• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stripped a screw, now what?

Was trying to remove my front rotor and I stripped the head of the phillips screw holding it on. The impact screwdriver did not easily remove the screw as is was supposed to. Every time I hit it, the handle would just spin in my hand an the screw would not turn.

How do I now get this screw out to replace it?

Isn't there some sort of drill bit and thingy you can get Pep Boys or wherever? You drill a hole in the screw and insert the thingy which allows you to remove the stripped screw.

Originally posted by W:
Isn't there some sort of drill bit and thingy you can get Pep Boys or wherever? You drill a hole in the screw and insert the thingy which allows you to remove the stripped screw.

That's the easy-out mentioned above. You drill a hole in the middle of the bolt, then insert the easy-out screw extractor which is tapered and has something akin to reverse threads in it so as it tightens in the whole it begins to turn the broken bold. Works real well if the bolt was snapped off due to over tightening or shear, but not always as well when seized because you still have to overcome that condition.

Originally posted by W:

The thing I'm looking for is a reverse threaded drill bit set. I saw one once for removing bolts, but can't find it anymore...

Originally posted by wilsonp:
The thing I'm looking for is a reverse threaded drill bit set. I saw one once for removing bolts, but can't find it anymore...

Try a search on left handed drill bits!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

I did the same thing when removing my rotors - and the easy out that I bought snapped off in there by single hand pressure alone.

I ended up (I know this will sound bad) using a metal chisel to dent the screw near an edge, then put the flat part of the chisel against the edge, and hit it with a large metal hammer.

It was not fun, but it did break loose.

Of course, this was also after almost 1/4 can of wd40, sprayed in every couple of hours for about 3 days.
smile.gif

But I didn't have to get a mechanic to help me!
smile.gif

Back