• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharged NSX on the F1 track (Hungaroring)

Just thought it would be interesting to share.

We have been on the Hungaroring (yes this is the same track, where the F1 guys are racing every year) trackday with the SOS Supercharged NSX.
This was the first test with the car on track, and it is awsome to drive! We still have some issue with the supercharger itself (it is our fault) as the car only produces around 370-380Hp.

The car was built not for a track only car! The air condition, the hifi is still in. the suspension is "only" a K&W V3, no extreme weight reduction. On the other hand the car PC system worked just fantastic! On the center console the following data is visible continously: Water temp, oil temp, engine load, rpm, EGT line1, EGT line2, lambda line1, lambda line2, input air temp. It can be set up manually to change the colour of the line to red if it is above or under the given range. It is great during the track as you do not have to look the monitor.

As it was the first drive on track with the car I have stayed on the safer side with the braking points and the corners, so there is a lot in the car with the current setup! The best lap is starting from 14:25. The weak point is the driver, tha car is just awsome!

ONLY WITH SOUND!!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1bdh73w3o0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The car:
1. Scienceofspeed Supercharger 0.85bar (86mm pulley, Kenne Bell)
2. Limanova Intercooler
3. Forged Pistons 90.5mm, 9.5:1
4. ARP Head Stud KIT
5. Scienceofspeed Lost Motion Assembly KIT (VTEC Springs)
6. Cedar Ridge Crankshaft Damper Pulley Shield
7. ScienceofSpeed Billet Camshaft Plugs
8. AEM EMS (OBD1 Engine)
9. Scienceofspeed MAP Sensor 3Bar
10. AEM Inline Wideband UEGO x2 (AFR Sensor)
11. AEM EGT Sensor x2
12. Driving Ambition Racing Radiator
13. Downforce Air Intake Scoop
14. AEM Boost Pressure Gauge
15. AEM Oil Temp Gauge
16. ScienceofSpeed Big Bore Throttle Body
17. Stoptech Big Brake KIT (ST40)
18. Carbotech XP-10 Brake Pads (CT-609)
19. Brake Air Deflector
20. Accusump Oil Accumulator System
21. Scienceofspeed Oil Pan Baffle
22. OS Giken Differential L.S.D. (4.06:1 ratio)
23. KW Variant 3 Suspension
24. ScienceofSpeed Adjustable Anti-Sway Bars
25. Street wheels: Advan RS Dark Gun (Front 17x8.0 ET37, Rear 18x10 ET37)
26. Street Tires: Dunlop Sport9000 225/35R17(Front) Dunlop Sport MAXX 265/35R18(Rear)
27. Track wheels: Work XT-7 Matte Bronze (Front 17x8.0 Rear 18x9.5)
28. Track Tires: Yokohama slick Front 230/610R17 Rear 280/650R18
29. Sparco Ring Steering Wheel 330mm + NSX-R horn KIT
30. Rapid Steering HUB -- Black Matte
31. Comptec Sport Exhaust
32. Comptech Pro Headers
33. Stealth License frame
34. Downforce NSX-R Rear Wing
35. Wing West side skirts
36. SEIBON Carbon Fiber Rear Valance
37. SEIBON Front Spoiler
38. CarPC Display (7" TouchScreen)
39. CarPC Computer (ASUS ITX-220 Intel Atom, 30Gb SSD, Windows XP)
40. Electrical Water Pump (Davies, Craig EWP80 / Controller Combo)
41. Scienceofspeed Oil Breather Tank

Last edited:
Very nice build and video! Do you have log of what your Intake Air Temps were like towards the end of your run? What sensor are you using for this?

Where can I get plaid nomex shorts? :biggrin:
On a serious note, what is it about the NSX exhaust that makes it sound so damn sweet when reflected off of highway dividers and semi trailers? That is the sound that I truly live for, that phased, reflected NSX exhaust sound.

Very nice build and video! Do you have log of what your Intake Air Temps were like towards the end of your run? What sensor are you using for this?

I do not have a log, but the intake air temp was around 72Celsius degree at the first round and at the end was about 84Celsius. The outside temerature was around 25-26 Celsius.

Nice sound ,want to asc you about suspension on track because I installed my KW V3 today(in what position is your rebound and hardness?)
Used the one I have found here and advised by Billy Johnson! Search in the track talk topic!

The suspension is just great. I had bilsteins in the car and I liked it a lot. than installed TEIN flex, which was faster about 1-1,5 sec around the Hungaroring, but I did not liked it as it was too stiff and bumpy. The K&W v3 is waaay better and faster!

Post some pics of the car. Nice build. Sounds GREAT!

Gotta love europe....shorts/shortsleeves....and collar up! what rpm were you shifting at?

Gotta love europe....shorts/shortsleeves....and collar up! what rpm were you shifting at?

LOL... yeah all they require for safety is a condom. Put one on, you're good to go on any track.

:smile::tongue:.

It was an openday, the helmet is the only requirement. What is the requirement regarding safety over the big see?? I saw a lot of video and could not recognise any major differnece.

I had to shift at 7,100 as we have some problem with the supercharger (due to the fault of the tuner, not the hardver itself) and the boost is dropping significantly above that rpm. We have found the problem, but on the video is only around 370-380hp due to this fault.

Last edited:
LOL... yeah all they require for safety is a condom. Put one on, you're good to go on any track.
LOL.... ( I have one always on when going on the track:biggrin::biggrin:)

On the other hand seeing the onboard videos from the US, I can understand that they require much more than this as there are things you can not buy for money.....:cool::rolleyes:

our "open" track days require cotton long sleeves/pants.Collar up is optional.windows must be down.All our events must be insured.

our "open" track days require cotton long sleeves/pants.Collar up is optional.windows must be down.All our events must be insured.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have to drive with open windows? At track events here they require the windows closed if there is a person seated right next to it to prevent arms "falling" out in case of an accident/roll.

Nice video btw. Looks like a nice track. Did you use GoPro camera?

I think it is to allow safety personel into the car quickly... Not sure... but I think it is dumb because I agree without a net you can quickly be de-gloved in an accident.

I had to shift at 7,100 as we have some problem with the supercharger (due to the fault of the tuner, not the hardver itself) and the boost is dropping significantly above that rpm. We have found the problem, but on the video is only around 370-380hp due to this fault.
Just curious... what kind of problem would cause a SC to drop boost at high rpm? Do you have a manual controller hooked up to the bypass valve?

Just thought it would be interesting to share.

We have been on the Hungaroring (yes this is the same track, where the F1 guys are racing every year) trackday with the SOS Supercharged NSX.
This was the first test with the car on track, and it is awsome to drive! We still have some issue with the supercharger itself (it is our fault) as the car only produces around 370-380Hp.

The car was built not for a track only car! The air condition, the hifi is still in. the suspension is "only" a K&W V3, no extreme weight reduction. On the other hand the car PC system worked just fantastic! On the center console the following data is visible continously: Water temp, oil temp, engine load, rpm, EGT line1, EGT line2, lambda line1, lambda line2, input air temp. It can be set up manually to change the colour of the line to red if it is above or under the given range. It is great during the track as you do not have to look the monitor.

As it was the first drive on track with the car I have stayed on the safer side with the braking points and the corners, so there is a lot in the car with the current setup! The best lap is starting from 14:25. The weak point is the driver, tha car is just awsome!

ONLY WITH SOUND!!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1bdh73w3o0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The car:
1. Scienceofspeed Supercharger 0.85bar (86mm pulley, Kenne Bell)
2. Limanova Intercooler
3. Forged Pistons 90.5mm, 9.5:1
4. ARP Head Stud KIT
5. Scienceofspeed Lost Motion Assembly KIT (VTEC Springs)
6. Cedar Ridge Crankshaft Damper Pulley Shield
7. ScienceofSpeed Billet Camshaft Plugs
8. AEM EMS (OBD1 Engine)
9. Scienceofspeed MAP Sensor 3Bar
10. AEM Inline Wideband UEGO x2 (AFR Sensor)
11. AEM EGT Sensor x2
12. Driving Ambition Racing Radiator
13. Downforce Air Intake Scoop
14. AEM Boost Pressure Gauge
15. AEM Oil Temp Gauge
16. ScienceofSpeed Big Bore Throttle Body
17. Stoptech Big Brake KIT (ST40)
18. Carbotech XP-10 Brake Pads (CT-609)
19. Brake Air Deflector
20. Accusump Oil Accumulator System
21. Scienceofspeed Oil Pan Baffle
22. OS Giken Differential L.S.D. (4.06:1 ratio)
23. KW Variant 3 Suspension
24. ScienceofSpeed Adjustable Anti-Sway Bars
25. Street wheels: Advan RS Dark Gun (Front 17x8.0 ET37, Rear 18x10 ET37)
26. Street Tires: Dunlop Sport9000 225/35R17(Front) Dunlop Sport MAXX 265/35R18(Rear)
27. Track wheels: Work XT-7 Matte Bronze (Front 17x8.0 Rear 18x9.5)
28. Track Tires: Yokohama slick Front 230/610R17 Rear 280/650R18
29. Sparco Ring Steering Wheel 330mm + NSX-R horn KIT
30. Rapid Steering HUB -- Black Matte
31. Comptec Sport Exhaust
32. Comptech Pro Headers
33. Stealth License frame
34. Downforce NSX-R Rear Wing
35. Wing West side skirts
36. SEIBON Carbon Fiber Rear Valance
37. SEIBON Front Spoiler
38. CarPC Display (7" TouchScreen)
39. CarPC Computer (ASUS ITX-220 Intel Atom, 30Gb SSD, Windows XP)
40. Electrical Water Pump (Davies, Craig EWP80 / Controller Combo)
41. Scienceofspeed Oil Breather Tank

Who made the gloves and the shorts? :biggrin:

Hmm....there are advantages and disadvantages with both setup I think. If the long sleeves is not fire proof. But as a general comment for both setup, if the car does not have a rollcage and no proper suit for the driver both of them are dangerous. I see no differnece!

Now I understand why there were so many 'unusual' shifts at the end of a straight. :)

Yes :frown: I had to shift at 7,100 because the torque curve is dropping dramatically from 5,700 rpm, due to the failure in the supercharger. (it has been deassambled and not propery assembled back again :mad::frown:. I only had around 370hp, but I can tell you it is damm quick :biggrin:

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why do you have to drive with open windows? At track events here they require the windows closed if there is a person seated right next to it to prevent arms "falling" out in case of an accident/roll.

Nice video btw. Looks like a nice track. Did you use GoPro camera?

Yes it is GoPro with LCD display.

The Hungaroring is not bad, however I do not like the rythm of the track. My favourite is the PANNONIARING, one of the best and most technique track in Europe. here is one of my old ride...
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9LzYfHqiyz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just curious... what kind of problem would cause a SC to drop boost at high rpm? Do you have a manual controller hooked up to the bypass valve?
No. I twas the failure caused by the tuner. The supercharger has been taken to apart (even the Sc inside) and not properly put back again. Thet is why we loosing the boost from 5,700 rpm :-( It seems that a new supercharger is a must to gain back the 70-90 hp wha tis missing from the setup!

Back