• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Super Autocross" Event at El Toro Marine Base - Survey

Final update as of August 20, 2009: I have been unable to secure enough sponsors willing to defray the upfront costs for holding this event. Consequently, I will not be able to go forward and hold it. The poor economy and limited budgets big and small companies are contending with is the culprit. However, all is not lost. I have most of the details worked out so the next time I decide to hold this event, I will be that much farther ahead.

Sorry about getting the hopes up for those who expressed interest. I will try again sometime next year. In the mean time, there are car club and HPDE organizations such as Speed Trial USA to choose from. Those and other options for those who want to drive their cars at speed.

NOTICE: I am ready to move this SUPER AUTO-X event from a survey to reality. Here are a few key items:

When: Saturday, Oct. 24

Time: Meet time is 8AM sharp. Runs begin at 9AM, stop for lunch from noon-1PM, and resume
till 4PM. Concluding activities end by 5PM

Where: El Toro Marine Corps Air Base, Irvine, CA

Cost: $80 per entrant + $10 for one passenger

Today (July 23) I visited the base runway facility. Wow! Brian, my contact, was right. There is a lot of width and lenght to the areas of the base I will be utilizing. It works out to about half of the main and intersecting runway areas.

Some key super auto-x features of the course I will be designing include the following:
- The course length will be about 5 miles
- Time to complete one lap is estimated to range from 4.5-6 minutes based upon exactly how
the course is set-up
- Included will be all manner of turns, sweepers, a 360-degree drift, and two huge sweeper
turns
- Entrants will be limited to 75 cars
- Expected number of runs per car is 6-7. That's over 30 miles of auto-x running per car!

One of my next steps is to secure some sponsors to front the event costs. These sponsors will get most (~80%) of their money back from the participant receipts. Sponsors will get to set-up booths, market their sevices/products via on-site displays and my email notifications, and enter one car.

The course will be set-up on Friday, Oct. 23 from noon to sundown. I will need to either hire some helpers to do this and/or find enough volunteers to help out. Either a free pass or cash can be considered based upon getting enough to help that day and timeframe. I'll post the official event thread soon after I take care of some remaining things.

Update: The expected date of this event is Saturday, Oct. 24. As of 7/21, I am fairly certain this super auto-x event will happen. See my other posts below for more info.

I've been working on a planning a special "super" autocross-type event. I've made some progress and want to test the water for interest. After you read what I have in mind, my hunch is there will be plenty of interest for So Cal NSXS'ers and perhaps some who are out of the area.

While there are some NSX owners who enjoy participating in HPDE (hi-performance driver education) and/or track events, many do not. Most seem concerned about damaging their car by hitting something or something hitting their car such as rocks, sand, etc. Many autocrossers complain about the typical auto-x course being too short, not getting in enough runs for the money paid, or driving the entire course in 1st gear. I agree to all three complaints.

Here's my concept... A road course set-up ~3+ miles long with turns (90-degree, 180-degree, "s" turns, etc.), straightaways, slalom, 360-degree drift, and even a full stop mid-course to test your braking skills. Top speeds may exceed 100 MPH for those who choose to go that fast. Drivers will get 5 or more runs, depending on how we let cars on the course, that are timed to allow for gaging progress. Cars will enter the course spaced at 30-second intervals to provide safe spacing and timely completion of each run group.

The venue is the El Toro Marine Air Base runways. You can see how extensive they are by using the satellite option on Google maps. The event will begin at 8 AM and conclude by 5 PM. We will stop for lunch between noon-1:00. At 8:30, all will line up and take one low speed pass on the entire course so as to become familiar with it.

No passing. No following close to any car in front of you. No rock chips to worry about. A comprehensive "super" auto-x course without having to drive hundreds of miles to get to (for locals anyway).

Finally, I will set-up a course that will be challenging but mostly fun so you can explore your driving skills and the handling of your car. I plan to limit this event to 75 cars. Passengers are OK so long as SA-rated helmets are worn by all. I will do my best to keep the cost as low as possible.

When? I am shooting for either Oct. 10 or 17, [these dates are not available - as of July 17, the most likely date is Oct. 24] both days being a Saturday. I don't want to get into any more info at this time as things are subject to change. So, let me begin the "I'm interested" list.

1. YellowHaze

Last edited:
What about just using one of their runways for top speed runs, with some kind of emergency personnel on hand?

You could setup a series of cones for use as a (conservative) braking point, and use a becon system to determine speed.

Hey John. By "super" auto-x, I mean a coned and marked road course with all manner of twists, turns, hi-speed runs, and even a full stop to test braking skills. Think of this as a Top Gear test course on steroids or similar track layout to how they test cars. Here's your chance!

Hey John. By "super" auto-x, I mean a coned and marked road course with all manner of twists, turns, hi-speed runs, and even a full stop to test braking skills. Think of this as a Top Gear test course on steroids or similar track layout to how they test cars. Here's your chance!

I understand, they had a Evolution event a few weeks back that was similar, where they raffled off a new Evolution, and had free track time for those who were interested.

What I would like to do is similar to the "Texas Mile" event, basically, use one of the extended length runways (like they have at El Toro) for top speed runs, with emergency personnel on hand, and an established braking point. There are many venues for auto cross, or track time (although not as local), but there is almost nowhere available to attempt top speed runs.

Perhaps a 'top speed' run could be one facet of an overall 'super autocross' event, such a layout would be similar to the vehicle review of the top gear program you mention, some fun handling, followed by a top speed attempt on the main runway of their test track. As you say, there is a lot of real estate to play with at this venue.

Wow! Noone is interested in this? I find this hard to believe. I understand many are concerned about "hurting" their cars. In a controlled setting as this will be (which virtually eliminates any real potential to damage your car and to drive it on a fun course), I'm amazed 50 haven't expressed interest by now.

I wanted to plan this event specifically for NSX owners with the option of opening it up to other car makes until the car limit is reached. I also planned on making this an NSXCA sponsored event with some added pricing incentives.

I'd like to hear from the NSX community to see what I am not understanding. Washing, waxing, staring at, and parking an NSX in a garage can only bring so much satisfaction. Who wouldn't want a chance to drive their NSX beyond street speed limits without fear of getting a ticket?

I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

You da Man!!! Sounds good to me....count me in!!!!

Tony

I am right down the street, so I am down regardless, but if I had El Toro at my disposal, I know the 1 thing I would like to do with a runway :tongue:

1. YellowHaze (Steve)
2. tpagannsx (Tony)
3. Scorp965 (John)
4. You?

I think once some form of itinerary is formed, once the cost is nailed down & the schedule is formed, it should be easy to find people interested in attending.

Been there, done that

Wow! Noone is interested in this? I find this hard to believe. I understand many are concerned about "hurting" their cars. In a controlled setting as this will be (which virtually eliminates any real potential to damage your car and to drive it on a fun course), I'm amazed 50 haven't expressed interest by now.

I wanted to plan this event specifically for NSX owners with the option of opening it up to other car makes until the car limit is reached. I also planned on making this an NSXCA sponsored event with some added pricing incentives.

I'd like to hear from the NSX community to see what I am not understanding. Washing, waxing, staring at, and parking an NSX in a garage can only bring so much satisfaction. Who wouldn't want a chance to drive their NSX beyond street speed limits without fear of getting a ticket?

I'm all ears.

Several years back CDub and I along with another Primer tried to rent the autocross track that was set up by a car testing company (sorry don't recall the name) for an NSX event at the Marine Base. Great track, over 2 runways and crossover, high speed but still precise. But after rent, ambulance, shade area rental, insurance, portable toilets, ect/ect the numbers got to where it didn't pay. Based on the last Hollywood Park and Ventura AutoX's there was not enough cars at that time to make it work. The club owns cones and timing gear for the event if needed! Anytime has stored them for the club for years, Thanks John :biggrin: Hope it make sense, would love to assist if needed. Make it happen!! Gil

If I lived in CA I would do this 100%... :(

Maybe we can do an east coast version at the old Grumman test facility in Calverton. I went skydiving out there- plenty of runways!

Thanks, John. Thanks to you too, Tony. I also received a nice PM from Tino, one of our more senior NSX Prime members. Tino had some encouraging things to say and also expressed interest in attending.

Planning and organizing an event like this will be a lot of work. With 3 months to go unitl my target date, I am committed to making it happen. Just a few random pics that get my adrenalin going...

Top-Gear-USA-Track.jpg

m5lp_0510_02_z+_+photo.jpg

sv_sept03_autocross_flamemobile.jpg

http://cars.ign.com/dor/articles/77...ana-usa-20070402024430126.html?page=mediaFull

http://cars.ign.com/dor/articles/77...ana-usa-20070402024445032.html?page=mediaFull

Last edited:
Thanks, John. Thanks to you too, Tony. I also received a nice PM from Tino, one of our more senior NSX Prime members. Tino had some encouraging things to say and also expressed interest in attending. Only if he bring the Lambo!

Last edited:
Drivers will get 5 runs that are timed to allow for gaging progress.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but 5 runs (each about 2-3 minutes long) during the course of an eight hour day isn't all that enticing.

Previous SoCal NSX auto-X events provided more than enough driving for the day, with several 20-25 minute sessions during the day giving ample track time.

Add me to the list of those interested.

Some comments:
- Top speed runs should be a separate element. This isn't to say that there shouldn't be a faster section incorporated into the autocross course.
- Coming to a full stop on course gets old real quick. Could be an optional element.
- Autocross courses are difficult enough for newer people to navigate. Longer courses significantly compound this issue as well as increase the risk of cars catching up to one another. Worker safety is also a concern.
- If the event is well organized and run, everyone will get a chance to do plenty of runs.

Add me to the list of those interested.

Some comments:
- Top speed runs should be a separate element. This isn't to say that there shouldn't be a faster section incorporated into the autocross course.
- Coming to a full stop on course gets old real quick. Could be an optional element.
- Autocross courses are difficult enough for newer people to navigate. Longer courses significantly compound this issue as well as increase the risk of cars catching up to one another. Worker safety is also a concern.
- If the event is well organized and run, everyone will get a chance to do plenty of runs.

Good comments. Safety will be a key factor in designing and setting up the course. With two adjoining 1.8 mile runways (north/south ones), a straight run will be included to allow one to get up to some high speed. With help from the managing company who hosts the auto events for this venue, I intend to design the course my way. The 'full stop' is an opportunity for one to see how their car handles under hard braking. I intend to put that 'obstacle' at a good point in the layout.

Hint: The 'full stop' will be immediately followed by the 360-degree "drift" turn, a 1st gear turn.

1. YellowHaze
2. tpagannsx
3. Scorp965
4. bboxer
5. W

Last edited:
Don't make the corners too tight and silly. IMO it would be better to make the corners a little faster, wide, designed for a lot of runoff, for NSX owners to feel out the dynamics of their cars to give them the seat time to work on catching spins.

Make it the 17th please

Don't make the corners too tight and silly. IMO it would be better to make the corners a little faster, wide, designed for a lot of runoff, for NSX owners to feel out the dynamics of their cars to give them the seat time to work on catching spins.

Make it the 17th please

Hey Stuntman! Glad to hear from you. I'm trying (and not succeeding) to refrain from too many replies and details. Your comment about wider turns to allow NSX dynamics to be tested/felt is something I intend to do anyway. The typical auto-x layouts I've seen resemble a go-kart course and don't allow the space to try different moves on corners and turns.

I intend to post much more detail about how the course will be set-up once I get all of my questions answered by the site management company I am working with.

Last edited:

Make it the 17th please

Hey Billy,

If its on the 17th....you going to come out?

Tony

1. YellowHaze
2. tpagannsx
3. Scorp965
4. bboxer
5. W
6. RQNSX
7. g3driver
8. lazynok
9. Stuntman (pending)

The 'interest list' is looking better. I hope to get more info this week. If all looks OK, I will post additional details soon. At this time, I am leaning toward Oct. 17 as the day of the event. I will likely need the extra week to coordinate and get commitments from those supporting the many details that need to be taken care of.

Last edited:
Are window shoppers allowed to attend? I'm not interested in participating but would like to take some pics and video. :smile:

Back