• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sport bikes

Last month I sold my ZX6R and picked up an '04 CBR 1000RR. This bike is sick! The power is simply incredible, like a non-stop rush. The only thing holding you back is the size of your nuts and the amount of road in front of you! You run out of pavement real fast - luckily the brakes are incredible. The front brakes on this bike are so crazy, before I sold the 6R I rode it to work one day after riding the CBR the day before. It felt like my 600 had no brakes. I almost rear ended someone b/c I was already used to the 1000 - and the thing handles like it's on rails, the limits of this bike are just so insanely high. These current liter bikes are crazy - and I love it!

chumch said:
What do you guys think of the Honda 919?

I like it a lot. I was considering it or the FZ1.

What tires are you guys running on the street?

Huckster, I have been having that problem keeping the front wheel down. ;) My youngest daughter gave me a long lecture, then she asked me if she could have a dirt bike. She is 5 and the other is almost 12. That is what I get for dragging them around with me to the track and all.

Last edited:
NO1zx6r, keep us posted on the new 1000cbr. I looked at those for a minute, but chose cheaper 03 954. I'm 6'1 almost 6'2 and felt like the 954 fit me a little better ergonomics wise. Yeah, they are insanely fast.

Len, Im running stock michelins for now. My little michelin man is half gone (hehe).

Anyone around here doing balance point wheelies? I'm not pushing it that far, and probably wont. I've been 11 o clock numerous times, but got people at home relying on me.....

What kinda riding gear you guys using? I personally never go out without full leathers, or at least leather coat and draggin jeans.

huckster said:
NO1zx6r, keep us posted on the new 1000cbr. I looked at those for a minute, but chose cheaper 03 954. I'm 6'1 almost 6'2 and felt like the 954 fit me a little better ergonomics wise. Yeah, they are insanely fast.

Len, Im running stock michelins for now. My little michelin man is half gone (hehe).

Anyone around here doing balance point wheelies? I'm not pushing it that far, and probably wont. I've been 11 o clock numerous times, but got people at home relying on me.....

What kinda riding gear you guys using? I personally never go out without full leathers, or at least leather coat and draggin jeans.

Tires: I went with the Michelin Pilot Roads. (Wear is better)
Gear: Jacket, Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Draggins or lined jeans. I don't have full leathers.
Wheelies:9 o'clock is about it for me through 3 gears, I also have them relying on me at home.

I will admit to a sweatshirt every now and then if I am just cruising and keeping the speeds down.
Never shorts or Sandals or short sleeves.

I have been riding motorcycles for 20+ years, and sportbikes for the last 10. I currently have an 02 R1, and have been tracking it for a little over a year now. If you haven't ridden a sportbike on the track, you simply haven't ridden!

nsxr1 said:
I have been riding motorcycles for 20+ years, and sportbikes for the last 10. I currently have an 02 R1, and have been tracking it for a little over a year now. If you haven't ridden a sportbike on the track, you simply haven't ridden!

I plan on it next summer. Going to take a course before just jumping out there.

Street bikes scare the shit out of me.

vtecNSX1 said:
Street bikes scare the shit out of me.
So does this mean every time you see a sport bike, you freak out and run away, because you're so scared? ..or do you just look the other direction, knees trembling, and just hope the bike didn't see you?
J/k, I know I'm a smart-a$$. :D :D :p

tochigidream said:
So does this mean every time you see a sport bike, you freak out and run away, because you're so scared? ..or do you just look the other direction, knees trembling, and just hope the bike didn't see you?
J/k, I know I'm a smart-a$$. :D :D :p

Haha no but seriously you gotta have huge balls to race one of those.

nice bikes......

Yeah, im all about getting out on the track, which i havent had the opportunity to do yet. But i really want to take it to the next level and refine my skills some more, street riding is starting to wear a little thin for me....

(deer, cars, and gravel oh my!!).

The new edition to the family, it arrived yesterday :D
upload1.jpg

that's some fleet you have there - that MV is beautiful. I hear the handling is just incredible

nice bike(s), beautiful in fact.

Im curious if anyone else is driving their bikes as hard as me. I have less than a 1/2 inch left on the front tire (chickenstrip), and less than 1 centimeter on the rear tire. I'm also gettin off the bike (knee down) for the most part. The dealer is encouraging track time. How hard do the rest of you guys/girls ride???

Thanks No1. I can't tell you about the handling yet. When the bike arrived the battery was dead. Hopefully I will have a chance to ride it this weekend.

NSXT, I looked and I can't believe I have no pictures of the car. That will be my next task this weekend.

Huckster, I do ride pretty hard but I don't push my limits on the street. You never know what's behind that turn. Sand and Debris is my number one concern.

This is off topic I guess but since the topics is "sport bikes" I thought I'd ask...

I'm seriously considering a street bike. I raced moto-cross when I was a kid - 100s, 125s, 250 and open class bikes. I've ridden quads - I have a yfz 450 that I ride with my kids who have quads.

I'm looking at Ducatis right now. I'm leaning toward a 749s but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm 42 and have never ridden on the street. Should I just forget about this and stick to my SUV and my NSX?

Suggestions and comments welcomed,

Thanks,

Barry

Im 38, and similar background with running dirtbikes hard as a kid. Had cruisers/harleys most of my adult life.

I personally really enjoy my cbr954rr, but honestly am getting bored with my 'road course'. Isolated country blacktops and all, not worried about the safety, but a sportsbike is not for tooling around IMO. Next year Im gonna get the required course and start tracking the bike.

Keeping with the above theme, in hindsight i would NOT buy another sportsbike just for running around the streets. Personally, i love the looks of Ducs, MVs etc, but id buy a true racing bike and get it to the track. I'm glad i bought the 954, cause it IS an out of the box trackable bike.

Maybe it is just my nature, but i dont enjoy taking it easy on a racebike. When i had cruisers i just putted around and never missed 'going fast', cause they arent designed for that.

Just MHO.

Re: sport bikes (I am in sooo much trouble)

Huckster, all. I have probably found the bike that I will keep for awhile (I mean it this time) :wink: . I had been waiting for a year for this to finally come out and now it has. I will be waiting until Aug - October for mine.

Attachments

• BMWK1200S.jpg
    BMWK1200S.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I just bought an 04 Triumph Daytona 600. Plenty of power for me just getting back on after 5 years off from a bad accident. I love riding.

Back