• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sucks getting caught!!

Ouch! That's expensive.

"Police say he faces multiple charges and big fines for his near-NASCAR caliber performance through the Columbia Gorge."

What is near NASCAR caliber performance? I guess he only went in a straight line instead of a "slight curve"?
:smile:

BTW - "Police noted that the 146 reading was one of the highest they've seen in the state, but the all-time record goes to a man clocked at 159 mph in 1993."

kinda makes me want to go out and beat it....OR isn't too far away....hmmmm.
:wink:

(the thought of a chance to beat a record that's stood since '93!)

DrVolkl said:
"Police say he faces multiple charges and big fines for his near-NASCAR caliber performance through the Columbia Gorge."

What is near NASCAR caliber performance? I guess he only went in a straight line instead of a "slight curve"?
:smile:

BTW - "Police noted that the 146 reading was one of the highest they've seen in the state, but the all-time record goes to a man clocked at 159 mph in 1993."

kinda makes me want to go out and beat it....OR isn't too far away....hmmmm.
:wink:

(the thought of a chance to beat a record that's stood since '93!)

Eric, that's a great ideal. I say you go for the record.:biggrin:

Dtrigg said:
Eric, that's a great ideal. I say you go for the record.:biggrin:

I think I'm going to need some sponsers before I make my record breaking attempt....this is going to be a costly exercise...but hey, this record has stood for 13 years...who knows how long it will stand if I can get to say, 170?
:biggrin:

DrVolklBTW said:
- "Police noted that the 146 reading was one of the highest they've seen in the state, but the all-time record goes to a man clocked at 159 mph in 1993."

And guess what kind of car has the record at 159 MPH? A 1991 NSX.

According to Patrol Service Division records kept at the Oregon State Police General Headquarters, the highest recorded speed stopped by an OSP Trooper occurred on June 28, 1993 when a 1991 Acura was stopped on the south side of the Astoria Megler Bridge after it came into radar at 159 mph. The third highest recorded speed was 136 mph on Interstate 5 south of Salem in August 2004 by an OSP Trooper working in a specially equipped unmarked Chevrolet Camaro assigned to the Aggressive Driving Enforcement Program (ADEP).

http://egov.oregon.gov/OSP/NEWSRL/news/03_30_2005_speed_champ.shtml

brahtw8 said:
And guess what kind of car has the record at 159 MPH? A 1991 NSX.

According to Patrol Service Division records kept at the Oregon State Police General Headquarters, the highest recorded speed stopped by an OSP Trooper occurred on June 28, 1993 when a 1991 Acura was stopped on the south side of the Astoria Megler Bridge after it came into radar at 159 mph. The third highest recorded speed was 136 mph on Interstate 5 south of Salem in August 2004 by an OSP Trooper working in a specially equipped unmarked Chevrolet Camaro assigned to the Aggressive Driving Enforcement Program (ADEP).

http://egov.oregon.gov/OSP/NEWSRL/news/03_30_2005_speed_champ.shtml

weird coincidence:wink:

netfreak said:
Did anyone notice this??

"Travis J. Olsen, 31, of Portland, was behind the wheel of the high-performance BMW 540"

"No word on what he was driving."

I was just about to say the same thing.

Idiot reporters

Now I am confused. Do we as NSX people have the record? Does this mean that we don't have to take up a collection for Eric to break the record?:confused:

Dtrigg said:
Now I am confused. Do we as NSX people have the record? Does this mean that we don't have to take up a collection for Eric to break the record?:confused:

Yes we NSX people have the record. Eric can still pursue it as a personal endevor to raise the limit though:biggrin:

Minnesota trooper writes 205 mph speeding ticket
9/21/2004 5:07 PM from USA Today

WABASHA, Minn. (AP) — With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license — and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

0922042speed1.gif

Hugh said:
Minnesota trooper writes 205 mph speeding ticket
9/21/2004 5:07 PM from USA Today

WABASHA, Minn. (AP) — With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license — and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

Hugh, I think this is interesting information, but now we are talking about motorcycles versus automobiles. I really think it's important to discuss if Eric should try to break the current NSX record in his state, as well as to ask other NSX owners if they want to step up to the plate and establish new records in their states. I am so serious about this that I am willing to pledge between $2 and $5 toward their efforts:biggrin: .

I think that the BIKE Record is completely OFF... A Honda 1000 even with GOBS of power will not "EASILY" reach 200MPH let alone 205MPH... The bike would literally be OFF THE GROUND at this rate of speed.

If someone on this board who is a PRO-RACER and PHYSICS MAJOR convince me that it is possible, I'd be glad to recind "my statement".:wink: :eek:

Mike

Mojorator said:
I think that the BIKE Record is completely OFF... A Honda 1000 even with GOBS of power will not "EASILY" reach 200MPH let alone 205MPH... The bike would literally be OFF THE GROUND at this rate of speed.

If someone on this board who is a PRO-RACER and PHYSICS MAJOR convince me that it is possible, I'd be glad to recind "my statement".:wink: :eek:
Mike

Supposedly it was an RC-51. The bike would have to be heavily modified to reach those speeds. There's been a ton of discussion about this on the net.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=samuel+tilley+ticket&btnG=Search

A turbocharged Blackbird would be easily able to do it. There are tons of turbo Hayabusa around that easily break the 200 MPH mark with a small percentage capable of about 250MPH.

218mph.jpg

Mojorator said:

Mike

See the old thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40845

It was a calculated speed over a short distance. The margin of error was huge, and the speed not likely more than 175-180, IMHO.

Klayton said:
High performance 540i. :rolleyes:

I just bought a 95 540I M-sport. it is 282hp stock. it gets to 311hp with a simple $200 chip. It is pretty fast. My car is electronically governed to 155mph. Newest 540 will have even better performance. It is no regular sedan..

fkong777 said:
I just bought a 95 540I M-sport. it is 282hp stock. it gets to 311hp with a simple $200 chip. It is pretty fast. My car is electronically governed to 155mph. Newest 540 will have even better performance. It is no regular sedan..

Hi fkong777,

I own an E39 540i touring, yes it's fast. But it is no high performance car.

Mojorator said:

Mike

It was a stock RC51, that was later put on a dyno by one of the motorcycle mags. Nothing special.
An RC51 is maxed out as 165MPH. Shows how inaccurate the officers speed measurement was.

There are many motorcycles that will do 180 plus off the showroom floor.

All the Japanese manufactures now limit all the bikes to 300KPH about 183MPH, most of the limiters can be easily defeated.

Back