• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SURVEY SAYS *****

THE NEW NSX IS COMING AND IT WILL UNDOUBTLY BE WORLD CLASS. WITH A V8 AND BETWEEN 400-450 H.P. IT WILL ALSO HAVE UPDATED TECHNOLOGY IE. F1 SEMI AUTO TRANNY, GPS, ETC.
ALL THIS AT A TARGET PRICE OF $55-60K. YOU KNOW HONDA WILL DESIGN AND ENGINEER THE NEW NSX TO BE FASTER AND BETTER HANDLING, SO THE QUESTION IS DO YOU KEEP YOUR NSX AS A CLASSIC OR DO YOU TRADE IN AND/OR BUY THE NEW ONE?
ITS A TOUGHY BUT I PROBABLY WOULD GO FOR THE NEW NSX.

THE FIRST PART I GOT FROM AN ARTICLE IN ROAD AND TRACK IN REGARDS TO WHEN THE NEW CAR MIGHT DEBUT AND PRICE POINT. THE TRANNY AND NEW HANDLING FROM MEETING HONDA ENGINEERS AT
THIS YEARS FOMULA ONE RACE IN MONTREAL. WHEN THE NEW NSX ACTUALLY DEBUTS IS STILL A QUESTION MARK.

My opinion will likely differ from the majority. I WILL definitely keep my current NSX!! I know it sounds like a simple opinion, but I can't wait until the new one comes out just so everybody can see the non-existent depreciation. Remember, however, the hopes and dreams that we are all having in regards to the next gen. are simply rumor and not facts. By the way, IF it does come out around 50-60k, it definitely doesn't mean that we'll be able to buy them at this price.......or even near it. The handmade, aluminum, "classic", first gen. NSX's will hold their value because people will still demand it. I will keep mine AND buy the new one. That is the only answer that I can fathom.

------------------
pls. visit my page w/ lots of info, pics, new classifieds & discussion board (very new) @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

It will be truly amazing if Honda builds a state-of-the-art next-gen NSX w/a 400HP V-8 and F1 transmission, keeps it as exotic as the current model, and prices it at $55K. If it can compete with the Ferrari 360 at 40% the price... wow, I hope I'm not just dreaming. I don't see how they can do it.

I love my '91 NSX. So far there's nothing out there that would be worth the money to trade for. If that changes, I'd consider it, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm happy.
smile.gif

BTW, why are you shouting? (Using only capital letters implies that you are shouting.)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 August 2000).]

I'm sticking with my classic first-gen NSX!

I don't need anything more from a car than what the NSX currently gives me. Its current balance perfeclty fits my personality.

Sure I'll be disappointed if it comes out at a lower price point, and IF it causes the value of mine to drop. But there was a reason why I had to get my NSX this year...I just don't think I could like a car more that this.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 11 August 2000).]

I can't remember where I get it from..but I heard/read the new gen NSX will be the most expensive car Honda has ever made and which sounds reasonable.

A little late for me, but knowing more about the (lack of) changes since '97 I have to question why I bought a new one rather than shop for a barely used one.

If whatever the next NSX turns out to be is cheaper than the current iteration then that'd really suck for us depreciation-wise.

It's a tough call. New performance over exclusivity. I may have to go with the latter. Or have both cars.

I think our current car will be considered one of automotive history's greatest secrets.

Honda is clearly going after the Porsche Boxster's sales with this new generation. (They've failed to dent the 911 market.) I don't know if that's my crowd.

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX 5spd
1999 Cosmos BMW M Coupe 5spd

LOTS OF GOOD POINTS ABOUT KEEPING THE 1ST
GEN NSX AND JUST ORDERING THE NEW ONE. I STRONGLY DISAGREE THAT THE NSX IS AFTER THE BOXTER MARKET AS THE HONDA S2000 HANDLES THAT DEPT. VERY WELL. FORGET PORSCHE, I BELIEVE
HONDA IS TARGETING THE FERRARI 360. THEY'RE
BOTH MID ENGINE CARS WITH HIGH REVS. THE NSX
WAS INSPIRED BY HONDA'S INVOLVEMENT IN FORMULA ONE RACING. ONE OF MY FAVORITE DRIVERS OF ALL TIME ARYTON SENNA EVEN HELPED
EVALUATE THE HANDLING DYNAMICS OF THE NSX. LETS NOT FORGET THAT FERRARI BUILT THEIR REPUTAION IN FORMULA ONE. REMEMBER THE NSX RAISED THE BAR AND THATS WHY FERRARI REPLACED
THE 348 WITH THE 355.

jungd, you're talking about the car.

I'm talking about the market.

Yes, HONDA wants the NSX to perform like a Ferrari, even better (more F1 inspired as you pointed out.) But first Gen sales were a diapointment. If there's truly a $55K NSX on the horizon then, come on, they want that HUGE line up of Boxster buyers. Honda's not going to steal any buyers willing to fork out $160 for a Modena. Anyone disagree? I'm in business, I can see what Honda management is thinking.

I'm not comparing the cars. Perish the thought!

My point may be moot. There may no such thing as a $55K NSX. I hope there isn't.

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX 5spd
1999 Cosmos BMW M Coupe 5spd

[This message has been edited by Flying Low (edited 11 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Flying Low (edited 11 August 2000).]

Let me bud in once more. Many people speak of the low NSX sales as a failure... What everybody seems to be missing is that the NSX was intended to be an 'advertisement' for Acura (here in N. America), not a money making production car. Therefore, in no way, was it a failure. Honda/Acura loses money on every NSX ever sold. The car was created to boost Acura sales....and it did, tremendously. Now that that was accomplished, Acura is now looking to make money on the car (next gen. NSX) because, although it was an 'advertisement' originally, it is also a fantastic auto that has seemed to 'catch' on. But, I'd be very careful of the rumors that it will only be 55-60k. Firstly, this rumor was most likely spread just to create more interest and anticipation. And, secondly, whatever the M.S.R.P. ends up being; I'm sure we won't be able to buy it near that price. Expect to pay dearly for the next gen. NSX.......

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info, pics and a new classified & discussion board (very new) @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

When it came out the NSX had groundbreaking attributes. A 3.0 l V6 that produced 270 hp, VTEC and many other technical advances. I cannot see Honda going from a alluminum bodied exotic to a steel bodied 55k car just for sales purposes. The NSX (New Sportscar eXperimental) was named just that because when it came out it was just that an expermental; I'd expect that from the next gen NSX.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
the NSX was intended to be an 'advertisement' for Acura (here in N. America), not a money making production car

That is speculation with which I disagree. The factory was designed to produce 25 cars a day which is 7500 cars a year if the factory runs 300 days a year. They currently sell less than 1000 a year and that's the way it has been for quite some time.

I'm sure Honda would much rather sell 7500 a year. They probably sold about that many the first year but then it seems the novelty wore off and sales went into a dive.

The timing was also bad - the car was conceived while the exotic car market was hot in the late '80s but was introduced just as it crashed in the early '90s. Honda wanted the lower-end Ferrari and higher-end Porsche market. Those two markets had a bit of trouble with sales in the early '90s as well.

FLYING LOW,
YOU'RE RIGHT ON THE MARKETING OF THE NSX IN THAT IT HAS NOT BEEN A COMMERCIAL SUCCESS AGAINST ESTABLISHED MARKS LIKE PORSCHE. IT WILL BE A CHALLENGE FOR HONDA TO IDENTIFY WHETHER TO CONTINUE THE NSX AS AN IMAGE BUILDER VS. COMMERCIAL SUCCESS. LETS FACE IT, THE JAPANESE AUTOMAKERS HAVE FAILED IN THE HIGH END SPORTS CAR MARKET NOT BECAUSE OF
INFERIORITY OF THE PRODUCT BUT LACKING THE LONG-TERM HERITAGE AND PRESTIGE THAT THE EUROPEAN MAKERS HAVE BUILT OVER THE YEARS. I BELIEVE THAT IF HONDA CAN HANG ON AND CONTINUE WITH THE NSX IT WILL ALSO STRENGTHEN
THE IMAGE OF THE CAR.

Back