• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SSR file bankruptcy

I just spoke with Alex at Tire Rack and was told SSR is in their equivalent of chapter 11 (restructuring). He also said that if SSR does go the way of the Dodo, Tire Rack would probably purchase the line.

Does this mean we cannot purchase SSR wheels anymore?
Will Tirerack still bring SSR wheels that are currently out of stock?

If I'm not mistaken, chapter 11 gives relief from debtors, while a trustee administers and restructures the company in order to repay. Not a good sign, but it didn't seem to hurt K-Mart.

I have a set of SSR AlCyber wheels, a few years old, and I destroyed the lug nut cap on one of the wheels. Several months ago, I tried to contact them to purchase another one and they e-mailed me back and told me that I'm outta luck as they have no spare parts for that wheel. So even if they are still in business, you might have a hard time getting replacement wheels and/or parts.

TigerNSX said:
Does this mean we cannot purchase SSR wheels anymore?
Will Tirerack still bring SSR wheels that are currently out of stock?

We currently have good stock, I am viewing this as a hick-up in the road. I am confident there will be more SSF from SSR to come in the future. Details as they are released, will follow.

Alex

KGP said:
If I'm not mistaken, chapter 11 gives relief from debtors, while a trustee administers and restructures the company in order to repay. Not a good sign, but it didn't seem to hurt K-Mart.

yeah, every telecom company and their mothers have filed chapter 11 at one point or another, but seem to keep on doing business without a hitch. That makes me worry though. :smile:

Maybe if they wouldn't have stopped making the Integral A2 they wouldn't have this problem (IMO the best looking wheel for the NSX :biggrin: ) :tongue:

Actually, this kinda stinks, if my evo doesn't sell, I planned on getting the GT2's for it. Maybe I'll have to look at some Advan's that are close to that look if it gets to that point....

Agree on the Integral A2's - great looking wheel on the NSX.

But I've had mine for about 5 years and need a change, so heads up that I'll be offering my set of 16"/17" for sale in March after my new wheels (Volk GT-U) arrive.

Interest list is forming now...

DaveG

well while we're on the subject, just so you guys know Wings West is gone now. They were bought out by VIS Racing. VIS Racing has yet to distribute wings west products, and it is not certain if they will. I know you guys like the wings west front lip, so get now if you can find it.
mike

Ive got the SSR GT3's on my NSX in 18/19 combo that I ordered from the Tire Rack. I love these wheels but if they go out of business, am I screwed? Should I order spares now or just buy new rims if they get bent? Ive always had a thing for those Volk Racing Av3s!!

I'm not sure what the loss of ssr has to do with issues of preexisting wheels :confused: Tire rack has provided the customer service issues.I hope the rack can find another alternative; light, clean looking ,inexpensive wheels for the track set.

I know there's more to it, but I am really surprised that SSR is in trouble. Judging by how many sets of wheels I've seen at BMW club events, the ratio of SSR wheels to anything else was easily over 3 to 1. Tirerack was selling a ton of competitions. Maybe SSR was selling at a loss or some scandle happened... :confused:

I've got a set of SSR Comps on my BMW and love them. I was considering getting a set for the NSX too. Pardon my ignorance, but if TR is out of stock on them now does that mean that they will never be re-stocked?

I don't know about SSR, but typically US companies continue to operate/restructure under Chapter 11. Chapter 7 (I believe) is when you lock the place up and go home.

DocJohn,

I think the point being made was that if SSR closes shop and you bend/trash a rim, you can no longer order a single replacement if they are not made. You are footing the bill for a set of 4 new rims from another manufacturer.

I just sold my 18/19 SSR GT3 rims, but I do like those rims and was hoping to get another set one day. I sure hope they can restructure and continue on as SSR has a lot of good nice rims. There are always SSR rims on my list when looking for a set.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Ive got the SSR GT3's on my NSX in 18/19 combo that I ordered from the Tire Rack. I love these wheels but if they go out of business, am I screwed? Should I order spares now or just buy new rims if they get bent? Ive always had a thing for those Volk Racing Av3s!!

Tirerack has heathy stock now, and more is on the water to us.

Alex

I will post when we have an offical update from SSR for you. Tirerack will continue to handle any warranty claims from current stock. I do belive this is not the last we'll see of SSF - just my speculation.

Alex

Back