• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock head unit not recognizing CD Changer?

I am getting to know my new NSX and was wondering if anyone might know the solution for a OEM 91 head unit not seeming to recognize the OEM CD changer when the AM/FM button is pushed?? Am I missing something?
Thanks

what did u mean by not recognizing? did an error message pop up? or nothing change when u press am/fm knob? i would check the changer's cable in the trunk first..see if it's attach to the changer..2nd, take the console off and check the other end of the changer's cable and see if it's attached to the HU..

I read in the owner's manual that the AM/FM button should toggle between the radio bands and the CD player when pushed. However, pushing the AM/FM will only toggle b/w AM & FM and the CD function does not even display. I do not get any error messages. I checked the connections in the trunk to the changer and everything looked good. When I get time I will check the connections behind the head unit, but just wanted to make sure I'm not making a mistake operating the head unit before I start pulling things out. Thanks for the advice:smile:.
Doug

one other thing u can check in the trunk is, look at the "EJECT" button on the cd changer itself to see if it's lit up or not..if it does, then u have power going to it so it should work..if it doesn't lit up then u must have loose connection somewhere or someone put a different changer in it..is your cd changer black or silver? silver is newer and play mp3s i believe..

I've got a similar problem as the OP. I was testing a Grom iPod adapter, and after disconnecting the Grom adapter and plugging the changer cable back, my head unit isn't acknowledging the CD changer as being connected. It just cycles between radio bands.

I'll double check if the EJECT button is lit.

I've got the same problem, I already removed de radio to see if the cable is in there and it is....

eject button doesn't light up on the changer, and the seller garanteed that the changer works...

can I measure the din-socket of the radio for current or something like that ??

please help :confused:

I've got the same problem, I already removed de radio to see if the cable is in there and it is....

eject button doesn't light up on the changer, and the seller garanteed that the changer works...

can I measure the din-socket of the radio for current or something like that ??

please help :confused:

cd changer from same car year or different? the link above will explain the differ b/n the two..same yr = easy plug and play... na2 to na1 u'll need the na2 blue cable in order to make it work in na1 ...

the connectors where a perfect fit ... so I think thats good ?

i've send the seller a mail to confirm wich year nsx it came from

-my NSX is a Honda from 1991

-on my changer :
P/N: 08A06-112-410
REF.NO: CD2132AR
S/N: AK04216312
(the 3 transportation screws where not in the changer....)

-the head-unit is replaced by previous owner and it is one of an Acura
P/N: 39100-SL0-A000-M1
REF.NO:CM3939
S/N: B00710741

I understand that in later models pin 2 and 4 where changed and you get a crappy sound.
But mine won't do anything at all .... :-(

one other thing you might want to try, if u have time, is track the blue changer's cable..this required you removing or folding the trunk's carpet back toward the rear of the car..start from the cd changer side (passenger) and track the blue cord across the trunk to the driver's side..there is another blue cable on that side near the antenna..make sure it's also plug in..sometime previous owner buy Smartenna they will have to plug the 8 pin sandwich in between the blue cable..re-route the changer's cable..

i believe the nsx have 2 cd changer cable..one from the radio, down the center console, up behind the center speaker, and swing RIGHT then come out to the trunk on the Driver's Side..then cable #2 is then connect to that, then re-routed across the trunk, to the Passenger's side..that is y the cd changer is there..plus u need the Driver's side in case one of your blew out so you can put it there..

so, runs the cd changer cable starting from the passenger side..keep going until you get to driver's side and see if it's connected...also, check all the cable's connector pin..see if it's skinny pin or fat pin..u can force the cable to connect and seem to connect fine, but it won't work..

i have an 03 radio in my 93, also have a 97 mp3 changer in it..all works fine..but when i got my changer it came with the conversion cable, that let it plug into the 93's stock cable to make it work..

I could try to put the connector of the changer directly in to the head-unit. maybe that works..

but can anybody tell me by the codes on the head-unit and changer if my parts wil work together?

Ok, I'm a step closer.

I directly connected the changer to the head-unit without the cables in the between them.
The head-unit recognized it when i toggle to the AM/FM button, however, the EJECT-button light was not on, and when i push the eject button the changer makes a clickin-sound and the cartridge won't come out... :confused:

So I can switch to radio to CD now on my head-unit but it won't play the cd's and it won't fwd a track etc...

this is on the display : CdE-06

Does anybode know what this means ?? did the seller give me a defect changer ??

So I know that the radio recognized the cd-changer now. but why doesn't when i connect it in the trunk...
so i searched the cable in the trunk when i noticed that on the driverside the connector was not connected:

Last edited:
well my friend, sounds like to have to take the changer's cover off and manually push the magazine out..

thing must've shifted during shipping..that's the exact samething happen to me when i bought my mp3 changer..the changer got stuck...just take the bolts and cover off and u can push it out..and u'll be back to normal..

so i guess it right about the trunk cable.

I did manage to get the magazine out with a small srewdriver.
there were 4 cd's in the magazine and 2 of them were in the same slot :eek:

i've taken them all out and when searched with a flashlight in the changer i noticed that there was a cd stuck between the 2 little roles. approx 2 mm sticking out.
I hope to get it out and hopefully the changer works properly...

yeah man, thanks on the cable, i thought that it was just 1 long cable from head-unit to changer :smile:

well my friend, sounds like to have to take the changer's cover off and manually push the magazine out..

thing must've shifted during shipping..that's the exact samething happen to me when i bought my mp3 changer..the changer got stuck...just take the bolts and cover off and u can push it out..and u'll be back to normal..

so i guess it right about the trunk cable.

yes, I connected the changer back again without the magazine.
the cd was still jammed so i had a E-02.
Then I turned of the igniotion and installed the EMPTY magazine and when after it initialized itself it was good !!:smile:

I havent got any music yet because the amps are at BrianK :tongue:

thank you all for your help !

holy cow, you're not in the States? man, shipping oversea gonna take awhile..

glad u got it figured out..:D

holy cow, you're not in the States? man, shipping oversea gonna take awhile..

glad u got it figured out..:D

The Netherlands :smile:
If I order a part in the US, it will be here within 5 days, but the part stays approx. 3 weeks at the dutch customs.. and when it finally arrives at your door, u also have to pay another 20% tax over it....:mad:

Back