• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering wheel size and hub choice

Chris at SOS recommends a 330mm steering wheel with a Taitec hub. The steering wheel I want to use is a 350mm (only size it comes in) MOMO Competition. Has anyone here used a 350mm size and did/do you like it? Chris also sells a Rapid hub for substantially less than the Taitec. After reading the descriptions of both hubs, I see no reason not to use the Rapid. Any advice? My '97 is strictly a street car.

I had the Sparco 330mm with the horn button and 2 red buttons. Didn't like it, I felt it was just too small for me. I guess it is good if your an avid racer but I needed something a little bigger. I bought a MOMO 350mm with red stitching and kept the Honda horn button. It suits me perfect. Not big and bulky like the stock one or too small like the Sparco. I didn't use the Rapid hub because it wan't available at the time, so I went with the Taitec that they sell. I found the Momo on ebay for $110

attachment.php

I just bought a MOMO Millenium 350mm steering wheel. The 350mm wheel is about 5mm smaller than the OEM wheel. I am very happy with my choice. I went with the SOS rapid steering hub, b/c i wanted to keep the cruise control buttons as well as the horn. I bought the carbon fiber buttons from dali and use them as the two cruise control buttons and my horn is in the center of my steering wheel. I will be installing this set-up 1-2 weeks. Should have pictures then.

Hope this helps.

RC51NSX said:
Chris at SOS recommends a 330mm steering wheel with a Taitec hub. The steering wheel I want to use is a 350mm (only size it comes in) MOMO Competition. Has anyone here used a 350mm size and did/do you like it? Chris also sells a Rapid hub for substantially less than the Taitec. After reading the descriptions of both hubs, I see no reason not to use the Rapid. Any advice? My '97 is strictly a street car.

Maybe my advice got mixed up.

I recommend the Rapid hub (see below) as it functions the same as the TAITEC but has the added feature of the channel machined on the surface for wiring buttons on the wheel.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...s/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/steering_hub/default.asp

I recommend wheels larger than 330mm for most customers. From your e-mail, I assumed you only wanted the Sparco Ring, which is only available in 330mm. I use a 350mm wheel in my own car.

The lighter aftermarket wheel and hub results in a dramatic improvement in steering feedback to the driver. However, keep in mind that this product removes the airbag feature and is not intended for public road use.

By the way, the OD of the factory wheel is 367mm.

take care,
-- Chris

Maybe I misinterpreted what I read on the SOS site. Anyway, thanks for the response. I feel much better about getting the 350mm wheel, and I'm ordering the Rapid hub. Now I need to find some buttons for the cruise like the ones pictured on the SOS site. I'll see if SOS sells them when I order the hub later today.

13146MOMO.jpg

I got my buttons from Dali Racing, the hub from SOS. I wasn't aware that SOS had buttons...but you can check these out and see if you like em.

What is the difference between the 65.00 Momo hub adapter and the 190.00 unit Dali and SOS sells? I have a momo steering wheel now.thks:biggrin:

I could be wrong, but I believe the momo hub adapter is not hollow, and thus you can't send wires down the middle of it for horn and cruise. That's my understanding.

Texas91Brent said:
What is the difference between the 65.00 Momo hub adapter and the 190.00 unit Dali and SOS sells? I have a momo steering wheel now.thks:biggrin:

I believe it is cast steel vs. billet aluminum. The MOMO hub does not work with the factory cable reel which allows the hub to retain horn and cruise or other wiring accessory.

Regards,
-- Chris

Back