• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering wheel not aligned after installation

Jim

Experienced Member
After getting my steering wheel back from being wrapped, I installed it back per the service manual. I centered the cable reel "Do this by first rotating the cable reel clockwise until it stops, then rotate it counterclockwise (approximately two turns) until the yellow gear tooth lines up with the mark on the cover. The arrow on the cable reel label points straight up".

Even though I followed everything, my steering wheel is off to the left about 8 degrees. :frown: Does this mean I have no choice but to have it aligned via the tie rods? (since the manual states "....do so only by adjustment of the tie rods, not by removing and re-positioning the steering wheel").

Yep. Done it many times on many vehicles. It's very easy. I assume you've test driven and determined the "8 degrees" steering wheel left offset. I'd start with a half turn on each tie rod and test drive the result. In your case (with the wheel counter-clockwise from center) you want the front of the wheels to point further left, so when corrected, the steering wheel will need to be turned clockwise for the NSX to track straight. If further tweaking is required, I'd go with 1/4 turns each subsequent step, then test drive. It shouldn't take but a fraction of a tie rod revolution to correct your offset.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, where'd you get your steering wheel wrapped? And please post a few pictures.

I would start by counting teeth on the hub, if the count comes out to 45 then 360 degrees divided by 45 teeth equals 8 degrees which would indicate that a skipped tooth makes the wheel being off by 8 degrees. I hope this makes sense :)

If you haven't touched alignment on the car then you're off by one tooth like mentioned above. Easy fix.

I'm with Brylek on this one. In my view the simple fix would be to just remove your steering wheel, rotate it 8 degrees to the right, and reinstall. Adjusting the tie rod ends seems more difficult and complicated.

I installed my aftermarket steering wheel years ago and don't think I went for alignment afterwards. From my memory it was fine the first time since I put it on straight.

You shouldn't have an issue just rotating the steering wheel, as long as nothing else is touched.

The manual says not to mess with the steering wheel because if you changed the position too much you would brake the SRS ribbin but one tooth shouldn't make that much difference.

I love working on the NSX so contact me if you ever need an extra pair of hands or tools, I am usually free in the evenings and weekends.

Last edited:
Completely off topic, but if you get the opportunity to lend Jim a hand, you must check out his Senna F1 build project. I only get pictures.:frown: BTW, good luck Jim.
The manual says not to mess with the steering wheel because if you changed the position too much you would brake the SRS ribbin but one tooth shouldn't make that much difference.

I love working on the NSX so contact me if you ever need an extra pair of hands or tools, I am usually free in the evenings and weekends.

trick here guys back car out of garage and then pull in perfectly straight reverse do again till your sure the wheels are straight

take 19mm bolt off lift wheel out turn till its straight push back on, put 19mm bolt back on but only finger tight

test drive car maybe down the street do some turns etc. not at high speeds because its still not totally secure.

while driving take a mental note of where the wheel should be,

drive back home, take 19mm nut off turn the wheel till its where your mental note was test again.

you can get this almost perfect by one tooth in the wheel.

if you still cant get it done take it to get alignment

its prob off a few teeth easy fix

I'm with Brylek on this one. In my view the simple fix would be to just remove your steering wheel, rotate it 8 degrees to the right, and reinstall. Adjusting the tie rod ends seems more difficult and complicated.

100% agree with this. I remember installing a steering wheel on a car not 100% straight and setting off all sorts of codes as soon as it hit the road. It took me FOREVER to uninstall/re-install/etc until I got the right rotation. Your seems just slightly off so it should be a quick fix.

Thanks guys. I fixed it in 15 min. So I took the wheel off and moved it right and test drove -- then wheel was way too off to the right. Took the wheel off and moved it one tooth to the left and test drove. Perfectly straight!

glad it worked.. my dad always says to me " Shawn you don't need to take the engine out to do an oil change "

often the hardest work doesn't need to be

Back