• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo system installer w/ previous NSX experience.

Does anyone know of a stereo system installer with previous NSX experience? I may go with the SOS system and need a person to install it. Thanks guys.

Sang,

Give Ernie at Sound Innovations a call. 510.471.9062

Tell him that James with the silver NSX (the one on his website) sent ya. They did the stereo, alarm and lo-jack in my car. They're always busy so you'll probably have to make an appointment for the install. The quality of work is top-notch to the point that several 12v audio manufacturers use him for their demo vehicles.

J

Would Ernie have any issues with installing equipment purchased from a different vendor? Also, would he be doing the install personally or have another person at the shop do it? Thanks for your help.

He prefers to install stuff purchased from him but I've seen him install gear that was bought from someone else. Again, tell him I sent you and he'll be more inclined to do it for you.

Ernie doesn't do any actual installs anymore unless his guys get too far behind on cars that are for manufacturers who need to show their car at shows or conventions or whatever. That said, his guys take very good care of your car and are very capable of doing very complex and detailed installations. Your SOS install will be cake for them.

J

Sang,

Give Ernie at Sound Innovations a call. 510.471.9062

Tell him that James with the silver NSX (the one on his website) sent ya. They did the stereo, alarm and lo-jack in my car. They're always busy so you'll probably have to make an appointment for the install. The quality of work is top-notch to the point that several 12v audio manufacturers use him for their demo vehicles.

J

I'd 2nd this.... I've had work done on my NSX from him as well. Awesome guys with great workmanship!

With my company's transfer project is wrapping up soon, i will have more time to play.

NSX's stereo upgrade is a must, the factory system is from another time zone. And it is limited on what we can do since it's a 2 seater. Hence the install is pretty straight forward process, now that i've completed mine.

I picked each component myself though. You should know what you are getting and be happy with it later.

I did most the install for my nsx and one of them was the stereo upgrade. I am very please with my selection and upgraded the deck/amp with a floor sub over the years. Ken (D'Ecosse) lend a helping hand back then and I'll be glad to return the flavor for another fellow bay area nsx owner. I don't claim to be a stereo buff though.

btw, the sos site is down at the moment and I can't see what was included. From what i remembered, it comes with most of the things that's needed and should be a simple plug and play.

I used Jack @ Bay Car Stereo.

Bay Car Stereo
415-221-9600

I live in San Francisco, if you want to see my install

Thanks guys. I can't decide on a couple things. The first is if I want to change out my factory deck to an aftermarket one. I know that an aftermarket deck would sound a lot better considering it has 4-8v preout (I think that's what it is called). I also can't decide if I want to flush mount my tweeters. I absolutely loved flush mounting my tweeters in my doors in my previous cars but cannot decide if I want to cut into my cars interior. What do you guys think? Do you think an aftermarket deck will make a huge improvement in sound over the factory deck? Or, will it be a minimal improvement? Would you flush mount your tweeters into the doors?

Last edited:
Sang,
Upgrading a stereo system is subjective as I use to really be into car stereos but with the NSX, I enjoy listening to the engine/exhaust/intake, etc. It is not easy to get good sound from an NSX but again, this is subjective as each person has a different ear for sound.

If you do plan on upgrading, I would also recommend Sound Innovations in Hayward but also recommend Custom Car Alarms in Pleasant Hill or San Francisco.

Jr. does most of the competition custom work at Sound Innovations. Mike Jung at CCAlarm in Pleasant Hill and R.D. Sam at CCAlarm in S.F. are the people who I would trust working on my car if I were to upgrade but I think the factory system is good enough. One less reason someone would want to break into your car. My 2 cents. :wink:

Last edited:
Hey Blury, nice install! Which component speakers are you running? Did you put the crossovers in the doors?

Last edited:
Craig Hardy goes down in my book as the best installer for the NSX. He worked at auto Autohaus when your car was being done Blurry.

brent_front_custom_stereo.jpg

brent_rear_custom_stereo.jpg

This stereo had a 20GB hard drive for mp3's with an Ethernet connection. He hooked up a wireless router in the trunk so he could connect to it and transfer music via wireless. This was all back in 2002!

Hey Blury, nice install! Which component speakers are you running? Did you put the crossovers in the doors?

Memphis car audio's top components(mclass components)... most of the bay guys have seen this install and heard I love it, makes the X so perfect for long drives when you just wanna drive and enjo the scenery :biggrin:

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/

Last edited:
Back