• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sudden low oil pressure

Past 2 weeks sudden drop in oil pressure--- when jump on it the oil pressure barely passes the half way point, usually 3/4+, had throttle body cleaned and air filter, car runs better but still low pressure?? Bad oil pump maybe?? My buddy burned out his engine with similar signs-- my engine never over heats-- need advise--thanks guys--lance

^ what they said but don't take the risk until you know for sure. Is it low all the time or just sometimes. Does the gauge bounce up and down? A bad sending unit problem usually sends back erratic signals but you're describing almost a total loss in pressure.

I'd park it, if I was in your shoes, and diagnose further.

Don't forget that there's also a separate oil pressure switch which drives the oil pressure idiot light. I had a situation where this switch malfunctioned and I knew from the gauge that I had oil pressure. I also had a situation where the gauge was showing next to zero and relied on the idiot light until I could get it fixed. And if there isn't enough pressure for safe VTEC operation, you'll also get a CEL code. There is also a procedure in the shop manual which shows where the dealer (or you) can temporarily connect a gauge to double check the pressure if you're suspecting the OEM gauge. Actually, the OEM gauge rarely fails .. it's always the sender unit which is what the SOS unit replaces and repositions. I installed the SOS unit and have had good luck with it.

what is the normal oil pressure on the gauge? my gauge is at around the half way point most of the time.

The oil pressure gauge goes up and down based on acceleration (just based on my own experience) if its bouncing up and down on its own at idle thats not good...

Back