• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spec clutches any good??

Looking at getting a new clutch because mine is about gone. I'm looking at Dali's Spec Clutch kit with lite Fly wheel $1300. Or is there a better clutch kit in that ball park? Has anyone used this clutch??
Thanks

I have the spec stage 2 clutch with the spec flywheel. It's not bad, but it does take a long time to break in. Initially my clutch chattered heavily, so be careful. Mine took almost 1500 miles to break in, but works better now. Pedal pressure is higher than the OEM clutch, so that also takes time getting used to it.

If your car is not heavily modified and is street use only, the OEM might be a better choice since it is easy to use.

If you do decide to go with spec, you can also order the new clutches directly from them for a little more.

I have a spec 2.5 and it chattered for a little bit. What I found is that if you baby the clutch it does this. When I drove the car harder, it was fine. maybe gettting glazing due to the extended pushing? I think the clutch needs a faster push and is like and on/off type clutch. I do like it. if you get the clutch and are interested in a lightened flywheel, its better you get the flywheel from Spec as well. It has better tolerence than the Fidanza unit. I haven't had any issues really other than the chattering, but gone after working the clutch harder. I think SOS's issues were from the Fidanza units they had, and those were kind of early units from Spec back then. Probably needed more R&D during that time.

I installed a exedy stage 3 clutch ( 1300 bucks) a few weeks ago..The first 500 miles was REALLY hard driving..It chatterred like crazy and was like an on off button..

But for the past 100 miles it has subdued quite nicely with little chatter and it's much lighter now. Over all pretty easy to live with now...My only gripe is when stopped at a red light going up hill. This clutch is still hard to master in those circumstances..But Im hoping it will lighten a lil more..

I went with Exedy Stage 2 and I love it. Not as smooth as oem, but it is a rockstar on the country roads when I am driving hard and it's PURPLE! :biggrin:

BTW - the chatter never gets much better in first gear. If you only drive it in stop and go traffic to work I would pass on Exedy and Spec.

I have installed many Centerforce clutches(SoS clutch). All have been well done, and have lasted a long time. I highly recommend them. I have used both the standard flywheel and the lightweight version with it, no issue either way.

I have installed it with an N/A setup as well as a CTSC, no issues. It is not designed for monster power, but if you are up to standard boost (6-7psi) with a CTSC, it is a great clutch choice. OEM pedal feel, smooth engagement.

Chris at SoS and myself have both felt the pain of Spec Clutches. I will not install one again. JMO

HTH,
LarryB

I have installed many Centerforce clutches(SoS clutch). All have been well done, and have lasted a long time. I highly recommend them. I have used both the standard flywheel and the lightweight version with it, no issue either way.

I have installed it with an N/A setup as well as a CTSC, no issues. It is not designed for monster power, but if you are up to standard boost (6-7psi) with a CTSC, it is a great clutch choice. OEM pedal feel, smooth engagement.

Chris at SoS and myself have both felt the pain of Spec Clutches. I will not install one again. JMO

HTH,
LarryB

i just make a research that the stage 1 for 97 NA2 only cost around 800-900. price is kinda too "cheap"?? Exedy Hyper Single Clutch Acura NSX 3.2L 97-01 cost around 1000.

Last edited:
I had a spec in my 91.

as above poster said, it does chatter a lot. Its due to the aggressive pad material. When the clutch gets some use, it quiets down.

I would not put another spec clutch in my car.

Spec was a cheap Chinese clutch that got mainstream 8 month ago through advertising at drift events and low cost on feebay.

Previous to last year I recomended Spec to all of my customers as an alternative to stock clutches. In the past I have worked closely with spec in the design of their lightweight flywheel for the 97+ NSX's. To make a long story short. The last spec clutch I intstalled was crap. The clutch disc was warped out of the box. Spec WOULD NOT send me a new one prior to me shipping the warped one to them for inspection. After sending them the new warped disc for them to inspect it....then getting another one....it was warped as well. It took WAY too long to get it all squared away. Nobody should have to go through all the crap I went through with them.

I WOULD NEVER INSTALL ANOTHER SPEC CLUTCH.....

The SOS clutch or the CT powergrips are the best alternatives to stock.

JMO.

Larry B. I agree with you.....Long time no talk man....hope your doin well.

Barney

Back