• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

steering wheel vibration under low acceleration

When I first start to accelerate, especially if not too quickly, I notice a vibration from about 0 to 10 mph.

Is this normal?

Originally posted by wilsonp:
When I first start to accelerate, especially if not too quickly, I notice a vibration from about 0 to 10 mph.

Is this normal?

Are you sure it's the steering wheel and not the clutch? It's common for the clutch to shudder when first starting from a stop. You can minimize this by blipping the throttle so that the revs are falling as you let the clutch out.

(Incidentally, wheels out of balance are normally felt at higher speeds, not just at parking lot speeds.)

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Are you sure it's the steering wheel and not the clutch? It's common for the clutch to shudder when first starting from a stop. You can minimize this by blipping the throttle so that the revs are falling as you let the clutch out.

I'm reasonably sure my automatic's clutch is ok :-D

Seriously, it's not a shudder so much as a vibration. And I can feel it when I am stopped as well - feels like an engine vibration transmitted through the steering wheel???

If you feel it while you're stopped, then it definitely has nothing to do with the wheels.

Loose engine mount perhaps? (I'm just guessing here...)

'cuz the NSX is doin 100 mph just sit'n still.
wink.gif

Is it possible it could be structural, body vibrations at a particular frequency?

Doesn't your car have an aftermarket sunroof?

It could also be something with the auto trans. At these lower speeds it doesn't sound tire or wheel related.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 06 December 2002).]

Back