• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Super Autocross" Event at El Toro Marine Base - Survey

Are window shoppers allowed to attend? I'm not interested in participating but would like to take some pics and video. :smile:

Absolutely! Entrance to the base will need to be controlled, but I have a simple way of handling that via email. Once I get the green light from my contact, I intend to put the word out and see about getting some media coverage, tuner shop support/participation, and perhaps some other ideas I conjure up.

While cars participating in the auto-x will need to be limited, those who wish to view and be part of the fun are welcome to a point. I will need to get rough headcount on all attending to ensure sufficient facilities are provided. NSX'ers will get preferential treatment even though this will be a multi-marque event.

How many runs do you think each car will get during the day?

Great idea. Count me in.

Best Regards,
Ed Chan

Here's a quick update. I am working on some key event items such as the need for a 1-day GL insurance policy and the runway area available to set-up a course. Some things aren't quite as I was initially told. The devil (if there is one) is usually found in the details. So, while this event is in the planning phase, it is not certain just yet.

I probably will not reply to your questions until I reach a go, no-go decision. For example, I may not get the runway area I want to design the kind of course I have in mind. Safety is a key concern as I want to avoid a layout where cars approach from opposite direction separated only by cones. Last but not least, the cost to put this event together has to come within budget.

The event company I have to work with is not as responsive as I would like. At this point, I am only 50-50 on whether I will be able to make this event happen with my target being sometime in October (3rd or 24th). Be patient and stay tuned.

Last edited:

Hey Anytime....were you just dreaming that you been there done that. Cause I didn't see anything on that link that justifies you even doing anything. If your going to comment on someone's thread make sure you post something we can go by.

Last edited:
Hey Anytime....were you just dreaming that you been there done that. Cause I didn't see anything on that link that justifies you even doing anything. If your going to comment on someone's thread make sure you post something we can go by.

Did you read the topic of this thread??? It says "SURVEY" :confused:
Exactly what I did. Oh, I did alot of things and it went south real quick when it came to attendies that wanted to attend (unless you think I only started a thread, then you must be joking).
Money, money, money......that's what makes events pay for themselves. Mabye you can put upfront a few thousand dollars and then invite some people to try to offset yours costs? If not, keep you opinions to yourself. Otherwise, have a nice day :biggrin:

Did you read the topic of this thread??? It says "SURVEY" :confused:
Exactly what I did. Oh, I did alot of things and it went south real quick when it came to attendies that wanted to attend (unless you think I only started a thread, then you must be joking).
Money, money, money......that's what makes events pay for themselves. Mabye you can put upfront a few thousand dollars and then invite some people to try to offset yours costs? If not, keep you opinions to yourself. Otherwise, have a nice day :biggrin:

Maybe if you said this in the first place....it would have made more sense.

If you clicked on my link and actually read it, it would have be abundantly clear.

I think the point Tony is making is that you seem to be dismissive of Steve's efforts, while your referenced thread only shows the smallest degree of planning; Steve has progressed into a more significant stage of planning, with more precise details, while your 'been there done that' specified only the venue, and a vague reference to 'low triple digits'.

If Steve is willing to put forth the effort required to plan this event, the community should support him; as you know, from planning the various Cal Coastal drives, it is a significant undertaking that few are willing to take on.

You know I would go steve, but I move back to Texas in late August:frown:

I didn't know that, Moses. You and Monica will be missed. I hope you are moving for a positive reason. In any event, I wish you all the best in your new home, ya'll. Hopefully, you'll be near a race venue like Texas Auto Speedway. :biggrin:

I didn't know that, Moses. You and Monica will be missed. I hope you are moving for a positive reason. In any event, I wish you all the best in your new home, ya'll. Hopefully, you'll be near a race venue like Texas Auto Speedway. :biggrin:

Wifey is getting sent to GTMO for a year, so I'm going home to San Antonio, Texas during that year and then we'll be back in Port Hueneme Octoberish 2010 until Novemberish 2012. So don't worry, we'll be back. :biggrin: (hopefully in time for NSXPO 2010)

I think the point Tony is making is that you seem to be dismissive of Steve's efforts, while your referenced thread only shows the smallest degree of planning; Steve has progressed into a more significant stage of planning, with more precise details, while your 'been there done that' specified only the venue, and a vague reference to 'low triple digits'.

If Steve is willing to put forth the effort required to plan this event, the community should support him; as you know, from planning the various Cal Coastal drives, it is a significant undertaking that few are willing to take on.

I'm not sure how any conclusion was made to how far I went into the planning? Only a few sparked interest and the planning stopped because it would have be cost prohibitive to each attendee. Plain and simple.
I have the timing equipment, cones, software, many autocrosses under my belt and have assembled quite a few experienced guys that have backed me on all the autocrosses. If you build it, they will come event didn't work in my case when I tried to plan and get members to go. Usually a huge list forms and from that you knock it down quite a bit when it comes time to PAY.
I wish Steve all the luck in making this happen.

Last edited:
Second update: The new expected date of this event is Saturday, Oct. 24.

OK, here is a revised update...

I have the insurance, EMT, runway area availability, sweepers, cones, signs, port-a-potty, food, and a few other facility items squared away. I do not need 75 NSX owners to show-up. This event will be open to multiple sports car marquees in order to meet my 75 entrant quota.

As the Southwestern Regional Rep for the NSXCA, I will have budgetary control of certain club funds to make this an NSXCA hosted event. There will be a price break for NSXCA members and a likely price incentive to join the club as ANYTIME did with the NSXCA New Year karting event in January.

As of right now, the date will be Saturday, Oct. 3. My biggest obstacle is not getting timely support from the marketing company that plans events at the airbase. I have yet to visit the base to see the runway areas in person, but expect to do so soon. (Update: I will be visiting the base on Thursday, July 23.) This event is still not official and subject to change until I get written confirmation of some remaining key items.

When I'm ready, I'll be asking for some volunteers to work the course and help with directing things. I'll also be looking for some photographers who want to attend to watch the fun and take lots of pics, some of which they can submit without copyright limits. Refereshments and lunch will be provided for these individuals.

I do not have timing equipment secured at this time. ANYTIME, is your equipment available for use? If so, can you briefly describe what kind it is and how it sets-up?

That's it for now. I'm fairly certain this is gonna happen. Still, some key things remain to be addressed. I'm work'in on it! :cool:

Last edited:
FYI - To be an NSXCA sanctioned event, a proposal with a budget needs to be submitted in front of the board for approval. I suggest removing that this is a "NSXCA event" until approval has been made. Since the club is a not for profit group, events are restricted to 90% club members and only 10% non members.

FYI - To be an NSXCA sanctioned event, a proposal with a budget needs to be submitted in front of the board for approval. I suggest removing that this is a "NSXCA event" until approval has been made. Since the club is a not for profit group, events are restricted to 90% club members and only 10% non members.

Timing equipment???

DAMN!!! Just answer Steve's question!!! Let him worry about the other crap!!!

I appreciate your interest in this event, Tony. John and I spoke today about the timing equipment. It belongs to the NSXCA and being a member of the board, I'll look into making good use of it.

As for me, I'm working on the other crap. So far, so good. :wink:

I appreciate your interest in this event, Tony. John and I spoke today about the timing equipment. It belongs to the NSXCA and being a member of the board, I'll look into making good use of it.

As for me, I'm working on the other crap. So far, so good. :wink:

Sounds cool Steve. And don't get me wrong....if anyone can take car of the crap....I'm pretty sure you can. I've just been seeing this on to many threads and it gets really annoying. If you are asked a question....then answer it...no need for any other comments. Can't wait for this event to happen. See you at the next SCA meet in Aug....right?

Sounds cool Steve. And don't get me wrong....if anyone can take car of the crap....I'm pretty sure you can. I've just been seeing this on to many threads and it gets really annoying. If you are asked a question....then answer it...no need for any other comments. Can't wait for this event to happen. See you at the next SCA meet in Aug....right?

You're a good guy, Tony. No negative vibes taken. As far as the next SCA meet, if I can keep my speed on Harbor Blvd. under 40 mph and not get a ticket this time :rolleyes:, then I plan on being there.

Easy now........
Steves post was edited after mine to include a question I did not see earlier. Instead of posting more detailed and relavant information in regards to event planning, I called Steve and talked in length about this. I personally think this should NOT be an NSXCA sanctioned event, as there are way to many rules and restrictions that need to be adhered to.

Second update: The new expected date of this event is Saturday, Oct. 24.

OK, here is a revised update...

I have the insurance, EMT, runway area availability, sweepers, cones, signs, port-a-potty, food, and a few other facility items squared away. I do not need 75 NSX owners to show-up. This event will ...........

Word of advice, in the future, please don't put "port-a-potty" next to "food". :tongue:

J/K.

Word of advice, in the future, please don't put "port-a-potty" next to "food". :tongue:

J/K.

Derrrr.... (With a dose of your sarcasm Randy, I don't need cream in my coffee this morning.)

I am moving forward with this event! See my first posting on this thread for some updated info.

Back