• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SUPERCHARGER RELIABILITY

I am considering installing a Comptech supercharger on a 1991 and have two concerns. First, how are drivability and reliability impacted? Second, I currently take my car out to the Moroso road course and run it hard for 1/2 hour or more at a time for 100 to 150 miles a day. Will the car hold up under these conditions? Do you use a lower shift point with a supercharger? Thanks!

The CT blower will not change the realiability of your car. With the exception of changing a blower belt every couple of years, it will be exactly the same service schedule, exactly the same realiablity, but with more hp.

The shift points should also remain the same. The power curve changes shape a little bit, but for the most part, it just looks like you lifted the curve on the dyno chart. This is especially true when you get past VTEC engagement, where spirited driving takes place. You may run through clutches and brakes faster if you track the car a lot, but that is due to adding hp, not the blower itself.

Drivability improves noticably, as you know actually have some low-end torque.

Here is an old dyno chart from when I had a 3.0L CT blower motor:

View

The NSX is meant to drive hard. Just be sure to take proper care of it when you're done.
I drove my N/A (not supercharged) '91 with 45K across Nevada for two continuous hours at speeds where the middle number was never below "2". The outside temp was 95 degrees and I had my air conditioner blasting. The car's temp never rose and the oil pressure remained normal.
Just be sure and change the fluids when you're all done.
BTW, I never saw a single car in those hours of "spirited" driving. Although, I did have to slow once when I came across two cows crossing the highway!

[This message has been edited by ChopsJazz (edited 28 April 2001).]

Back