• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

switching back to stock air box

I'm attempting to install a stock air box on my car to replace my RM racing intake. I thought I could handle this until I went to start my car and it wouldn't start. I took the air box back apart and was able to start the car (as the picture shows) and a big puff of white smoke came out. It kept smoking for a few seconds, then cleared up. I put the air filter and air box back together with the car running and everything seems fine now. My question is can I leave that tube (circled in yellow) from my RM intake instead of the stock resonator in there (since I don't have it)? I'm guessing I squished it with the air filter earlier and that's why my car wouldn't start? If I leave it in there am I losing power? Thanks!

fca74e28.jpg

fca74e27.jpg

I had a similar setup until I build my own intake which looks similar to the Cantrel Concepts AIS. I had a NACA duct mounted in the side intake with flex tubing running to the stock airbox. Although it does not look like yours does, I did not feel any decrease in power. But you want to be careful that you do not decrease the diameter of the airbox hole. My recomendation is if you want to keep the hose connected, try to find a way to connect the hose to the flange on the *outside* of airbox rather than how it is. I think it will be cleaner, and will provide better airflow.

Originally posted by Hiroshima:
My recomendation is if you want to keep the hose connected, try to find a way to connect the hose to the flange on the *outside* of airbox rather than how it is. I think it will be cleaner, and will provide better airflow.

Thanks Hiroshima, I guess I'll try that. The only problem is the diameter of the hose is smaller than the opening of the airbox. But, it's probably better than how I have it now.

[This message has been edited by stevefromatl (edited 11 February 2003).]

I am not sure what your setup is like but it looks like you have 3" flex piping leading from your side intake to your airbox. Most automotive parts stores have 4" flex tubing which should be wide enought to fit on the outside of the airbox flange(or will at least be closer).

But may I suggest the AIS but By Cantrel Concepts. The darn think sounds better than anything out there and will solve your issue with fitment.

If you choose to do a home-grown version, I have pictures of my old and current setup (35mm kind) I can take a picture of the picture if that would help...

LMK.

Jeff

Back