• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

T-top flew off...

two days ago when I was in a hurry to leave the house got on the HWY reaching 60 all a sudden I hear wind buzzing sound for 1 second and BUFFFF there gone my T-top flipping in the air as I can see in my rear view mirror. Luckily there wasn't anybody behind me, phewww... but yeah, that scared the hell out of my GF... because in the whole process she kept saying oh sh!t oh sh!t ....anyway, I pulled over and retrieved the t-top.

Oh wow. Definately good thing no one was behind! That would have been a real mess.

Curious - how badly was the top damaged?

:eek: I have worried about forgetting to latch the top myself. My wife always calls me obsessive compulsive when I check the latch each time we take a drive in my dream come true. I wish they had installed some kind of a warning light, sound or kill switch (eg. the clutch must be depressed to start the car) so if the top was on but the latches were not secure, you would be reminded!!

Did the top get badly damaged? If so, what did it cost to fix it?

At least is was only your cars top that got ripped off!:p

Hmmmmmmmmm, if that heavy top flew off at 60 mph, I can now imagine how hard it would be to design a soft top for the T .......

I have been doing some R&D on this issue for the last 3 years (yeah it takes that long) and even had a foldable template made for non-driving situations but was not satisfied with the fit and and finish ............ and no after market manufacturer wants to touch this for an application while the car is being driven due to liability concerns.

Similar situation happened to me once when I owned a C5 vette. It was almost comical (at least now it is), scary, and shameful all at the same time. It is strange how the Targa/T top will not give you any notification of not being latched until you hit 60 and it is instantly gone...woof. Luckily, no one was behind me like yourself, so I thought it might still be salvageable, until what happened next. I was running back up the highway to retrieve it when I saw this van approaching. Thinking that they would run it over, I was probably running like an idiot and freaking out trying to get to the top before they got too close and pointing at it so they wouldn't hit it. Well, the van must have thought I was a little special and decided it wanted to be as far away from me as possible. It swirved away from me and it just so happens that was the lane my top was in and BAM...bye bye top. I had to buy a new one. Ouch! I guess it was a lesson for me to never debate with the wife when you are trying to do something to your car. Oh well, no big deal just pay your deductible and turn it in to insurance. I was too embarrassed to tell anybody for a while though.

The 02's have a light system if the latch isn't secured properly the warning lights indicate it. I don't know if you can retrofit it for the 95 but it might be worth looking into

I saw a T-top fly off at NSXPO99 at Laguna. One of the track hands picked it up and it looked kinda mangled. It was on the front straight and I heard a whumph. The top flew up about 15 feet before it fluttered down.

It really supprises me that Acura does not have some kind of warning. I can see no reason why this would be difficult.

Good Luck.

Jeff

ROTFLMAO.........I have this mental image of a targa doing somersaults down the freeway.

I'm not laughing at you, just the sight of a car roof in the air.

PS - and I have a targa so in a way I'm laughing at myself too.

Hiroshima said:
I saw a T-top fly off at NSXPO99 at Laguna. One of the track hands picked it up and it looked kinda mangled. It was on the front straight and I heard a whumph. The top flew up about 15 feet before it fluttered down.

It really supprises me that Acura does not have some kind of warning. I can see no reason why this would be difficult.

They do have a warning - a red light on the icon of your car on the dash. Just like the door open, trunk open, etc. The T must be latched or the light is on.

S.L.

V12NSX said:
Hiroshima said:

They do have a warning - a red light on the icon of your car on the dash. Just like the door open, trunk open, etc. The T must be latched or the light is on.

S.L.

Exactly. All of them have a dashboard light that tells you if it's not latched or in the "clamshell" in the back.

Wow, I did not know the early Targa versions did not have a warning instrument pod light about the Targa not being secured. My 2000 Monaco Blue has that warning light.

Tan

I have a 95' and it does have a warning light if both latches are not secure. I had this happen to me one time when I had only one latch secured.

woah... you're a very fortunate guy!

i'm also curious as to any damage that was caused to the targa, and if it scratched the roof itself + sealing.

any pix? ;)

My warning light has saved me many times from taking off with one of the latches unlatched.

Related story:

I had a friend who had a new Trans Am in the Late 80's. He removed the top and placed them behind the car while working on the stereo. One behind each wheel. He got the amp in and backed out of the garage with stereo up; right over both tops!!!

I had a 944T and my top flew out on the way to the beach. It flew up and landed in the sticker bushes. I buffed out a few deep scratches and it was as good as new! One of my luckiest days!

nsxparts,
That is pretty impressive! Do you know/remember how fast you were going when it happened?

Slickspop said:
I have a 95' and it does have a warning light if both latches are not secure. I had this happen to me one time when I had only one latch secured.

lucky the top didnt fly off and land on the rear hatch,.. that would of been expensive :eek:

More info about warning light

I have a 1997, and am pretty sure I have no warning light. But two of you with earlier years both said you had it. Can you tell me where this light is, and if it comes on even before driving (so I could test it in the driveway)?

Any idea if it was stock or a dealer add-on, or something?

Chip

Re: More info about warning light

calexand said:
I have a 1997, and am pretty sure I have no warning light. But two of you with earlier years both said you had it. Can you tell me where this light is, and if it comes on even before driving (so I could test it in the driveway)?

Just unlatch one of the handles with the top still on and start the engine. You should see a red light on the lower part of the dash, between the tach and the speedometer, inside the little car icon that shows if a door is open. This is a standard safety feature as far as I know.

Re: More info about warning light

calexand said:

Any idea if it was stock or a dealer add-on, or something?

Chip

Yes, the warning light (just like the one that shows which door/trunk is open) is definitely a standard option. I have 95, and even the owner's manual clearly shows that if the latches are not locked, the light will show up in the "diagram" of the car warning light (horizontal red warning line on the roof in the diagram).

You may want to check your manual.

Back