• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Starter going out?

It seems that my starter is failing, with starts getting increasingly difficult, occasionally having to fully engage the ignition for 3-5 seconds to get it to fire.

Also occasionally as it begins to start, it may instantly 'die' and have to try again.

Other times it starts up fine. Ideas? Agree it may be the starter?

If so, I need to find a good Bay Area mechanic to do the work, also curious what expected costs might be.

Thanks for any info -

Jonathan

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
How old is your battery?

Probably 2 years... certainly would be a cheaper place to start
smile.gif

The thing that makes me think starter is that if it won't start (completely dead) and I hold the key fully engaged to the right, after about 3 seconds, the engine fires...

But then again, I am completely ignorant mechanically
smile.gif

Mine has been giving me some issues lately also. I just got a new battery, but I still find it can take two times before it starts. Most of the time it starts on the first go..

Just had my starter replaced in the other bay area (Tampa, FL) for $700 at Crown Acura. My car is a 94... good luck! My symptoms were similar to yours and it was the starter. Car has run fine since work was done 2+ weeks ago.

OK, this is probably the oldest and most common point of confusion due to terminology between mechanic and car owners. (Not to mention a common source of easy $$) In this case you may be on the right track, but I learned long ago to make sure, so please bear with me.

The key is to distinguish between “cranking” (or cranking over, or turning over), and “starting” (or firing, or catching). Cranking is what happens when you first turn the key and hear the engine spin before it starts. This is often just a blink of an eye because cars start easily these days, but it is that time before you release the key and it goes back to the run position. Starting is when the engine starts to run on it’s own, at which time you let go of the key to stop cranking. (or when you pull the hand crank out of the front of the crankshaft on your Model A.
smile.gif
)

Part of what you describe sounds like it cranks OK but won’t fire, but sometimes fires but then dies. If that’s true, then it is not the starter or the battery*. If it cranks very slowly then it may be either the starter or battery, but more likely the battery. (It doesn’t need to crank very fast to start.) But that doesn’t explain the start and die scenario. If you have enough juice to crank and start, you should have enough to run for at least a bit even if the charging system has failed.

If it cranks slowly or not at all, start by pulling and cleaning the battery terminal clamps. If it cranks like mad but won’t fire, then it’s likely fuel or spark.

* I suppose a bad connection might allow you to crank and start, then the vibration of running shakes the connection loose and it dies. There are lot’s of remote possibilities like that, but we’ll stick to the probable.

Forgot to mention that if it only cranks slowly and you suspect the battery, then the next question is whether the batter is the culprit or the victim. It could be dirty terminals or weak charging system (alternator), especially on a 2 year old battery.

Originally posted by sjs:
Forgot to mention that if it only cranks slowly and you suspect the battery, then the next question is whether the batter is the culprit or the victim. It could be dirty terminals or weak charging system (alternator), especially on a 2 year old battery.

Thanks for the suggestions, as it is getting worse daily, I can perhaps better describe the problem now...

These are the scenarios:

1) Turn key and get absolutely nothing (often when this happens if I hold the key in the full start position to the right, it will eventually fire)
2) Turn Key and dash lights come one, yet there is still no engine activity at all
3) Turn key and appears to start as normal but if I don't hit the gas right away, it dies immediately
4) Starts normally with no issues at all

I guess I will check the battery and then get it in the shop ASAP if it doesn't improve.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

If it does happen to be your starter, don't rush to buy a new one for $700. A mechanic once told me that NSX starters are not made of gold and can easily be repaired for less than $100. He was correct. It only cost me $65 for a complete rebuild. (just look under the yellow pages for places that specialize in this type of work).

Originally posted by MiamieNeSeX:
Couldnt it also be your ignition switch?

Yes! Given his latest post that might fit. The odd part is still the "starts then dies", but the ignition switch might account for that as well.

Good call, even if it proves to be wrong.

Another possibility, though not common, is loose plates in the battery causing them to short. Other than that or a bad terminal the battery itself doesn't really fit all the symptoms.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 04 September 2002).]

If the car is cranking, it's probably not the starter. If spark plugs are old, look at getting them replaced along with fuel filters.

If you turn the key then it clicks and then turns over (or doesn't!) or makes a fast clicking sound, it's a power problem. Could be corroded terminals, low battery, or your starter contacts starting to go. Getting brushes and contacts replaced is cheap -- found a place here in San Antonio that does it for $18.50 (only catch is you have to pull the starter and take it to them).

FWIW, they also rebuild power window motors, alternators, and all others sorts of stuff... was thinking about getting mine rebuilt there as they're getting slooooooow even after doing the Dali fix-it-thingies.

-Matt

Sorry -- didn't read the whole thread. If it starts than dies, it's almost surely the ignition switch. It's a $35 part that almost anyone can do in about 30 minutes. It's located behind the dash underneath the steering column. Dealer shouldn't charge more than ~$100 to replace.

-Matt

Originally posted by matt_shover:

Sorry -- didn't read the whole thread. If it starts than dies, it's almost surely the ignition switch. It's a $35 part that almost anyone can do in about 30 minutes. It's located behind the dash underneath the steering column. Dealer shouldn't charge more than ~$100 to replace.

-Matt

Thanks to everyone, this has been driving me nutty as it gets progressively worse. This discussion will help me explain to the mechanic what I am experiencing and avoid any nasty useless (and expensive) repairs.

Jonathan -

I had a problem like this yesterday after I removed the stock subwoofer. It drove me nuts!!!!!!! There are two wires that connect to the sub. There is also a wire that plugs in under the dash that is connected to the same set of wires. Make sure this is plugged all the way in. Mine was all the way unplugged and the car wouldn't start. Probably not it but its worth looking into.

Just wanted to throw this into the pot - I don't think it applies to the original poster but it is worth bearing in mind for anyone else with starting problems. One cause of electrical problems in the starter circuit is voltage drop due to age of the wiring harness. This often results in the starter motor getting the blame and being replaced without necessarily curing the problem. A new starter/battery/alternator *can* temporarily fix the problem - but it usually returns.
A fix that does work is to wire in a relay to the starter motor which gets around the problem by not requiring as much current as the circuit in the starter motor itself.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
I had a problem like this yesterday after I removed the stock subwoofer. It drove me nuts!!!!!!! There are two wires that connect to the sub. There is also a wire that plugs in under the dash that is connected to the same set of wires. Make sure this is plugged all the way in. Mine was all the way unplugged and the car wouldn't start. Probably not it but its worth looking into.

Pretty bizarro that you mention this, since I just had my car in the shop having the clutch done and while it was in there I had them replace all of the speakers, including the sub. Since then this problem had cropped up. Strange coincidence, or oddly related?

I will find a shop around here to take it in as soon as I can...

Originally posted by Jonathan:
Pretty bizarro that you mention this, since I just had my car in the shop having the clutch done and while it was in there I had them replace all of the speakers, including the sub. Since then this problem had cropped up. Strange coincidence, or oddly related

This is not nsx related, but I just took my Lexus to get spark plug/ timing belt/ water pump replace, after receiving the car, it's now harder to start the car. It seems like I am experience some of the same problems you are experiencing. It doesn't cranks as strong, in order for the car to start, I have to wait a few second before turning the key, after that it still take a little longer than normal to start the car. Isn't this odd, the car runs fine, and you take the damn thing to the mechanic so that it can stay in top shape, instead you get new problems.

Back