• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Special interest insurance or regular, NSX owners please chime in!

So I've been trying to deal with Hagerty to insure my NSX under special interest and they keep giving me problems. Even though I have my 86 Mustang under collector with them.

I wanted to insure the car under this to save money every month since having 6 cars insured all the time is expensive, to add the nsx under normal insurance will probably be another 120 a month where as Hagerty would cost roughly 550 a year.

Anyway, my question is, what is everyone using to insure their nsx? Regular insurance, special interest and with whom? What problems did they give insuring it and with what requirements?

Last week I got the car appraised by an independent automotive appraiser I hope that helps with dealing with Hagerty.

So I've been trying to deal with Hagerty to insure my NSX under special interest and they keep giving me problems. Even though I have my 86 Mustang under collector with them.

I wanted to insure the car under this to save money every month since having 6 cars insured all the time is expensive, to add the nsx under normal insurance will probably be another 120 a month where as Hagerty would cost roughly 550 a year.

Anyway, my question is, what is everyone using to insure their nsx? Regular insurance, special interest and with whom? What problems did they give insuring it and with what requirements?

Last week I got the car appraised by an independent automotive appraiser I hope that helps with dealing with Hagerty.

Regular insurance with an M postal code and paying well under $120 a month.

I'm with Silver Wheels, but under their "Custom & modified" plan. All they require is an appraisal.

I went through a few hoops trying to get my car insured. 1, it's more than 15 years old. That eliminates some insurance companies like Belair Direct. 2, my car is modified. 02+ conversion, even using OEM parts, is considered a significant modification. TD Insurance rejected me. I finally got my insurance with Hagerty at ~$700 a year.

Silver Wheels (which is now Hagerty).

Had absolutely no issues and had insurance docs within a day all ready before picking up my car. I then followed up with an appraiser; which then ended up changing my insurance by $34 more a year. Cost per year depends on value of vehicle.

It is also a 19a endorsement so I'm not getting only $1000 (as per TD based on year). Stipulation is that it is not my daily driver and won't be taking it shopping.

It seems like it depends on the broker. I use competition insurance.

http://www.competition.ca

Everyone with Hagerty did they disclose that your daily had to be 2007 or newer?

No, just that I had to have a daily already insured and 10 years of good driving. Emphasis on the 10 year with a Driver's Abstract (available at CAA, AMA/CAA for you Alberta folk who get confused between AMA and CAA).

Finally, hagerty called us back and now added the nsx to our policy. What a relief Ive been stressing.

Ended up being 550 a year :)

I'm with Hagerty and saved over $500/yr by switching and yes, you have to have a "daily" drive. Same broker as before, never questioned anything - just switched.

I've been using TD Financial (Security National) for over 8 years now and I've always paid around $100 - $110 a month. However, since I don't drive my car very much, it's usually just on comprehensive during the year and I activate collision in the summer months.

I think comprehensive is only about $11 a month and I simply pay for the months that I activate it. I've got 3 cars on the insurance so there is a multivehicle discount and I can always swap a car off of collision when I put collision on the NSX.

It's a bit more trouble but at least it's fully insured and there are no restrictions and you can drive it like a daily driver if you want. I had it appraised when I first added the car to the policy.

FYI - I'm paying $81/mth fully insured all year long with a value over $50k - and I think I said I drive it 10k per year. Dalton Timmis is my Agent if interested

Finally, hagerty called us back and now added the nsx to our policy. What a relief Ive been stressing.

Ended up being 550 a year :)

$400 a year for me (as per insured appraised amount). That's right folks, per year, not per month. With coverage on towing and $7kish in spare parts (as in sitting in garage) as part of comprehensive.

I'm paying $854/year for my 1997 NSX-T. I pay $703 for my 2007 TL, so there is a multi-vehicle discount. I just had an appraisal done on July 19 and they valued it $43,000.
This is in Halifax, so I'm not sure if location determines rates.

Not sure if they offer coverage up in Canada

I have a stated value policy with Grundy

$764 a year for $50K

If something bad happens, they hand me a check for $50K
(no adjuster, no depreciation, no bs, etc)

Must prove you have an insured daily driver

its collectors insurance with no mileage restrictions

no racing, rally driving, etc

I'm on Hagerty and never had problems with them. Full coverage, just need a good driving record and a DD. When I sold the NSX they even put my 2008 S2KCR on it, which surprised me but they said it was a collectors car. Curerently costs me $520/yr (NSX was $550/yr).

Hey Oyagi
I'm surprised on the coverage on the 2008 S2KCR. I was under the impression that the car had to be 14+ years as special interest (ie Sports, convertibiles etc, or 25 years as an antique)
I tried to get coverage on a 03, 996 and they told me it was too new to qualify.
Nicely done if they are covering it.

D

Geebus wish we had private insurance companies here. Mine is $1100/yr insured at $70k as pleasure use( not allowed to drive to work or school)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

My 86 - 300zx turbo cost $72/year FULL coverage with Hagerty...........you gotta love it, and it gets driven the most since I consider it to be my truck and holds 8' lumber perfectly :>)

My 86 - 300zx turbo cost $72/year FULL coverage with Hagerty...........you gotta love it, and it gets driven the most since I consider it to be my truck and holds 8' lumber perfectly :>)

I thought you don't drive regular cars :p

Hey.....I've had it 25 yrs, so back then it "was not" a regular car, still isn't with 225 hp, and it makes a great truck and winter car with snows - lots of fun drifting it around corners........but I guess it is kinda regular these days, sort of like the NSX - just a car!

Hey Oyagi
I'm surprised on the coverage on the 2008 S2KCR. I was under the impression that the car had to be 14+ years as special interest (ie Sports, convertibiles etc, or 25 years as an antique)
I tried to get coverage on a 03, 996 and they told me it was too new to qualify.
Nicely done if they are covering it.

D

Yeah, I was like :eek: and then I was like :cool:

I had both my GTR and NSX insured with Hagerty and when I told them I have sold both for the CR, they just transferred the plan over. Maybe they didn't want to lose my account?

I'm surprised to hear Hagerty has taken over Silver wheels. I originally was with Silver but didn't like all their restrictions so I switched to Hagerty. I was shocked when the new papers arrived to see they were both underwritten by Aviva Insurance.

Back