• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

squeaky steering rack

It seems my manual steering rack is squeaking against its cylinder tube housing. Makes the most noise when steering wheel is moved 2"-3" from center position. And you can clearly feel and hear the noise within the tube.

This grating noise telescopes all the up to the steering wheel, to the point where it feels like the noise is in the steering column (it isn't, but it sure seems that way.)

The shop manual indicates removal and a lot of steps to get to the rack....while the noise is irritating, it is not driving me *that* nuts [yet].

Has anybody had this noise and how did they solve it?

Anybody grease up their steering rack?

thanks

Drew

Last edited:
Power or manual rack? My power rack started to squeak and I ended up swapping it out for a manual rack. I believe the manual rack can be refurbished whereas the power rack can't (yet). My squeak was more of a "chirp,chirp,chirp" and happened only turning one direction.

I don't think it's all that complicated to get to the rack though greasing it in the right spot may be the real trick.

It is a manual rack...I suspect I will have to disassemble and lube it up.

Strange that there are no other reports of this problem.

Drew

As far as I understand it's NOT the noise I call shattering while driving over road irregularities. Most of the 50+k miles manual racks do this. It's the tie rod guide in the manual gear box. If you happen to find a solution to this I would greatly appreciate a solution.

Back