• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Starter Solenoid Going Bad

Hey guys,

My starter solenoid on my 91 MT is going out (ive had to use the ol' tap trick a couple of times). Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding one at a local auto parts store, and the factory starter from Acura is like $700. Have you guys had to replace yours? Where did you get the replacement from? Has anyone explored rebuilding the solenoid if a replacement is not an option?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Do a search on Prime. Two to three months ago somebody did a post on rebuilding the starter solenoid. I seem to recall that the price was pretty low, less than $50.

Thanks for the help guys. As I have only replaced many starters and never rebuilt them, I may just pay the $$$ and go with a denso.

This is an easy fix. Disconnect the neg. battery cable, remove the starter. Remove the three small screws that hold the solenoid in place, sand down the contacts with 400 grit paper and blow out with compressed air. Next, put the plunger in a drill press or drill. Turn on the drill press and sand down the copper ring on the plunger and clean with alcohol. Next, grease the plunger shaft and insert into the starter. Don't forget the spring. Install the starter and connect the battery. You should be good for years to come. There is a thread on doing this by buying new parts, but sanding down the contact parts works just as well. Jerry

Instead of getting a complete reman Denso starter, you can buy this kit on Ebay for about $15 and replace the contacts and plunger in the solenoid. Since you have to take the starter out anyway, it is much less expensive than replacing the entire starter and a pretty easy DIY fix. Did it myself earlier this year and posted a thread about it. Starter has been working flawlessly since then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33132950652...49.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rmvSB=true

Ill keep that in mind guys. I havent had an issue in probably 100-200 starts now, so I'm gonna let it go for now. May be just getting the bugs worked out of a car thats been sitting for a while...

After running into starting issues again, I decided to purchase a new starter. I purchased this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5SGJU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Arrived in a few days, and it took less than 30 minutes to replace last night. If anyone has doubt if they can do it, its very easy. I found removing the air filter housing and replacing from the top was the way to go.

Anyways, the starting sounds stronger than ever. Thanks again for all of the support prime.

I got a Denso remanufactured starter with that same part #,280-0197, from advance auto for about $175 about four years ago. It has worked fine.

Last edited:
Back