• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speaking of Scams

The third one looks like it's the real thing. If you click on the "Exotic Motors" link to the right, you can see they take all of their car pictures in the same location.

The other two appear to be scams. To the second scammer's credit, they didn't pick an obviously-scammy price.

Interesting that Auto Trader has no "Report Scam" link.

There are multiple NSX autotrader scams going on now. I toyed with some a'hole who listed a black '05 with 2k miles for $60. The scammers are sometimes listing at least reasonable prices to better draw you in. The zip was listed as "90210" and the phone number was bunk. When I emailed the dick (from a junk email address of course) he quickly changed the story because I was close enough to come to see the car.

"Oh I made a mistake because I didn't know how to use ebay (the add was on autotrader, dumbass) and I actually live in Texas". Let him have it with both barrels after that. Kinda fun. :biggrin:

His last email was; "I want your hard earn money, chicken". Gotta be Nigeria.
edit:
Hey, it's still there, but the phone number has changed. More fun for everyone..

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...09&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=53

Last edited:
AHHH I seen this NSX for 20k Couldnt understand it !

Now I realize its a common thing then :( too bad.

Well its all good. Maybe the legit seller should be made aware of this scam

as someone who is shopping for an NSX (3rd one:tongue:)I get so sick of seeing so many GD scams on autotrader.com...They are obvious to most of us, but annoying as hell:mad: I notified Auotrader.com about how many are on the site daily and told them how to easily stop 99% of them by making sure the phone number is legit, but never got a reply and 5-10 scam NSX's are filling up the pages daily...It's seems autotrader.com could care less as long as they get the $49 bucks!!!:mad:

WoW they didnt do anything about it ?

That sucks, I guess autotrader isnt really a good source anymore

These things happen all the time and it's too bad Autotrader doesn't do anything about it.

Sine they make money, I guess they don't need to.

We need a site that takes scammers seriously.. hmm..:rolleyes:

Ah, they've changed the scam a little. It used to be there was just an excess because someone at their end gave them a check that was too big. Now they have a more reasonable excuse for the overage, and instead of sending it back, you send it to some bogus shipper.

It's too bad there's no easy way to waste a lot of their time. You can never stop them, but it'd be nice if there were a good way to slow them down a lot. Even making them write custom emails by asking them odd questions is making them waste 10-30 minutes, as they laboriously figure out how to write something unusual in English.

well I try to take up as much of their time as possible. One guy sent me two separate ovrnight checks... i figure that's $10 out the door from his end..

You're right about the more reasonable prices thing. I inquired on a Black 91 listed for $18,000 (low, but plausible). After asking the standard snap ring, etc basic questions I got this in response:

--------------------
Hello,

Thanks for your interest in my car listed on Auto Trader. A little bit about myself, I am a Air Force Reservist Combat Medic/Medical Technician. Currently I am on Active Duty Orders in Iraq. I have my B.A. from Otterbein College and intend on taking two years of undergraduate science classes and applying to Medical School. Until last year I attended a church heavily involved in missions in South East Asia but now I was send in Iraq working as Medical Technician. I am selling my car because I want to relocate in Europe where I will study medicine for the next 6 years. The vehicle is in perfect condition both mechanically and cosmetically. Was never involved in any accidents and the engine runs fine. The title is clear and I have all the service records and paperwork. I have left the car in US at the shipping company United Road Auto Transport who will handle delivery to your location. The financial transaction will go through Yahoo! Autos and Auto Trader. If you are ready to buy the car please email me your full name and shipping address so I can set up shipping and the transaction. The total price including shipping and transaction fees is $18,000. I must sell the vehicle as soon as possible so please contact me only if you are really interested in buying the Acura.

SGG Alfaro, Alexander
US Air Force
--------------------------------

It's clearly a scam, so I replied that I was no longer interested and had bought a different NSX. But, if someone wants to mess with him, his email is [email protected]. I'm too busy, but I'm sure there are all sorts of fun things you can do to waste his time, like asking him about his AF unit, where he is deployed, etc... Car listing is here: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=246656896&dealer_id=62813327&car_year=1991&model=NSX&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1991&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=ACURA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=11050&advanced=&end_year=1991&doors=&transmission=&max_price=20000&cardist=46

Back