• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stuck hub nut

I'm trying to remove the 36 mm nut on the rear hubs and I can't get one of them of. The first one came off with some force but the other side is stuck. I've tried penetrating oil, impact gun and 8 foot power bar and it just won't come off. What is my next option.

I'm trying to remove the 36 mm nut on the rear hubs and I can't get one of them of. The first one came off with some force but the other side is stuck. I've tried penetrating oil, impact gun and 8 foot power bar and it just won't come off. What is my next option.

Heat has never let me down. Get a torch and heat the nut till its nice and red and it should come out with a 2 foot or more breaker bar. Try to apply direct heat to the nut and not the axle. Leave the wheel on for more stability. Also go in the direction with no suspension travel. So passenger side would be down on the right side of the wheel and driver would be down left side of the wheel.

Those things can be pretty stubborn sometimes. It also helps if you cut or bend back the tab that they bend in to lock it in place. Thing can add a decent amount of friction.

I figure torch was going to be the answer even thought I was hoping not. I already bent back the tab. I will get the torches out this weekend and try it out. You say I should leave the wheels on which I did but how can I do that with the torch without damaging the wheels. I still have my old wheels but would rather not reck them.

I figure torch was going to be the answer even thought I was hoping not. I already bent back the tab. I will get the torches out this weekend and try it out. You say I should leave the wheels on which I did but how can I do that with the torch without damaging the wheels. I still have my old wheels but would rather not reck them.

On my s2000 I had decent space to heat up the nut without removing the wheel. I guess it all depends how comfortable you feel with your clearance and what wheels you have.

make the thing glow red. then spray the axle with some pb blaster, half the bottle will cool the axle but not the nut, I mean it will cool both but the axle will cool more then hit it with the impact

or while its glowing red tap it with a hammer and a screwdriver this will break it free from the axle.

but making it glow will def get it loose

I found a bigger power bar that didn't flex and was able to get it off without heat.

Good that you didn't heat it with a gas torch. It is definitely not good practice to heat to any where near red hot any part
of a heat treated high tensile steel axle. It can have the effect of annealing the area that has been heated
so changing some of the steel's properties.
If it won't move with standard socket and bar methods it is better and much easier to cut the nut off as I described in one of my posts.

Back