• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Starting issues - need guidance from the pros!

Hi all - I have a 1991, Auto, with 115k miles. I’ve noticed some starting issues where it takes sometimes three turns of the key in the ignition to get my nsx started. Battery and alternator both checked out good. Thought it might be corroded battery terminals because after being stranded once, after jiggling the terminals, the car fired up. I bought and used the battery terminal cleaning kit but still have intermittent issues where the car won’t start. Does this sound like ignition going bad? I thought I came across an article about cleaning the ignition - but I could be mistaken. Thanks for your advice!

Make sure your ground lead on the battery is tight. Try to turn/twist it with your hand. Typically the ground lead can get stretched out over time, and does not tighten properly. I see this alot.

HTH,
LarryB

Hi all - I have a 1991, Auto, with 115k miles. I’ve noticed some starting issues where it takes sometimes three turns of the key in the ignition to get my nsx started.
Need some clarification.Three turns of the key because the starter motor is not engaging and cranking the engine on the first two tries? If so, a worn ignition switch is a likely culprit. Do a search on Prime using 'ignition switch' and you will likely find a number of threads that will allow you to better diagnose the problem.If the starter motor is engaging and cranking the engine; but, you have to try three times to get the engine to fire, there could be a number of problems. One thing to check. When you turn the key from Acc to run (not to crank) you should hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds. The pump is pressurizing the fuel system and the injectors are likely squirting a short prime pulse of fuel into the intake manifold to provide quick start up. The fuel system on the NSX has check valves to try and keep the system full of fuel after engine shut down to speed start up.It is common for people to turn the key from off to crank without stopping briefly at the run position to allow the fuel system to prime. That usually works fine if the check valves are in good shape. However, after a few years the check valves wear and allow loss of fuel pressure and waiting for the prime pulse to complete before cranking the engine becomes more important to a fast start. Try this simple test. Turn the key from Acc to run (not start) and allow the pump to prime. Turn the key back to Acc and then to run two more times to get two more pump prime cycles and on the third time, after the pump prime completes turn the key to start. If you get a faster start then chances are that your fuel system is losing pressure during shut down. Attaching a fuel gauge and monitoring how fast fuel pressure drops after engine shut down would be a more definitive test.

Last edited:
Back