• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SSR type F or Volk TE37

Which wheel is better? ssr type f or volk te37. Forget about the look. Looking at price/light weight over strength and quality.

The Volk TE37 is lighter and is a true Forged wheel.
SSR Type F is semi-solid forged, which isn't completely the same as a Forged wheel.

In any case, both wheels will be super strong, with the TE37 being slightly lighter for a given size.

The TE37, however, is a little more expensive per wheel at a given size (~$900 for a 18x9.5 vs the SSR at ~$680).

Conclusion: Get the TE37 for ultimate performance but the better value would be the SSR.

SSR Type F is semi-solid forged, which isn't completely the same as a Forged wheel.

In any case, both wheels will be super strong, with the TE37 being slightly lighter for a given size.

The TE37, however, is a little more expensive per wheel at a given size (~$900 for a 18x9.5 vs the SSR at ~$680).

Conclusion: Get the TE37 for ultimate performance but the better value would be the SSR.

So you actually KNOW about all the quality wheels and buy the cheap shit? :biggrin:

Concave on the left. The spokes bow inward.

TE37__44856_zoom.jpg

So I have a choice to have concave or not before I order.

It depends a lot on the sizes and offsets how much concave you get but if you don't get a lot, no one will want them used later because that is all its about now. Style has gone from fat lips, which I never liked, to concave designs.

What sizes are you getting?

There telling me to go huge. 17-8 & 18-10 and half. Tire size 235/40 & 295/30.

First of all a 235/40 will rub, for sure. So that is the first piece of bad advice. Second, a 295 is REALLY big in the rear, and not that close to factory diameter so your speedo and TCS will be thrown off. What is the purpose? looks? or performance? because I don't think you are getting either. If you want looks, a 17" front on a wheel with a lip will look small. TE37 has a lip. The spokes are shorter. If it's for performance, these are some heavy tires to throw onto a very lightweight wheel, and like I said they will rub. What year is your NSX?

Hapa, I am not sure your facts are accurate on this. The SSR F is Forged. It is forged after the aluminum is super heated, but it is still forged. I am also skeptical that a TE37 is definitely lighter... Do you know this for sure? Because my gut says the SSR sould be really light looking at the design and manufacturing process. SSR is a good manufacturer. Not saying you are wrong for sure but have you checked actuall weights in NSX sizing?

Last edited:
I'am after performance. On the NSX now is a 3 piece Simmons. I got that back in 1999 so It's time now. There telling me to take those heavy wheels off. I agree.

1991... Your right. How about 17-7 and a half and 18-9 and a half. Tire 215/40 and 265-35

I think that's a lot better. Good size for 1991 per Ken Sax's TCS info, and lots of great tires available. Just make sure you get the right offsets. TE37 is a classic and good looking wheel, should look good too if you are lowered a bit. The rotors on a BBK with a 17" look HUGE. Even the OEM brakes look not so small.

What wound be the right offset to be flush? 17-7 and a half and 18-9 and a half?

Depends on your defnition of flush but I would not go more aggressive than 45mm front and 35 rear. Some of this will just be dictated by what wheel you choose. You can't have every offset on any wheel. Some do go more aggressive, but you may be compromising performance.

We just had a big thread about this I started, its still in the top 5. Now you and another guy are asking questions regarding sizes and offsets at the same time, you should read each other's threads and the tread titled "why do we get the wrong size tire". Are you prepared to spend what TE37's cost?

Hapa, I am not sure your facts are accurate on this. The SSR F is Forged. It is forged after the aluminum is super heated, but it is still forged.

SSR uses a non-typical Forging process which they call "SSF" or Semi-Solid Forged. This is what SSR says about the differences:

"How does SSR's Semi-Solid-Forging compare to regular forging?
Wheels made from regular forging are heated and pressed into shape. Semi-Solid-Forging uses a different manufacturing process whereby the wheel material is semi-melted prior to high-pressure injection into a mold. Semi-Solid-Forging allows increased flexibility with creating innovative wheel designs while also providing high strength and light-weightedness. "

"By combining the best features of casting and forging, SSR implemented them in the manufacturing process of SSF. Further research led scientists to develop a process whereby mixing alloys during the solidification process changed the original microstructure of the alloy from a branch-like structure to a globule granular structure. Alumax then perfected the aluminum stirring process, Magneto-Hydro Dynamics (MHD), and created the basis of SSF technology which results in a pure cylindrical alloy billet free of non-metals, gasses, oxides and other impurities. This MHD billet, when heated to a specific temperature, holds a semi-solid form. The billet is then pressed into a mold at a high rate keeping the preferred globule granular microstructure as the new shape is formed. The end product is very dense and strong. SSR is the only wheel manufacturer in the world to produce SSF aluminum wheels. SSR continues to research ways to further develop SSF, creating reliable, durable, and lightweight wheels."

I am also skeptical that a TE37 is definitely lighter... Do you know this for sure? Because my gut says the SSR sould be really light looking at the design and manufacturing process. SSR is a good manufacturer. Not saying you are wrong for sure but have you checked actuall weights in NSX sizing?

Here are the weights I could find on the SSR Type F & Volk TE37 (standard)
http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/typef_1516171819.asp
http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheels/te37.htm

TE37 (vs SSR Type F)
17x7.5 +40 = 14.99 (16lbs) - TE37 lighter
17x8 +38 = 16.31 (16.5 - 16.1) - about the same

18x7.5 +40 = 16.20lbs (17.4 lbs) - TE37 lighter
18x8 +30 = ~18.08 (18 lbs) - about the same
19x9.5 +35 = ~20.72 (20.3 - 19.9) - SSR lighter

18x9.5 +35 = 18.23 (18.7 lb) - TE37 lighter
18x9.5 +40 = 18.10 (18.6 lbs) - TE37 Lighter

Yeah I read all that already. Sounds like it would be as strong if not stronger than standard forging. Your earlier post kinda made it sound like they are fudging I a little and playing with words but it sounds like forged to me.

I've never heard bad things about SSR. I just am not in love with the styles. Weights seem on par with the TE37.

The Type F is in my top 3 favorite wheels. Then again.. i'm an SSR fanboy by admittion. I've had SSRs on every car i've owned since HS :). Do people even remember the SSR Bang Vecs, SuperFins, EXC Neo?

C'mon.. how can you not like this (though i'd get them in RED)
custom-acura-nsx-ssr-typef.jpg

Yeah I read all that already. Sounds like it would be as strong if not stronger than standard forging. Your earlier post kinda made it sound like they are fudging I a little and playing with words but it sounds like forged to me.

I've never heard bad things about SSR. I just am not in love with the styles. Weights seem on par with the TE37.

I haven't seen a detailed write up of Semi Solid Forging, but from the descriptions I've read it isn't quite forging IMO. The main difference appears to be the High Pressure used in true Forging.

True forging take a high solid billet piece of aluminum (which may have some impurities) and presses it against a die at very high pressures. It's that pressing (high pressure) that causes the granular structure to change and the impurities to disappear.

SSF takes a pure billet (with no impurities) and melts it into a casting. It sounds like they "low pressure" cast the molten material into a mold that forms the wheel. It's hard to tell from the description, but the "high pressure" aspect seems to be missing from the SSF process... that's why I'm hesitant to call it a true "forged" wheel.

I'll be honest. SSR is one of the top wheel manufacturers, up there with Rays, BBS, Work and Enkei. Definitely a high quality wheel.

And to be clear, SSR is they're definitely NOT playing on words like some companies are with the term "Rotary Forged"...

Which wheel is better? ssr type f or volk te37. Forget about the look. Looking at price/light weight over strength and quality.

Every set of Volks that I have had have been excellent. Extremely strong and light. I have hit pot holes that I was sure would bend the wheels, and they were unaffected. I would recommend them 100%. Well worth the money.

The Volk TE37SL is available in very NSX friendly sizes.

Front: 17X7.5 +40 - 14.5 pounds
Rear: 18X10 +40 - 18.9 pounds

Weights are lower than the stock 16/17 forged 7 spokes. The fitment on these is evenly flush when viewed from the top on the rear and very close to flush on the fronts. My tire sizes on these wheels are 215/40-17 front and 275/35-18 rear. I am lowered around 1 inch from stock on Bilsteins. There is no rubbing at all, front or rear even under tight cornering or lock to lock turning. This is a no mess no
fuss fit...without spacers.
6033931636_8be4b9dc02_z.jpg

6033374377_75e509a18d_z.jpg

4791195141_eb263dc97d_b.jpg

Back