• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Survey: Does your car have wrinkled finish on the center AC vent, etc?

My '94 has wrinkles in the surface of the center AC vent and the armrest window control panels. Most likely caused by exposure to sun and heat and age.

Do any later year cars have this problem?
I heard that the '97 and later cars had an improvement to reduce this and I'm wondering if it cured the wrinkling problem.

I would like to hear from as many people as possible especially from people who have cars that have been left in the sun and heat a lot.

Please indicate:
1.) Wrinkled or not
2.) Year of car
3.) Has the car been exposed to a lot of sun/heat

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:
Mine has the same problem on the center console. The car sat inside a garage that wasn't climate controlled all of it's life. I'm the second owner.

Mine has it. I covered it with a decent CF dash kit and learned not to stare too closely.

The OEM part is expensive but I believe Dali and SoS have replacements.

Others have removed, sanded, and repainted then replaced (seems like a good way to go to me IMO if you can match the door inserts too).

Now if there was a way to patch the dash crack near the temp sensor!

;)

My "92 has the wrinkles on the center panel. It was like that when I bought it in Dec. 2001. But it's a TX NSX so the heat it inevitable. Which this thread reminds me that I need to fix that. Thanks.

My '96 has some on the center upper console/vents and also a little on the driver door. Car is from the San Diego area so probably lots of sun (oh poor residents!).

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to address this with the pieces in place, or does it have to be a disassemble/reassemble. I was wondering if this coating can be slit with an small art knife (don't know the official name) and peeled off. From what I've read, the underside looks OK by itself.

If it's over 3 years old or has over 35k miles it's gonna have a wrinkle somewhere. It's the curse of the NSX.... :eek:

So far, this survey has NOT come up with a wrinkle on a later model car.

Does anyone with a '97 or later car have wrinkles? If so, was the car exposed to a lot of heat or sunlight?

Back