• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spoon to make LHD NSX Type-R For U.S. Buyers

Re: NSX Type-R for the U.S.

It just sounds like they are modifying out a stock NSX, and not really making it an NSX-R. For an 'NSX-R' I would want it to look and perform like one, with all original NSX-R suspension, motor, transmission, and interior pieces.

Why has nobody here just sourced a 1992 NSX-R through Canada and the more relaxed importing laws there regarding cars of 15 years of age and older? That way you get a REAL NSX-R.

~ Mitch ~

Looks like the Spoon NSX will get around a little while in the US.

I read that "See the Spoon Sports NSX-R Twin Turbo at the Slipstream Drifting Event @ Infinion Raceway Sept. 12-13th "

Someone go take some pics for us, get more info!!

The performance aspect of the NSX-R can be achieved through self modifying by using NSX-R parts and dieting. Unless Spoon can make it complete NSX-R (ECU, Shift Lights, all interior trims, and more).

From watching the video, they are doing the performance parts and seats, nothing else.

I guess we all have to wait and see.

Yeah that's disappointing. I was hoping they'd be able to figure out how to get us ( power steering guys ) the NSX-R rear diff and tranny:frown:

Someone's trying to milk the NSX-R cow!

When I first talked to Edmun it truly didn't seem that way but he couldn't give any details as the entire package was still being worked out.

First it was RHD NSXs from Japan would be converted to LHD and given the full NSX-R treatment and you could order NA1 or NA2.

Then we were told that they we're going to take LHD NSXs and convert them with ECU , Suspension , weight savings ( seats, wheels sound deadening removal ) tranny. Full spec.

No we seem to be getting the NSX-R looks conversion:confused: WTF! Well hopefully at the very least they'll get stuff we can use such as the seats which seem to be being shown or mentioned in every article. An affordable version or the real deal at a good price of the NSX-R or Type S seats would be worth it. Plus Spoon performance goodies will be nice.

Still a far cry from how this originally started:frown:

I'm intrested, so spoon is selling used car with NSX-R conversions? I think if honda brings the last NSX-R for 100K before the new one it will still sell.:biggrin:

Here's the content in question:

GTChannel Blog said:
...Anyway it looks like our very own unicorn is causing quite a stir in cyber space since last week. NSXPrime.com Forum The media thought they caught big foot in Georgia but that ended up being a frozen costume. There are skeptics out there about this car too but the car you see in this photos is the NSX-R GT tuned by Spoon. I'm not in position to go out there and defend legitimacy but all I know is that this car is one rare car. If you want to see for yourselves we will be exhibiting this car at various events hereon so feel free put it under your microscope. We'll be announcing where you will be able to see the car in person as the schedule is fixed. We're not hiding it.

No real information forwarded in either way. I don't think "R GT" validity will be confirmed until someone can check the VIN and any appropriate documentation. So what events are they going to and who wants to check out the VIN? :wink:

Here's the content in question:

No real information forwarded in either way. I don't think "R GT" validity will be confirmed until someone can check the VIN and any appropriate documentation. So what events are they going to and who wants to check out the VIN? :wink:
The car didn't have a VIN number in the window...

Place your bets!

This would be news IF they were street legal, but they are not, and NEVER will be.

Re: Place your bets!

This would be news IF they were street legal, but they are not, and NEVER will be.
That particular car (the Spoon car) has international plates so it is legal to drive on the street. There are only 5 real NSX-R GTs, so I don't think its a concern to anyone if they are street legal or not...

I don't see why the replica NSX-Rs from Spoon wouldn't be street legal either. They take US-spec cars which are registered and legal already, strip them down to the chassis and re-build them from the chassis-up with all the NSX-R chassis braces, suspension, brakes, interior, etc... They come back here and they are still an NSX with U.S. VIN numbers and registration...

Last edited:
Repairing an old car and refreshing it at an overseas shop, is not the same thing as taking a RHD JDM NSX and converting it into a US LHD car. Changing the seats requires a crash test, so something like drilling holes into the firewall is not going to fly. It is one thing to drill a hole to run a hose for an upgrade to power steering, but a LHD to RHD conversion means Spoon would need some sort of custom coach builder status.

I would love to be proven wrong, let us know when one legal example can be found registered in the US.

Repairing an old car and refreshing it at an overseas shop, is not the same thing as taking a RHD JDM NSX and converting it into a US LHD car. Changing the seats requires a crash test, so something like drilling holes into the firewall is not going to fly. It is one thing to drill a hole to run a hose for an upgrade to power steering, but a LHD to RHD conversion means Spoon would need some sort of custom coach builder status.

I would love to be proven wrong, let us know when one legal example can be found registered in the US.
From what I know, they are taking US LHD cars, taking them to Japan and being re-built from the ground up to NSX-R spec (staying LHD the whole time). Changing the seats requires a crash test? What about everyone who has an aftermarket seat in their car already? Why would they have to drill holes in the firewall if its already a LHD car? I think Spoon is keeping the car a LHD and is not doing a RHD conversion for the cars they are building for the states...

Quote from post #1:

"We all love rare Japanese imports here, and whether it's an rare FD3S RX-7 Spirit-R or the NSX Type-R, we've all dreamed of owning one at some time or another However, once we realize how impractical it is to be going RHD, and how much cop attention and questioning we'll get with the car, it's a dream that quickly subsides. That's where Spoon comes in. By fully reburbishing right hand drive NSX's from the chassis up, upgrading the engine and transmission components, and redoing the whole interior, Spoon has gone through the trouble of creating exact replicas of the NSX Type-R, which are available to the U.S. market buyers for 7 million yen (approx. $63.5k). The vehicle will be available in left hand drive of course, and you can find out more details on how to order your LHD NSX Type-R at http://www.spoon.jp/."

"Oh and regards to the refurbished left hand drive NSX-R by Spoon...this is true as our News Blog editor reported first. Several LHD Acura NSXs were exported from the US to Japan in the past. Spoon is scooping these cars up in Japan and converting them into LHD NSX Type Rs from chassis up. Everything is taken apart and rebuilt according to Type R specifications and more. These versions will be available by Spoon: Turbo, NA3.0, NA3.2, NA3.5L. Offered in individual throttle bodies, 5 speed, 6 speed, standard differential, racing LSD, basically however you want it. GTChannel is planning to get the first LHD Type R by the end of this year for testing. Can't wait..."

-More inconsistencies. :wink:. GT Channel should get one of the finished Spoon LHD NSX-Rs soon, so hopefully i'll find out more information and get to test it then too. :biggrin:

I found a pic from the past weekend. Not mine, just seached on the internets for it :biggrin:

formula-d-seattle-main129.jpg

Back