• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering Wheel Swap

Has anyone replaced their stock wheel? I have a 05 and am interested in changing the wheel. What do you do with the disabling the airbag and this probably is not legal for highway use, right?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Replacing my steering wheel is one of the best mods I've done to the car... second only to the CTSC. There are lots of threads with pictures (here's one).

Contact Erick (evof575gtc) for all your steering wheel needs. He has all the parts to protect the airbag and extinguish the SRS dash light. He can set you up with a quick disconnect hub, retain your cruise control and still keep the steering ring at factory distance.

The laws vary from State to State. Always wear your seat belt.

Here's a photo of my setup with MOMO Team 300mm, NR-G quick disconnect hub, Sparco cruise control buttons, and JDM NSX-R horn button/ring...

momo_off_center_a.jpg

Yep, would have to wholeheartedly agree. Best mod 2nd to the SC. It significantly improves the feedback to the driver imho.

I have the TYPE S w/o cruise control which would have been nice.. but it's not too bad. When I take long trips, I prefer to keep my hand on the steering wheel at all times.

I don't have the SRS light come on to me, but this was done by the previous owner so it might just be my setup.

Huge weight savings! In the neighborhood of maybe 10, 15 lbs.

Changing the steering wheel is something I have thought about many, many times.
And I really mean many times :smile:
I've got a question though (I always have question I guess).

Most after-market steering wheels are of the 350mm type.
But I am seeing more and more 320mm or even 300mm types.
And I am wondering just how much these smaller steering wheels obstruct your view of the dashboard display.

Changing the steering wheel is something I have thought about many, many times.
And I really mean many times :smile:
I've got a question though (I always have question I guess).

Most after-market steering wheels are of the 350mm type.
But I am seeing more and more 320mm or even 300mm types.
And I am wondering just how much these smaller steering wheels obstruct your view of the dashboard display.

The nsx has a tilt wheel, so this effect can be minimized, perhaps eliminated if your seating position is very low within the car. In my case the tops of the gauges were obscured by a 320mm wheel, which was unacceptable.

My current setup has the complete OEM 350mm nsx-r wheel, from the hub to the retaining ring, trim ring, horn button, wheel, even the screws are oem. And, as with most nsx-r parts, the factory components are the perfect solution - a great-feeling wheel, perfect visibility, and all parts are high quality.

If you want some kind of removable steering wheel functionality, which is intended to allow for easy entry into the vehicle, there are many local users of the NRG hub, there are also several JDM manufacturers of similar, or better products, but the cost is much higher. If this is a function you want to have the NRG device is probably the best solution in terms of value/functionality - there is no shimmy with this hub, which has in the past been a concern with removable wheels, it also allows for the retention of your horn.

I have no trouble getting in and out of my car, so I had no actual need for the removable steering wheel, and had no interest in its adondized BLANG factor, but you may have different goals with your steering wheel solution. The disabling of the SRS light, and the connection of the horn, are both incredibly simple procedures, whether you have them done, or do them as a DIY. Neither procedure requires any specialized tools.

Replacing my steering wheel is one of the best mods I've done to the car... second only to the CTSC. There are lots of threads with pictures (here's one).

Contact Erick (evof575gtc) for all your steering wheel needs. He has all the parts to protect the airbag and extinguish the SRS dash light. He can set you up with a quick disconnect hub, retain your cruise control and still keep the steering ring at factory distance.

The laws vary from State to State. Always wear your seat belt.

Here's a photo of my setup with MOMO Team 300mm, NR-G quick disconnect hub, Sparco cruise control buttons, and JDM NSX-R horn button/ring...

momo_off_center_a.jpg

wow, thats a work of art!
got me thinking maybe i should go that route too now lol.
just wondering, is the "H" removable? just a thought...

sojusoulja, you're starting to seem like a trouble maker with all your remarks.

NRG manufacturer makes it for WORKS BELL.
they just re-tag the boxes and sell at a 3,000% markup from retail.
talk about price gouging.
I agree, I had a WB quick release in my Z and pd. double the price of the NRG. That said, I'm very happy with the 320mm wheel. Not too small/not too big. I'm becoming a somewhat steering wheel whore since I just ordered my 3rd wheel. If your not budgeted for the complete quick release setup you can always get the rapid "fixed hub." But I strongly suggest quick release if your budget allows for the cool factor alone. Airbag light on early models are'nt a problem since mine never came on unpluged. OBDII may be different.

I'm really amazed you guys don't seem to care that you lose the airbag. You have a cooler looking car, saved 10 lbs, and then the nut in a Suburban hits you and you don't want the airbag?

I mention the Suburban because we wouldn't make any mistakes on our own and cause our own collision..... :confused:

I bought the NRG from Erick and have not had a single problem. An added benefit to the quick release is it serves as a theft deterrant...turn the wheel hard right/left and take the steering wheel with you for security.

Jeff

do you realize the airbag might save you only if its a head-on or rear collision?
most of the time, usually from drunk drivers behind the wheel.

you're screwed if you're t-boned.

I'm really amazed you guys don't seem to care that you lose the airbag. You have a cooler looking car, saved 10 lbs, and then the nut in a Suburban hits you and you don't want the airbag?

I mention the Suburban because we wouldn't make any mistakes on our own and cause our own collision..... :confused:

sojusoulja, you're starting to seem like a trouble maker with all your remarks.

NRG manufaturer makes it for WORKS BELL.
they just re-tag the boxes and sell at a 3,000% markup from retail.
talk about price gouging.

haha..ok sorry if i'm pissing on your sales pitch for some Lop Sop NRG...I've seen, felt, and driven a cars with the NRG and compared it to Works Bell and you can def. tell the difference in quality.

that is all

haha..ok sorry if i'm pissing on your sales pitch for some Lop Sop NRG...I've seen, felt, and driven a cars with the NRG and compared it to Works Bell and you can def. tell the difference in quality.

that is all

You can tell there are some differences between two identical items?

Must be the paint job!!!:eek: :biggrin:

do you realize the airbag might save you only if its a head-on or rear collision?

I understand how and when air bags are effective. At least around here - on undivided roads, we regularly see accidents when a vehicle crosses the center line into oncoming traffic. And we see more than a few single vehicle accidents where the driver went off the road on their own.

Not trying to derail here but airbags are an undisputed major safety upgrade. Not for every accident of course, but speaking in general terms.

Get Works Bell, that NRG stuff is crap

Please explain why do you say that NR-G is crap?

My NR-G quick release is simple and easy to remove... and replacing it is a dream. You can slide on the steering ring 180 degrees out of phase, spin it, and it snaps into the correct position. Once locked, it becomes solid... no wobble or tolerancing issues like other splined type quick disconnects.

I work in Aerospace and I think the mechanical engineering design is truly genius. The materials they use and the finish are all top notch.

Another big plus to the NR-G quick disconnect is: when used with the NR-G short hub, the steering ring is at the OEM position.

Please show me a better design/setup.

i have one those sparco rings so does thomas, eddie, calvin, gil, simon...
all have them in black leather.
pretty nice thick grip. not crazy about D cuts though.
downside about sparco - they dont include hardware, horn retainer rings, so the buttons usually pop out.

the suede one often turns rotten if the driver has sweaty hands.

All these talks about airbags, just wondering have anybody had to replaced undeployed airbag due to age? The NSX have been around for more then 10 yrs:confused: Or does everyone check the airbags for serviceability regularly, because over here we don't on the NSX:frown:

One for the future plan is a new steering wheel kit :smile:

I love the look of the aftermarket wheel, but feel my NSX is already not the safest car in the world. Losing that airbag is just too much of a risk for me. I wish I could get a better wheel that keeps the airbag. In the meantime I am fairly happy as I had my factory wheel made thicker in 2-tone leather (silver/black). It feels much better in my hand. The factory wheel looks positively wimpy to me now after looking at my wheel for a while. My only regret is I did not go to a CF/leather mix.

One of the best mods I have done. Really give you much better "road feel."

6429sig_red_sm.jpg

Sky:smile:

momo_1.jpg

Back