• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Starting problems:

yo

Registered Member
I have had some problems starting my NSX for the last few days. I wanted to post some facts so you guys can help me decipher the problem.

a few facts:

1) haven't had any problems starting before monday.
2) on monday, i washed the car in the morning, spraying some areas under the hood.
3) tried to start the car, nothing! i mean nothing. when the key was turned, a click from the front, but the starter didn't even make a sound.
4) waited 1 hour, car started
5) 5 minutes later, same behavior as before. just a 'click' but no starter sound
6) this hasn't happened since.

So, i figured i must have sprayed water into the wrong place (starter relay) and waiting for a few hours must have dried it out. I was happy with this answer until last night. I go to start the car and the starter goes from 'spinning' to 'less', to 'nothing'. Now i am nervous. I wait a few mintues, try again, same behavior. It almost sounded like a car being started in the winter, with not enough juice. After a few more minutes, it starts.

So now i am narrowing reaons for this behavior. I am not an 'engine' guy. I don't want to take it to someone if it is a simple fix.

It seems like it could be a few different things: starter, starter solenoid, starter relay, old battery?

What are your opinions?

Ryan

Sounds like a battery problem. I'd check the battery connections, especially on the negative terminal. If these seem fine, then I’d try a new battery to see if that clears up the problem.

DanO

Got something wet. should be fine now that everything is totally dry.

try a new battery to see if that clears up the problem

after thinking about it, i think the battery is near 5yrs old!

Got something wet. should be fine now that everything is totally dry

this is what i hoped. but as i stated, a few days later my car still exibits weird starting behavior...

ryan

DanO said:
Sounds like a battery problem. I'd check the battery connections, especially on the negative terminal. If these seem fine, then I’d try a new battery to see if that clears up the problem.

DanO

Battery don't last long on NSX. could be the battery also.

fkong777 said:
Battery don't last long on NSX.

Actually, batteries do last long on the NSX, as long as they are kept fully charged. I replaced my OEM battery after six years; it was still working fine, but I didn't want to get stranded. And, in fact, I heard from another owner who recently replaced the original battery in his '91!!! :eek:

However, if you let the NSX sit unused for long periods of time without a charger on it, thereby allowing the battery to drain, it will not last as long.

Back