• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering wheel off center despite recent wheel alignment

I have a really annoying problem with my steering wheel being off center clock-wise about 10 degrees when driving straight. I read up on the problem and it should be fixed by doing a proper wheel alignment. Here is the problem. Had the car at the alignment shop, gave them the service manual and explained the problem and explained the characteristics and complexity of the NSX suspension. I also supplied them with the alignment specifications I wanted. After 7 hours of labour later (!!!) the guy gave me a ring and told me he couldn't help me with the steering wheel nor could he give me the alignment specs for the camber that I wanted.

Front:
Caster: 8 degrees
Toe: 0,3 degrees (about 2,5 mm total toe-out with my wheels)
Camber: -1,6 degrees (wanted as close to 0 as possible)

He also said that there was something wrong with the caster adjusting bolt for the front right wheel, he said that whenever he tried to adjust it, it would just "snap back" to the original setting. The problem did not appear on the left side. Ideas on what this could be? Anyone else had this problem?

Picked up the car and gave it a test drive. Steering wheel still off-center, but now it also wobbles at certain speeds (the guy did balance the wheels while they were off, we tried changing places but this did'nt solve the problem) but the toe out did make the car more "edgier" in cornering but also less stable when cruising straight on highways.

Help?

There is nothing complex about the steering system. You adjust the steering wheel by the inner tie rods like you do in every other Honda. First you set the steering wheel straight then you adjust the tie rods out/in to have proper toe. Your guy didn't know what he was doing or they didn't have the proper equipment. It should be a digital machine and not those bars they hang off the wheels.

There is nothing complex about the steering system. You adjust the steering wheel by the inner tie rods like you do in every other Honda. First you set the steering wheel straight then you adjust the tie rods out/in to have proper toe. Your guy didn't know what he was doing or they didn't have the proper equipment. It should be a digital machine and not those bars they hang off the wheels.

I agree, shouldn't be a problem from what I know. They did use a digital machine with direct feedback but I think the guy was the problem. Gotta give him credit for working his ass off for 7 hours straight for something simple as a wheel adjustment though!

I'll get the car to another shop and I'll get back with the results when done. Thanks.

Maybe po had an aftermarket steering wheel on before and when they reinstalled the OEM one they didn't align it correctly.

IF your car is lowered it does make the alighnment more difficult. Ironically my dealer installed a new digital machine about ten years ago and they had so much trouble with it that they started farming out their work. Keep trying different folks until you are confident they hit the numbers. Maybe put the fear of god into them by telling them you are going to race. I have mine done by a local shop specializing in exotics where the result is a matter of their pride. I could be wrong, but i think the nsx has a screw on the box so you can re-alighn the steering wheel and it does not affect the alighnment itself.

Back