• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steel or Aluminum?

A lot of NSX owners and fans don't want the new NSX to be a steel unit body car. The reason for this is because it'll make the car heavier........But if they make a V8 400hp+ won't that more than compensate for the added weight? I can understand why they made the current NSX all aluminum, because it needs to be light as possible because it would be under powered if it were steel. If your were Acura which would you come out with, Steel NSX=Lower price, or Aluminum=Way higher price.....

More weight adversely affects braking and handling as well, not just acceleration. If they are not going with aluminum, hopefully they will use a composite. It would be absurd to go back to steel when the rest of the world is finally starting to move to aluminum.

I agree. Look at the Corvette. Even that big old American machine is going aluminum and plastic. I think it weighs around 3000lb?
The new NSX should be lighter weight and more horsepower. They should be able to out class the vette in styling and handling. But in weight cost and horsepower they are getting behind.

Originally posted by Lud:
More weight adversely affects braking and handling as well, not just acceleration. If they are not going with aluminum, hopefully they will use a composite. It would be absurd to go back to steel when the rest of the world is finally starting to move to aluminum.

Handling will always be paramount for the NSX. Horsepower is secondary. So as Lud suggests, I highly doubt that steel is an option.

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX 5spd
1999 Cosmos BMW M Coupe 5spd

Back