• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spring Rate/Drilled Rotors?

Fellas, I am looking at a Ground Control coilover setup for my 92. GC indicates this setup only comes with the adj koinis. I have viewed the info pages regarding suspensions, but still not completely clear on what spring rates to go with. The car is not tracked or raced, and i am happy with the factory ride, but mostly trying to get the ride height down a bit. I dont mind the firmness but I dont really want it any rougher as it already has low profile wheels/tires (Prodrive 215/40/17F and 255/35/18R). Considering spring rates of 375-400F/500R or 500F/600R? You guys have any thoughts on this?

Secondly need opinions on drilled rotors...do you think the drilled rotors are a lost cause due to the tiny rotor size? I realize it doesnt really do anything for performance but I'm afraid it might look silly with the 17/18 wheels. I've been looking for nsx pics but can seem to find any with drilled stock diameter rotors and aftermarket wheels. (also curious to see slotted!)

Thanks for any input,
Lee
1992 NSX
2005 RSX-S

crxtasy said:
Fellas, I am looking at a Ground Control coilover setup for my 92. GC indicates this setup only comes with the adj koinis. I have viewed the info pages regarding suspensions, but still not completely clear on what spring rates to go with. The car is not tracked or raced, and i am happy with the factory ride, but mostly trying to get the ride height down a bit. I dont mind the firmness but I dont really want it any rougher as it already has low profile wheels/tires (Prodrive 215/40/17F and 255/35/18R). Considering spring rates of 375-400F/500R or 500F/600R? You guys have any thoughts on this?

This guide might help you:

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/suspension/more_springs_matrix.cfm

crxtasy said:
Secondly need opinions on drilled rotors...do you think the drilled rotors are a lost cause due to the tiny rotor size? I realize it doesnt really do anything for performance but I'm afraid it might look silly with the 17/18 wheels. I've been looking for nsx pics but can seem to find any with drilled stock diameter rotors and aftermarket wheels. (also curious to see slotted!)

You're correct--I don't believe drilled rotors have ever shown any practical performance benefits, ever, in any form. Slotted rotors, however, are somewhat benficial. The slots can help "cleanse" the pad, keep the material uniform on the pad and help fight uneven pad deposits on the rotors. Formula One, NASCAR and the NSX Type-R all use slotted rotors.

Aesthetically speaking, IMO drilled rotors do look cool. Almost all major high-end manufacturers are using them now...:rolleyes: So I guess we've been sold a bill of goods that they really ARE cool...I have nothing against the drilled look--I had Dali slotted AND drilled for awhile and thought they looked cool. That might be a way to go for you--they're relatively inexpensive and it's a very good rotor (Powerslot blank). He's got drilled, slotted and slotted/drilled, dimpled/slotted.

I now have the Dali BBK with slotted and think it still looks cool. :smile:

When replacing the stock springs try to get the front springs about 10-20% stiffer than the rear.You might try to replicate the zanardi or S rates for a mostly street driven car.This site plus SOS has a list of spring rates.

docjohn said:
When replacing the stock springs try to get the front springs about 10-20% stiffer than the rear.You might try to replicate the zanardi or S rates for a mostly street driven car.This site plus SOS has a list of spring rates.

I'd suggest the Bilstein/Dali combo. It's about equivalent to the Zanardi/Type-S performance with a really stock ride feel b/c of that setup's progressive nature.

The Dali springs drop the car 1.25" and I thought that was really perfect for me. Avoid going any lower than that, though.

The Zanardi/Type-S springs only drop the car ~.5" and the Bilsteins w/ stock OEM springs only drop ~.875" on the lower perch. If you're looking for more drop, you'll need to look elsewhere.

IMO, with the Dali/Bilstein combo, I really felt that the ride was actually a bit softer on the highway-street than the OEM shocks/springs. It firms up nicely in the turns, however and it feels great at the track. One of the few suspension upgrades that doesn't require a real compromise--very rare.

Check out Dali and SOS for options and prices.

G

Back