• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Synthetic Tranny Oil?

I've drained the 5 speed transmission oil from my '94 and would like to know the wisdom of installing Mobil1 in its place. Thanks!
As you already know if you've looked in the owner's manual or service manual, you can use motor oil or transmission fluid in your transmission. I've tried Honda manual transmission fluid, Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, and Redline MTL transmission fluid, and I noticed no difference among them in any way. Now I just use the Honda stuff.

As you already know if you've looked in the owner's manual or service manual, you can use motor oil or transmission fluid in your transmission. I've tried Honda manual transmission fluid, Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, and Redline MTL transmission fluid, and I noticed no difference among them in any way. Now I just use the Honda stuff.

i find by using m1 the gears grind a little more.

Hi;

I would just plain use the engineered HONDA MTL manual trans lube.. It's the
rite stuff.. They (HONDA) spend lots of time & money to make the rite stuff
for their needs.. I even use it in my crasher 89 accord that goes CT to FL non
stop in winter each way (2500 miles non stop) and it never misses a shift..
I also insist my kids use it in all their Honda's a 89 4ws with 300,000 on it and
all shifts perfectly, my NSX w/ 156,000 is perfect & it's a snap ring car.. It's
about 9 bucks a quart but well worth it..

Regards; Clem:smile:

i just nabbed a few quarts of the gm syncromesh FM and swapped mine out last week. i can tell a slight difference in the shifting(less notchy) on my MY94 w 108k.

i used the same stuff in my MY00 S2K as well and it was great.

ryan

Back