• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supercharger questions

1. I am curious as to what the "street" numbers mean with a
supercharger? For my "car and driver" frame of reference,
very simply, are the 0-60 times similar to that of a 360 spyder?

2. Is the car still as civil in every day use?

3. Is there a big difference in performance among the
superchargers available? I ask as I notice the Basch sc seems
to cost 3 grand less than others.

4. Finally, are superchargers reliable or do they require constant
servicing?

:cool:

1. Yes, 0-60 should be comparable to a Ferrari 360, though an NSX w/ stock 5-speed tranny and certain supercharger setups may be a few tenths slower beause it's not geared well for 0-60. 0-60 is an extremely poor performance metric for a car like an NSX or Ferrari 360.

2. Yes, as far as I know none of the superchargers available degrade everyday driveability of the car, though I have not yet seen the most recently introduced one from Dali.

3. Yes, there are major fundamental differences in the available NSX supercharger systems - things such as positive displacement versus centrifugal blowers, completely different approaches to fuel delivery, different power profiles, different types of support, etc. The "real world" prices for a coupe are within about $1500 - $2000 of each other, but the current CTSC for an NSX-T requires a different strut bar that is expensive. So for your '95 NSX-T the CTSC would indeed be around $3k more expensive.

4. Reliable and requiring service are very different things. The blowers themselves are quite reliable, and are all used on tens of thousands of other cars. Occasional maintenance is needed, but the details vary between kits. None of it is very expensive or time consuming -- comparable to changing your motor oil.

Reliability of the car after the kit is installed is an entirely different issue.

Thank you very much, very helpful.

I understand that 0-60 is a poor parameter, but, alas, it is all I truly understand from a "street performance" perspective.

Is there a preference among supercharger enthusiasts with regard to the "type" ie: centrafugal, etc?

As it applies to "reliability" I was speaking about the car itself, though I suppose understanding the service requirements of the SC would be helpful to know as well.

Does the NSX ommunity seem to favor one make over another?

I'm not sure what you mean by street performance, but the MPH at the end of the 1/4 mile is a much better indicator of performance than 0-60 time.

The CTSC has the most NSX installs by far, but it has also been around much longer than any of the others. Each system has it's pros and cons. Everyone has their favorites, and it largely depends on your priorities. I do not know how many of a given brand are sold per month now that the other options are out there.

What I mean't by street performance, is what I can do legally on the highway... 0-60 is legal, 1/4 mile time is probably well beyond what is legal...

Do you have a personal favorite??

Gerry does a great job from what I hear.

Turbo isn't for everyone though.

There are more choices for superchargers than those listed.

To each his own though. Depends on how deep your pockets are also.

gas mileage with SC/Turbo

I don't know a lick about FI so here is my question.

I've heard that turbo could improve your mpg for the nsx. is this true? how about for a SC?

also, why is turbo not for everyone, other than personal preference?

Never heard about the mpg theory :confused:
So people prefer the smooth, constant, steady delivery of boost of the SC compared with the 'normal' sudden onset of boost by a turbo. I had a SC engine but love the sound of a blow off valve that comes along with a turbo.

I am not sure that a turbo system will improve MPG (although I have heard the same thing also) Here is my opinion on that. I didn't buy an NSX for the best MPG and I certainly did not install the turbo for mileage economy.

I do not think that the turbo delivers abrupt power. The boost is based on engine load. So if I put it to the floor the turbo will spool instantly and there fore put you back in your seat. That is the desired effect, right. If you do not want the turbo to abruptly put you back in the seat then don't slam the gas.

92 NSX If I remember correctly you have a centrifical sc (no need to mention which one) which blew your motor. Why do you still support a product that blew your motor?Even if someone has promised to replace it for free your car is still down for months waiting for that to happen.

Also I understand that there is more choices for an SC kit then what I mentioned, let me clarify my statement on the remaining kits.(all of which I have driven and one of them I owned and removed) The NSX badly needs torque which a centrifical SC will not give you. I did not notice barely any difference with my centrifical SC compared to a stock NSX (full boost at 8k).

The Turbo,Gruppe M, and the Comptech will give you full boost early (3k rpm approx) Therefore you take advantage of getting torque early in the gear and you accelerate faster.

I can't wait until NSXPO this year so hopefully we can resolve the ongoing conversation of which kit or system is best, fastest, etc....

To anyone who is looking to buy an SC, stay away from a centrifical SC setup learn from my expensive mistake.

Re: gas mileage with SC/Turbo

jbum said:
also, why is turbo not for everyone, other than personal preference?
Brian outlined the benefits of turbos vis-a-vis SCs in an NSX application pretty well above. For NorCal folks, the ONLY really good reason to go SC instead of turbo is no-hassle smog legality (applies to CTSC only). I've been in Brian's car and it's much faster than all the SC NSXen that I've driven (which includes every currently available SC kit). BTW, Brian thinks I'm a wuss for even caring about smog legality...

Number 9, you really have two ways to pass smog:

1. There are plenty of curropt smog shops that will gladly take your $100-$150 to get your car to pass.

2. For the same amount of money (2 hour shop labor) you can unbolt the turbo from the headers and reinstall your stock exhaust with cats. You then have to reinstall the stock coil packs and change the fuel injectors back to stock and connected to the stock ecu. Since my TEC II uses its own sensors, I still have the stock wiring harness in the car and all its connections/sensors intact. Then just install the intake and take your test.

I will have to pass smog this year and I will let you all know how I do. I plan on taking option 2.

Number 9 you really should reconsider....Maybe you will change your mind after you go for a drive when the car comes out of the shop. (18-20psi)

Turbo,
Believe me, I am in NO way supporting anybody in any way now. I was merely stating that I had a SC to back up my reasoning and my opinion.
What SC did you have, or do we need to mention it?

92NSX,

When will your car be completed? What fuel management have you decided to use going forward? How long has your car be out of commission?

ALIENT

questions about Gerry Johnson Turbo

1) Does he have an actual "kit" or is every install "custom".

If it is a custom install on each car then there seems no way to get one of his turbos on a NSX in New Jersey (cost being a factor).

2) What is the price compared to a SC kit?

3) Does he have any other place to mount "BIG ASS" intercooler? Some people like the little bit of rear visibility they have and don't want to give it up, plus I have a targa.

I really would rather have a turbo system instead of a SC, however the statement, "A Gerry Johnson turbo is the only way to go" is too broad. For some people I don't think it's feasable. Hopefully the Factor X system will shed some new light.

John

Re: questions about Gerry Johnson Turbo

jadkar said:
1) Does he have an actual "kit" or is every install "custom".

If it is a custom install on each car then there seems no way to get one of his turbos on a NSX in New Jersey (cost being a factor).

2) What is the price compared to a SC kit?

3) Does he have any other place to mount "BIG ASS" intercooler? Some people like the little bit of rear visibility they have and don't want to give it up, plus I have a targa.

I really would rather have a turbo system instead of a SC, however the statement, "A Gerry Johnson turbo is the only way to go" is too broad. For some people I don't think it's feasable. Hopefully the Factor X system will shed some new light.

John

Here, I'm sure Gerry would love to give you all the answers you need.

http://www.pansx.com/

Jadkar to answer some of your questions

Does he have an actual "kit" or is every install "custom". :
At this point the kits are all custom, I am not sure what his plans are for a shippable kit. BTW the majority of the cars that he has done are from out of state and are shipped to his shop. You may be able to work something out with him on a shippable "custom" kit.

What is the price compared to a SC kit?
You might be better off talking to him because there are so many variables (ie: engine management, type of intercooler, injector sizes, etc) I am pretty sure that you can get his kit installed with a stand alone for cheaper then what you could get a comptech and have it installed for, and you get better performance and complete engine management.

Does he have any other place to mount "BIG ASS" intercooler? Some people like the little bit of rear visibility they have and don't want to give it up, plus I have a targa

My turbo kit has the intercooler mounted in the bottom and has fans mounted for cooling. The intercooler stays about the same as ambient temperature. If you go to the link that 92NSX listed above and click on the yellow car that is mine and you can see pics of the turbo and intercooler there.

thanks !!!

Thank you very much for your input, I am definitely going to call him. I will take a look at the link as well.

John

very cool

Ok!!!......................Now you have my attention.

First off, your yellow NSX is so f'ing beautiful. Everything about it looks great. I have a ton of questions, here are just a few

I would never dare to change my radio because of love the lines of the stock dash, but yours is awesome. I am just curious what's that dual display device above the radio, is it a fuel Mgt. unit?

I really like where the intercooler is. Do you have a lot of lag because of the distance from the intake? How much boost are you running? Do you have stock internals?

Last, I love the darker rear lights. Where did you get them? and do them come with the "NSX" on the center panel, or did you put it there?

If the price is reasonable I am seriously going to look into the turbo setup. Thanks again for the enlightenment.

Regards,

John

Stay On Topic

ALIENT said:
92NSX,

When will your car be completed? What fuel management have you decided to use going forward? How long has your car be out of commission?

ALIENT

What difference does it make? The original post was asking about various SC options and their HP / TQ figures.

If you want to know something about an individual's car that has no socially redeeming value to this thread, why not send that person a private e-mail? :rolleyes: BTW, you know as well as 92NSX does, that the engine management system will not be selected by him. And neither will yours. :p

Re: Stay On Topic

AndyVecsey said:
What difference does it make? The original post was asking about various SC options and their HP / TQ figures. If you want to know something about an individual's car that has no socially redeeming value to this thread, why not send that person a private e-mail?

The thread is 'Supercharger Questions' and this is a question about his supercharger. I asked what fuel management he is going to use, and the next question was going to be why he chose that. I think that it is TOTALLY on topic.

BTW, you know as well as 92NSX does, that the engine management system will not be selected by him. And neither will yours. :p

WTH are you talking about? Do you know? :p

Now back on Topic, What fuel management system are you running with your SC setup? Have you tuned out your detonation problems?

Last edited:
Why Use Profanity?

WTF are you talking about? Do you know?

Yes.

Have you tuned out your detonation problems?

Yes.

Jadkar,

Thanks for the compliments.

Here are some more answers....

The units above the radio are a Blitz SBC-id boost controller and the other is a Blitz power meter. My fuel and engine management are controlled by an Electromotive TEC II.

There is really no lag that is noticeable at all. I was running between 8-10 psi and I am currently having the block sleeved and low comp pistons....when completed 18-20 psi. This kinda brings me to another point. If one wanted to go low comp and boost higher with any other kit but Gerry's you would have to buy all sorts of upgrades if it is even possible. With this kit turn up the boost on the boost controller and retune that is it. If memory serves me right the turbo that is on the car can produce up to 32psi but I am not sure on how efficient it is...point is more then you will ever be able to use on a NSX.

The darker lights were done at the body shop when I had the car painted. It is a red candy paint mixed in with some clear coat and just sprayed over the top of the lenses. To place the NSX sticker in the lens just heat up the old sticker a little and take it off and replace with the new one (you will have to have it made at a sticker shop)

Back