• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steve Gooding - Certfied NSX Factory Technician

I wanted to take a moment and post my experience with Steve Gooding, Raleigh/Cary areas very own factory NSX trained technician that just did some work on my NSX for me. A couple of weeks ago I found out that my vtec solenoid's were leaking and the initial diagnosis was that my vtec solenoid assembly's needed to be replaced. After doing a little more research and confirming with fellow nsx prime members.....I found out that the solenoids do not have to be replaced, only the gasket and filters. After ordering the parts, I called Steve to see if he could fit me in and he took care of it for me. He replaced the gaskets/filters, cleaned up my engine bay, and cleaned my Unifilter for me, all for 1/10th <<-- (not a typo) of the price that I was getting from my Acura mechanic.

Steve was also working on a bright red NSX, I believe completing a timing belt/water pump replacement, putting on headers and replacing all the coolant hoses. I definitely plan to see Steve when it comes time for future maintenance and any other services for my NSX.

Shannon,

This past October we had a meeting of Raleigh area NSX owners in Holly Springs. Steve was our guest speaker. He shared his vast experience with Acura, Honda, Comptech and NSX. Speaking for the group, we were very much impressed by Steve. He gave us a complete history about the development of the NSX. He took the time to analyze several of the owners cars attending this get together..and make some suggestions. That as Allan's red NSX you saw. If I remember correctly, Steve determined that Allan's timing belt could not have been changed based on Steve's checking an exterior "O" ring seal that appeared to be original factory installed. Steve said this "O" is usually changed during the timing belt replacement.
Steve seems to have a real passion for the NSX...just the kind of technician I'd want working on my car.

John

John and Shannon,

I live in Charlotte, and have spoken to you, John, before. I was unfortunately not able to make the October meeting (work!), but I will need my new clutch installed upon it's arrival in late January. Does Steve have a contact number for a quote? If so, feel free to PM me with this information. Thanks guys, and I hope to be over in the Raleigh area soon.

Chuck

Chuck,

I'm out of town right now. But I have Steve's phone number at home.

I'll be back home on Saturday evening and will check a phone # and send it to you.

Regards,

John

Last edited:
I just want to say, Steve has my nsx now and is doing some repair work, (blew a radiator hose) what a great guy! super knowledgable and honest! I am having him go through my whole car and tell me everything I need to do repair and maintenance wise. He has let me know about things that previous technicians have not, like my door panel being put back on incorrectly after a window regulator install, etc...so now I can have all of these silly things fixed. Anyone looking for a great CERTIFIED nsx mechanic.....take my advice and contact steve! I am even going to have him do all the future maintenance on my moms Integra GSR. :tongue:

Hey folks,

I'm away on business at the moment, but does anyone have Steve's email address? I'd like to contact him to get some routine maintenance and such scheduled for the NSX in the next few weeks.

A friendly neighborhood PM would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

Hey folks,

I'm away on business at the moment, but does anyone have Steve's email address? I'd like to contact him to get some routine maintenance and such scheduled for the NSX in the next few weeks.

A friendly neighborhood PM would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

PM Sent!

Last edited:
Don't EVER post someones e-mail address in a forum. Web crawlers pick them up and turn them into fuel for marketers. Result? An inbox full of spam! Do Steve a favor and alter that address.

Got the PM.

My NSX and my checkbook thanks you.

PS. Yes, I agree with the not posting emails on the messages if possible due to SPAMMERS! Die spammers die!

Max

Just wanted to post again for Contact info request. I received my clutch Friday, and hoping to get my headers in anytime now. Thanks guys. Feel free to e-mail or PM with it. I think my e-mail is provided here on Prime under my profile. Thanks again!

Chuck

Hello, and thank you for all the great compliments, I have registered as this will make it easier to find my contact information. As a lot of you know this is a very fun hobby for me and has also givin me the bug for an other TOY! I am now LOOKING! I will try and play an active part in the growth of this web sit as it is a wealth of information and GREAT way to make new friends. Steve

Welcome Steve! I will send you a PM regarding the work we spoke of. Glad to hear you are joining the addiction we call Prime. BTW, let us know if you plan to have another meeting where you will be speaking. I would like to attend if my schedule permits. I wasn't able to the last time due to work.

Best,
Chuck

Steve, good to see you're on the forum. Not sure you've seen all the requests for info on contacting you, but I just answered one a few minutes ago. Someone in Durham that needs timing belt and water pump replaced. As the weather gets nice, a lot of the owners are anxious to get their cars out on the road.

John

Hello, and thank you for all the great compliments, I have registered as this will make it easier to find my contact information. As a lot of you know this is a very fun hobby for me and has also givin me the bug for an other TOY! I am now LOOKING! I will try and play an active part in the growth of this web sit as it is a wealth of information and GREAT way to make new friends. Steve

Welcome Steve! Good to see you on the board

Steve,

Welcome to the Prime!
Good hunting on the NSX... they're harder to come by now that Honda's made more and more complicated and luxury oriented concepts :)

See you by the lift soon.

Max

I just wanted to take another moment and bragg about another good experience I had with Steve Gooding.... he has managed to diagnose a sporadic problem that I had been having since '04 that no one has been able to figure out what it was. Steve also put on my steering rack bushings i ordered from ScienceOfSpeed, installed my hawk pads all the way around and spent a great deal of time getting foam out of my alb lines. All of that and a follow up call to make sure I was completely satisfied with everything.

Awesome guy!!!

Another kudos and job well done for Steve Gooding.

Had the timing belt / water pump change along with the major service.
While at it, I had him look into some rattles from the rear firewall, slow windows and had him put in some GM symchromesh friction modified transmission fluid.

The car drives like a charm! Without the small irritating factors that took away from the experience, it's like getting that first time in the NSX feeling all over again.

If anyone's having mild grinding troubles with the gearbox, I highly recommend the GM synchromesh FM. It completely took away the occasional 4->5 notchiness and rare grind. Now it's smooth as butter and all the other gear engagment is "slicker."

He went the extra distance to thoroughly check over the car, fix nick-nacky things, and comment on the (excellent) prior maintenance done by my mechanics.

Thanks for contributing to the community. My NSX and I will see him atleast once a year for some TLC.

Cheers,

Max

Gees, I gotta read this more often.

Yes, Steve is a wizard w/ the NSX. He did my timing belt, water pump, headers, valves, and other stuff that had been neglected and it now runs better than I had ever imagined. The only problem here is that there is only one of him...

Thanks again Steve, Alan (92 Red/Black)

Gees, I gotta read this more often.

Yes, Steve is a wizard w/ the NSX. He did my timing belt, water pump, headers, valves, and other stuff that had been neglected and it now runs better than I had ever imagined. The only problem here is that there is only one of him...

Thanks again Steve, Alan (92 Red/Black)

Alan, maybe there's only one of him, but he is a big guy!!!!

John

Alan,
No, not me. Tim was going to have a gathering Thursday night, but had to cancel because of workload. I'll be out of town Thursday.

But I do want to get together soon!!

John

Back