• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering wheel removal

I need to remove the steering wheel and cable reel because I think the cable reel is damaged. I am trying to follow the service manual.
  1. Do I have to install all of the short red connectors and service connectors (glove box, right side seat belt) or just the short red connector at the steering wheel?
  2. Do I have to install the SRS Service Connector to the cable reel 3P connector?
  3. Are there any other precautions?

I havent read the manual but I just took mine off today and you just take the wheel off and unplug the plugs, thats it. Disconnect the battery if you're paranoid about the airbags going off. :)

Thanks for the advice. The service manual scares the heck out of me with all those SRS system warnings. I got the ribbon reel off and repaired it, everything is working fine now.
Honda usually does a pretty good job of designing things but the steering column side of the ribbon reel is designed to slice the ribbon cable in half if it travels too far. The steering wheel side of the reel is designed to better route and manage the ribbon.

Hi,

Just a point for others removing their steering wheels: Removing the steering wheel is straight forward. Just make sure to plug the red cap onto the SRS harness on the steering wheel after removal. You find it behind the left side lid which you removed prior to removing the steering wheel. It grounds the SRS harness to itself, reducing the risk of static discharge causing the airbag to blow. Lay the steering wheel facing upwards at all times, don't want that wheel catapulting itself (and killing you) if the airbag goes off inadvertanly.

Back