• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock Clutch Limits

I'm going FI this fall (one of the superchargers) and would like to know the limits of the stock clutch. My clutch only has about 6000 miles on it and I do not want to replace it just yet.

I would leave it in until it requires replacement. It's not like you have to open up the tranny to fit the SC. Unless you're also doing some gearing work I'd leave it alone.

Yep, leave it alone. My car has had a stock clutch with a BBSC for about a year now (5k), and no problems yet. I'd guess I will have to replace it sometime, but no need to yet.

cptnsx said:
I'm going FI this fall (one of the superchargers) and would like to know the limits of the stock clutch. My clutch only has about 6000 miles on it and I do not want to replace it just yet.

In our opinion it may be a good idea to upgrade your clutch. We ran the OEM clutch with the stock CTSC without a problem. However, once we upgraded the system the clutch went very fast. We then went to the Centerforce and was pushing about 460rwhp/360ftlbs with the CTSC and Nitrous and that clutch let go. We are now trying the Exedy and the Clutchmasters Stage IV. If you have any questions feel free to call.

Re: Re: Stock Clutch Limits

Factor X Motorsports said:
In our opinion it may be a good idea to upgrade your clutch. We ran the OEM clutch with the stock CTSC without a problem. However, once we upgraded the system the clutch went very fast. We then went to the Centerforce and was pushing about 460rwhp/360ftlbs with the CTSC and Nitrous and that clutch let go. We are now trying the Exedy and the Clutchmasters Stage IV. If you have any questions feel free to call.

460 RWHP good numbers. How big a nitrous shot? How was the torque?

Re: Re: Re: Stock Clutch Limits

MiamieNeSeX said:
460 RWHP good numbers. How big a nitrous shot? How was the torque?

Thank you for the compliment, running nitrous is very addicting:)We run a wet 75shot, torque was in the area of 360ftlbs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stock Clutch Limits

Factor X Motorsports said:
Thank you for the compliment, running nitrous is very addicting:)We run a wet 75shot, torque was in the area of 360ftlbs.

Also excellent tuning to get that much HP out of the CTSC.

It depends a lot on how you drive the car. Some people are just plain tough on clutches and use them up in 30k miles. Also, if you plan to frequent the drag strip and can’t tolerat any surprise down-time then do it now, otherwise I would probably use it up then replace.

You didn't say what year the car is. The the 5-spd twin disk probably more proe to failure if abused than the later single disk unit that came with the 6-spd. Not that it's weak IMO (Mine has 80k hard miles on it, nearly half of that with turbos), but if you are hard on clutches it may not be your best choice.

But still, unless unexpected down-time is real important I would shop for the clutch now and have it on hand, then replace as necessary. (Some of them are very hard to get)

I have heard that as FI goes, a supercharger is easier on any clutch than a turbo. The reason was explained as superchargers don't generate lots of boost until mid\upper RPM's when the car is already moving fairly quickly. Conversely, a turbo car may already be boosting a significant amount in a 3k+ launch therefore generating substantial torque which it transmitted to a body "not in motion".

Thanks for all the helpful advice. My car is a 1992 with 44K miles and has the short gears and Comptech 4.55 R&P. I really didn't want to replace the clutch at this time since it is still relatively new (almost 2 years old but only about 6,000 miles on it). Down time is not a problem, so I guess I'll just wait until it starts to slip.

Back