• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spoon to Import NSX-R

i just re read the article on road & track and as it turns out, they ran the course in reverse so that would explain the huge descrepancy in time. but the GTR in the road and track article still lapped in the 1:25 second range while the nsx-r GT ran in the low 1:31 second range. that is a 6 second difference but when 2 D1 drivers did a time attack in the normal direction the time difference between the two cars was less than 1 second.
FYI -

GT Channel did Counter Clockwise with Blow-pass (which is an additional hairpin).

R&T did the course Clockwise (which has been traditionaly ~0.2 seconds faster) WITHOUT Blow-pass (the additional hairpin).

Despite the course direction advantage, their was an additional 1-2 second advantage for the R&T test from not using blow-pass.

You've read the R&T article, plus only going 1 second faster in the NSX-R GT than a stock NSX???

FYI -

GT Channel did Counter Clockwise with Blow-pass (which is an additional hairpin).

R&T did the course Clockwise (which has been traditionaly ~0.2 seconds faster) WITHOUT Blow-pass (the additional hairpin).

Despite the course direction advantage, their was an additional 1-2 second advantage for the R&T test from not using blow-pass.

You've read the R&T article, plus only going 1 second faster in the NSX-R GT than a stock NSX???

yeah thats basically it, only 1.5 seconds faster than a stock 05.

yeah thats basically it, only 1.5 seconds faster than a stock 05.
:confused:

The GT Channel drivers did a low 1:25 in the GTR and a high 1:25 in the NSX-R GT going CCW with blowpass.

If the GT Channel drivers did the R&T configuration (CW without blowpass), the track configuration alone would equate to close to 1.5-2 seconds faster meaning that the GT Channel drivers would have done a 1:23ish and 1:24ish in the GTR and NSX-R GT respectively. This is compared to the time the R&T driver did a 1:31 in the NSX-R GT. That's a 7 second difference between drivers!

And the NSX-R GT is much faster than 1 second than a NSX. The tires alone equate to over 1 second faster.

^Agreed, $120K seems a bit pricey if you ask me. Can't you pick-up a used Gallardo or used 360 Modena Challenge Stradale for that kind of money?

This is an excerpt from the article:
Spoon's custom damper kit, which helped our test car run through the slalom at 70.2 mph and pull 0.97g around the 200-ft.-diameter skidpad. An HKS GT3037 turbocharger has been installed, raising the 3.2-liter V-6's output to 420 bhp at 7500 rpm and 289 lb.-ft. of torque at 5500 rpm. This allows the 2795-lb. car to race to 60 mph in a scant 4.0 sec. and to the quarter in 12.5.

No offense to this car, but these are C5Z06 times. And if I’m shelling out that kind of money ($500,000) I’d want times nowhere near a $25,000 Corvette. I’m sure the driving dynamics, on the GT, are race-car like but seriously for that kind of money I wouldn’t want to know a stock C5Z06 Vette can keep up.

I just read the article, wow, $500,000 for a NSX-R GT, that is expensive stuff. Wouldn't people rather have a Porsche Carrera GT or maybe a Gumpert Apollo for that price? Or almost any other exotic?
If you look at the comparison chart vs the normal NSX it's not that much better. And only 1.5 secs faster, hmmmmmmmm...

Then go buy a C5 Z06 if all you care about is performance. I admit that the price is pretty stiff. It should be closer to $80-$90k if they are essentially refreshed used NSXs. Either way the performance claims are probably conservative. 420 Hp and 2800 lbs car. I am sure many can pull mid to high 11 sec 1/4 miles with those numbers given the right tires and launch. I mean the C5Z06 and C6Z06 1/4 mile numbers are too close considering the ~100 hp difference.

This Spoon NSX-R may be a beast though. At only 420 hp, the ~900 lbs difference let's it compete with the GTR easily as you can see in many of the comparisons. These are truly modern supercar numbers with less than modern specs. Not many can reach the 11 sec 1/4 mile and perform on the track like these cars. It's only when people throw in the Corvette name that it cheapens the numbers and makes you think, psshh that's normal.

Then go buy a C5 Z06 if all you care about is performance. I admit that the price is pretty stiff. It should be closer to $80-$90k if they are essentially refreshed used NSXs. Either way the performance claims are probably conservative. 420 Hp and 2800 lbs car. I am sure many can pull mid to high 11 sec 1/4 miles with those numbers given the right tires and launch. I mean the C5Z06 and C6Z06 1/4 mile numbers are too close considering the ~100 hp difference.

This Spoon NSX-R may be a beast though. At only 420 hp, the ~900 lbs difference let's it compete with the GTR easily as you can see in many of the comparisons. These are truly modern supercar numbers with less than modern specs. Not many can reach the 11 sec 1/4 mile and perform on the track like these cars. It's only when people throw in the Corvette name that it cheapens the numbers and makes you think, psshh that's normal.

I did purchase a 2003 Corvette Z06.

The 420HP, 2800lbs NSX-R is the NSX-R GT version, which costs $500,000. I don't deny those aren't supercar numbers, All I'm saying for that price I wouldn't want a $25,000 C5Z06 to even be within the same ballpark, let alone pull the same numbers.

Forget about 1/4 mile times, since that's not the NSX's strong point. If you look at the other numbers: 0-60, slalom, grip a ($60,000) ExigeS can pull better numbers.

I did purchase a 2003 Corvette Z06.

The 420HP, 2800lbs NSX-R is the NSX-R GT version, which costs $500,000. I don't deny those aren't supercar numbers, All I'm saying for that price I wouldn't want a $25,000 C5Z06 to even be within the same ballpark, let alone pull the same numbers.

Forget about 1/4 mile times, since that's not the NSX's strong point. If you look at the other numbers: 0-60, slalom, grip a ($60,000) ExigeS can pull better numbers.

Yea, on paper, the slalom, grip and 0-60 are not that impressive either. These numbers are too close to determine which car would be better. It would only be better suited if you got times from various tracks. It does suck that the only 5 cost 500K and it looks ugly as crap IMO, so it really not worth it at all. A supercharged coupe with supporting mods could pull similar numbers for around $60K or so (35K for a low mileage coupe, 11K for the SC and such, 14K for IHE, weight reduction, suspension, and wheels. I was referring to the refresed NSX-R in general in the first part as per the $120K pricetag. I should have been more distinct when I referred to the Spoon version GT and many other FI NSX with similar specs as comparison to the supercars.

C5 Z06 is an amazing car for the price. Replace the seats, change the horrendous runflats to a better tire, and you're good to go tracking and pull even higher numbers and lower lap times than the already impressive stock performance.

Personally i'd throw on some KW double-adjustable coilovers and replace the archaic (but works) leaf springs.

You can turbo an NSX to make 500whp for $15k-ish. another 3k for an amazing suspension, $4k for wheels and tires, and for less than $50K you can have a car that almost nothing can touch on the street or track, with Ferrari Enzo 1/4 mile times of low-sub 11s.

But is a vicous cycle, well X could beat Y with ____ supporting mods, well Y could beat X with _____ supporting mods, who cares...

Have fun with your Z06, if you need any more info on different coilover (including KW) options for your vette, shoot me a pm.

C5 Z06 is an amazing car for the price. Replace the seats, change the horrendous runflats to a better tire, and you're good to go tracking and pull even higher numbers and lower lap times than the already impressive stock performance.

Personally i'd throw on some KW double-adjustable coilovers and replace the archaic (but works) leaf springs.

You can turbo an NSX to make 500whp for $15k-ish. another 3k for an amazing suspension, $4k for wheels and tires, and for less than $50K you can have a car that almost nothing can touch on the street or track, with Ferrari Enzo 1/4 mile times of low-sub 11s.

But is a vicous cycle, well X could beat Y with ____ supporting mods, well Y could beat X with _____ supporting mods, who cares...

Have fun with your Z06, if you need any more info on different coilover (including KW) options for your vette, shoot me a pm.

Actually the C5Z06 does not come with run-flats. It also does not have a spare or jack. GM provide you with a can of "goo" and small air-pump if you get a flat.

Yes, I think a 1994 NSX with your above mentioned mods for a total of around $60,000 (including price of the car) or so would be a much better "investment" vs the NSX-R GT.
Yah that's another thing about modding cars is where does it end. As you said is true, sure you can throw $20,000 on an NSX, but you can do that to any other car.

Actually the C5Z06 does not come with run-flats. It also does not have a spare or jack. GM provide you with a can of "goo" and small air-pump if you get a flat.

Yes, I think a 1994 NSX with your above mentioned mods for a total of around $60,000 (including price of the car) or so would be a much better "investment" vs the NSX-R GT.
Yah that's another thing about modding cars is where does it end. As you said is true, sure you can throw $20,000 on an NSX, but you can do that to any other car.

i would seriously take stuntman's word of wisdom for more than a grain of salt since he is one of the fastest time attack drivers in the usa.

I know the C6 Z06 had runflats, I guess the C5 dosn't. You can still replace the factory tires with a much better street or R-compound tire and greatly increase the performance of the car.

Yes you can put that much into any car, but IMO a 500whp NSX with the mods listed could hold its own if not beat most other 500whp modified/aftermarket FI platforms out there. Just look at the time attack and NASA HPDE weekend laptimes...

Still love the Z06 and enjoy tracking it.

The NSX-R GT was created by Honda solely to comply with the Super GT production-based race car homologation requirements. As JGTC rules required at least five production cars for any race car version to compete, the NSX-R GT was limited to a production run of only five cars. They wouldn't sell you one even if you did have the money.

Back