• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spoon Sports 4 Pot Calipers for NSX?

I want to purchase a set of Spoon 4 Pot Calipers for my NSX.

Does anyone know if it's the Twin Block caliper (as used on a DC2 ITR)

Or if it is a MonoBlock (as used on the S2000/RSX)?

I am not sure if anyone here may know the answer as these calipers aren't widely used on NSX's here in the states.

However, I do know that NA1-T here on prime, as well as Phase NSX, uses these calipers.

I had them on my old DC2 Integra Type R and loved them. But I am not sure what type of caliper I need to buy, as well as what Rotor I should use... OEM or aftermarket.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've attached a picture of them on my old DC2 ITR for reference...

RET_mikey_flagship3.jpg

i had a set of the calipers in stock, along with the rotors.....

i held them up to a '04 accord V6 coupe's rotors and they were the same diameter, and thickness.

almost all hondas/acuras run the same bolt pattern for the caliper.

i pulled it all apart, and it fit no problem........ just had to trrim the dust shield.

dont know if that helps..... but though you would like to know.

when i get another caliper set back in stock, i'll see if they match to my NSX

-Ray

Thanks for the reply NA1#2853...

Which calipers did you have? The Twin or MONOblock? Also, what rotors did you have? Spoon rotors for a specific car? Please let me know as well as what type of pricing you have available.

Thanks alot!
4pot-Caliper.jpg

Info from A&J Racing (www.aj-racing.com)

The Spoon 4-pot caliper has been specifically designed and tested for Honda applications. Unlike other 4-pot calipers, Spoon calipers are direct fit and are designed to work with the stock brake system, including the ABS. Spoon calipers use stock Honda size brake pads, which gives users incredible flexibility in choosing pads. The 4-pot calipers significantly improve both high speed braking and brake pedal feel and its consistency during track use. The 4-pot design also makes pad wear more even and minimizes rotor warpage. The aluminum construction also helps reduce unsprung weight significantly. These benefits are achieved while maintaining a stock feel for daily driving. Spoon calipers are manufactured by Nissin, the OE supplier of all Honda brakes. The twin-block caliper was developed over a year specifically for the EK9 Civic Type R and DC2 Integra Type R. For the S2000, Spoon designed the mono-block caliper, whose one piece construction improved rigidity. The mono-block version is recommended for new generation Hondas such as the DC5 and EP3

Spoon Caliper Data

-
Spoon Weight
Stock Weight

S2000
2.6kg (monoblock)
4.7kg

Integra Type R DC2
2.4kg (twinblock)
5.2kg

I used the Twin Block caliper.

It was a complete bolt on to the accord. The Accord, Prelude, Integras, and Civics all have the same two hole bolt spacing for the calipers.

BUT, the hub/knuckle locates the caliper to match the Diameter & Thickness of the rotor. IE: when putting Integra brakes on a "EG" Civic DX, you have to get the Integra knuckles to move the calipers out far enough to clear the larger Integra rotors.

I have no doubt that the Twin Block or the Mono Block will bolt to the NSX.

BUT, i need to check the NSX rotor specs.....Remember the thread about the NSX caliper difference from 91-96 & 97+ The calipers were about the same but it was the caliper brackets that located them out further for the larger rotor. (they didnt want to build another knuckle it was cheaper to change the braket)

The worst the might happen if you will have to get a rotor made, or swap out a rotor from another Honda car. But from what i saw, i double that that will have to happen on the 91-96s, maybe the 97+ will have to use 91-96 rotors.

-Ray

bumping an old thread....anyone know if the spoon monoblock(s2000) calipers fit on 02+ nsx's as a direct bolt on?

Last edited:
I just finished test fitting mine. You actually need Accord type R/TSX 45020-MBF-GOO. Brake pads can be S2000 or RSX Type S (I used RSX pads since I was not sure if the S2000 pads would be AP1/AP2). I will create a thread when I install them.

DSCN4790.jpg

DSCN4789.jpg

Last edited:
just be careful which monoblock you go with:

caliper_comparison%20copy.jpg

as the piston size varies due to front or back mounting of the caliper.

i was debating on keeping my project mu s2000 calipers but decided to buy nsx specific later on down the road.

the spoon monoblock idea seems cool too. i wonder what rotor size it'll match up to as mine are RB 324mm :confused:

Correct....

I purchased some monoblock's for a S2000 and found out they were the incorrect ones. The S2000 calipers is rear mounted and the Accord/TSX is a front mounted caliper. Since mine is a 99, I can also use my stock rotors.

so would we run s2k for the rears? than

Correct....

I purchased some monoblock's for a S2000 and found out they were the incorrect ones. The S2000 calipers is rear mounted and the Accord/TSX is a front mounted caliper. Since mine is a 99, I can also use my stock rotors.

I just spoke to a dealer in town and asked him for 45020-MBF-GOO, front mounted calipers. He said that they were not in stock, and had to special order from Japan. However his supplier said that they have 45020-MBR-GOO, rear mounted in stock. He said it was the same caliper and all you have to do is remove the hard line and the bleeder valves, and swap positions and that will make it a front mount. He does it often. Makes sense. So I'm wondering if you can do that to the S2000 calipers to make it front mount.

How much larger are the spoon calipers compared to oem na2 also can I run slotted rotors with them

Last edited:
Back