• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spoon Sports Blue Wide Rear View Mirror Upgrade

When I purchased my '02 NSX this summer, one of the very few things that I saw needed immediate attention was the OEM rear view mirror. It suffered from the common silvering issue and not only looked bad but provided for poor rear visibility :frown:

21473nk.jpg

A replacement OEM mirror is nearly $200 and if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I should just install a Gentec mirror like I have in my Prelude. But the NSX's unique mirror mounting method complicated that upgrade plan for me. Since the car is so new to me, I am apprehensive about breaking loose the OEM windshield mount and possibly cracking my windshield. I think the Gentec is still my ultimate solution but I found a great intermediate solution. Spoon Sports makes an upgrade kit that includes a new, blue-tinted convex mirror that easily applies over the existing glass:

160viip.jpg

It is only $55 http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5410&idcategory=0#details at JHPUSA.com so it's a pretty frugal way to go. 76400-BRM-001 is the fitment needed for the NSX. Of course the installation instructions included are only in Japanese but it's a pretty straight forward process. On the rear of new mirror are 3 double-sided tape strips - the one in the middle is noticeably thicker to offset the curvature of the glass. What was initially a bit of a mystery was the suction cup that was included in the kit. After a bit of head scratching, I realized that the cup was to be used to hold the mirror while attaching it to the old mirror. So, I cleaned the original mirror glass with alcohol to remove all of the old grease etc. and removed the backing from the 3 tape strips. Then, I attached the suction cup to the center of the new mirror to provide a handle and guided the mirror into position:

2n05tt2.jpg

This next step was probably not necessary but I decided to err on the side of caution. I wrapped a microfiber towel around the mirror and new glass and then wrapped a small bungee cord around that to apply even pressure and insure that the adhesive bonded strongly. I let that sit overnight (again, probably not necessary) before removing it. This is how it looks before putting it back into the car:

fwhun6.jpg

Here it is installed:

6qb6ma.jpg

The clarity and field of view out the rear of the car is now fantastic! It's as good as it can possibly get anyway, with the periscope-like slit that we have to work with :smile: Here's a view of the mirror looking up from below. You can easily see how convex the glass really is:

2u4hlqg.jpg

I would give this product a 9.5 out of 10 rating. The half-point deduction is only because there is no bezel provided to "finish-out" the installation and make it look a bit nicer but I suppose that would be very difficult since these mirrors are designed to fit many different Honda/Acura vehicles. Small bits of the old mirror surface are visible around the edges and that is a little distracting at first. In hindsight, I should have blackened the perimeter of the old mirror with a Sharpie or something like that before installing the new mirror. Despite that, this was an inexpensive and simple upgrade that I am very happy with :biggrin:
21473nk.jpg

Last edited:
I just purchased one of these. Makes my side mirrors almost useless. Or I should say I have a much wider view altogether now!

Ive had mine for almost 2 years. I don’t event notice it anymore (good) and it works as suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had mine for a year as well and am happy with it. Previously used a Broadway mirror that attaches in front of the OEM mirror in my first NSX. The Broadway was better since it was so much larger, but it looked silly from the front of the car.

Back