• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Studying the C6, kind of glad I didn't get one

I was considering the C6 as an alternative to the NSX, but I hate GM quality.

I followed this thread:

C6 Owners - List Your Problems

Here are some issues reported so far:

Cargo area carpet binds at back of right rear storage space lid when the lid is raised.
Auto close on the deck lid does not always engage.
Drivers side visor easily pops out of the catch.

Cruise control not working (tried replacing fuse)
Center accessory adapter not working (tried replacing fuse)
Driver trunk light out
Driver door panel loose
Passenger visor doesn't stay hooked
Shifter, 1-2 shift noise, general rattling when above 3K RPMs
Page button on HUD sticks
AC condensation dripping on exhaust when turned off

Defective FSU being replaced by dealer.

Slightly crooked HUD.
Adjustment requires dash intrusion so I opted to live with it.

Occassional clunking from rear-end when engaging/disengaing clutch in 1st gear.

1200 miles and nothing to complain about, although I do seem to have a slow leak in one of my priceless run-flats. With the exception of the 1-4 shift nonsense (daily driver in traffic, and that shift cr*p it's a total waste of technology), this is simply a great car!

Have been reading about the fuel senders
I am putting NOTHING but Sunoco 94 ULTRA in the 'Vette.
Other than Mobil, why are 'Vette owners putting cheap a** Shell, BP, Texaco, etc. gas in their cars? (You've got to be kidding. If a car has problems with the gas that's available at 95% of gas stations, then the problem is with the car and the car manufacturer, not the gas.)

1200 miles
Crackling in speakers with low bass tones-Stereo not as good as C5
Rubber against window outside on Drivers door keeps folding in.
Water still collects around hatchback opening after washing
Front spoiler contacts ground on slightest incline/bump/etc..
Engine makes clicking noises at idle

Then I noticed my air bag warning light was on. I guess I pushed the horn too hard. Anyway, after I got to work and shut off the car the warning light re-set No real problem, except for as hole van driver.

My C6's problems (some covered under other threads...)

1. Check engine light came on after only about 10 miles on the car. Engine runs fine, though.

2. Cruise control doesn't engage.

Been to 9 states, 2070 miles, 9 fill ups, changed the oil at 500, added magnetic drain plug, kept it under 135 MPH, haven't broke the back tires loose yet, have a hard time getting out of gas stations, oil is down 1/4 quart, radio makes so much noise that I can't hear the motor purr, but the bad part is my Vin is on the snap ring list.

The driver's side cargo lamp didn't work from mile 1. At 500 miles, the "Check Oil Level" message started apprearing in the DIC (oil level reads full on the stick). Other than those two, no other problems.

RF Tire Pressure Sender Failed.

MZ6 Trans, shifter rocks fwd/aft a half inch in 5th gear

Haven't hit 500 miles yet. Brakes squeak, drivers side visor won't stay hooked and glass roof creaks in colder temperatures. Just to remind me it's a GM product. But I love it anyway.

I'm developing something that sounds like either a bad lifter or an exhaust leak... kinda a hissing/ticking sound that varies with rpm's. On the minor side, I'm getting some wind noise through the drivers-side window, near the rear of the window, by my head

VIN #338, 850 miles.....

Well.....just after receiving a phone "survey" for the "GM's Engineering Dept.", said survey being conducted by an out-sourced company and given by a "kid" who probably couldn't spell Corvette, I was showing my car to some neighbors and opened the rear hatch and it WOULDN'T STAY OPEN!!!!! - BOTH (I guess) rear gas "shocks" are SHOT!....sheesh !

I swear I haven't open the hatch more than 20 times (AT THE MOST). The last time was last Wednesday, also showing the car in front of Starbucks to a C1 (1960) enthusiast.

Sheesh......it shouldn't - but it HURTS! All was going so well up until this!

just went out into the garage to drive my C6 only to find the battery dead again for the second time in two weeks. Car sat for 2 days in reverse. It is a 6 speed and I back it into the garage and always shut it off in reverse. Time for a new battery. I just hope nothing else is draining it. I guess I'll drive one of the older vettes as at least I can get in them and start them!!!

Has anyone noticed a difference in how far down the driver and passenger windows will go? My driver side window goes all the way down to where I can no longer see the window, but my passenger window drops to where about 1/4 of an inch is still sticking above the door. Is that normal? Anyone else notice this? I have seached everywhere on forum and fond nothing else on this.

P.S. I am not talking about indexing, I am talking about fully lowering windows.

Lumpy seat.
Door rattles with Bose on high
Ruff idle

I also have a pretty rough idle. I only have 350 miles, so still breaking it in. But when I idle it feels like it may even be skipping or missing once every second or two or three. And the skip isn't just a sound, it shakes or jumps the car a bit. Engine sounds a littel like a diesel at idle. I have never owned a Vette or any other car with this much power - is this rough/skippy idle normal? My previous most power was 222 hp with my Stealth and it purred like a kitty at idle. If the roughness is normal, thanks ok becasue the car is simply amazing - I LOVE it. It if it is suppposed to be smooth I need to take it in.

Crank pulley loose at 260 mi. Had diamond washer fix & since then no problems

Question - was the NSX this problematic when it was first introduced?

OMG and this is just from one guy. I expect new generation cars to have problems but not this much. I say that a 91 Nsx would still have better build quality than this C6.

Actually, that it is from multiple owners is a bigger indication of problems than if it were one owner who happened to get a lemon, had bad case of buyer's remorse, or was an anal engineer (not an engineer of anuses, but an engineer who was anal, which seems to be 99.9% of them :biggrin: ). I know it is a new product and they will likely make some running changes to improve it, but to me the C6 is not in the same class as the NSX. Not that the NSX is a better or worse class, just apples and oranges. When you can go down to the local chevy dealer (or the 6 local chevy dealers in the larger towns) and pick from 10 different ones sitting on the lot to choose from, it is not the same experience as the NSX, nor is the experience of driving one. Just my $.02.

Quote from above:
radio makes so much noise that I can't hear the motor purr, but the bad part is my Vin is on the snap ring list. end quote
................................................................................................

What is this? They have a snap ring issue with the new C-6? :rolleyes:
Hey guys at GM, don't you think you are going a little overboard with copying the NSX design. :biggrin:

steveny said:
Quote from above:
radio makes so much noise that I can't hear the motor purr, but the bad part is my Vin is on the snap ring list. end quote
................................................................................................

What is this? They have a snap ring issue with the new C-6? :rolleyes:
Hey guys at GM, don't you think you are going a little overboard with copying the NSX design. :biggrin:
That's what I was thinking! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back