• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tablets are getting better and bigger all the time.

This one is big enough to double as a notebook computer.

http://www.asustablets.us/

EeePadTransformerPrimeFinal_11.jpg

And why shouldn't they? Tablets, as we know them, will only be around another 3-4 years before the flexible tablets invade our lives.

For you Apple guys A very strong rumor is the Ipad 2 is coming out at the middle or end of Febuary

so dont go buy one yet.

as for stuff better than Apple well there will always be faster, better and cheaper stuff out that blows apple crap out of the water.

Steve passed on to a better place so will Apple.

Apple will beat all the tablet makers again in 2012 with the iBoard ;)

2012iboard_thumb.jpg

Yep. Not only do they currently have the best product, they will always have the best product. Everyone else will always trying to mimic what apple is doing because apple will always put their best foot forward.

For you Apple guys A very strong rumor is the Ipad 2 is coming out at the middle or end of Febuary

so dont go buy one yet.

as for stuff better than Apple well there will always be faster, better and cheaper stuff out that blows apple crap out of the water.

Steve passed on to a better place so will Apple.

rumor is iPad3 with higher res screen, quad core and better battery life. Of course, the first two don't go in line with better battery life. Also rumored is another iPad to launch in oct. So 2 iPads in 2012.

I just hope they put stereo speakers on it. mono is LAME.

I do think the tablet market will really change if win8 tablets have the same battery life as iPads. I don't need a bunch of apps if my full pc works.

I don't need a bunch of apps if my full pc works.

Dunno if I agree with that. If you recall, all tablets prior to the iPad WERE basically full PC's in tablet form factor -- and these were a dismal failure.

What Apple did differently was throw out the concept of trying to run a full native desktop on a tablet and introduce a more intuitive gesture based system and apps built around it.

Beyond the user interaction model, there's also the issue that tablets are substantially less powerful than traditional desktops/laptops. This is fine for web browsing/email/spreadsheets/casual gaming, and we'll see more and more cannibalization there, but there's always going to be a class of uses that will be much more efficient on a traditional desktop/laptop.

There's always going to be faster and cheaper.. doesn't mean it's necessarily better. Just as an example, my father in law has been a hardcore windows user since the beginning. Over the christmas break his machine got so badly infected with malware that he was forced to do a system restore. This in turn wiped out the last year's worth of his work (his last backup was a year old). Even after the restore the machine was so badly messed up that the browser was redirecting all over the place etc.

I asked him why he didn't just get a Mac and he started throwing out all the price arguments about how his acer only cost him $400 etc. I asked him how much his past year's work that he lost was worth, and I think that put things into perspective for him.

After hours of meticulously undeleting files and organizing them, I went out and bought him a MacbookAir and a Time capsule. He couldn't be happier. He doesn't have to worry about viruses/malware and the time capsule means that anytime his machine is on, it will automatically be making journaled backups in the background. The time capsule has also allowed him to extend his wireless range on the 2nd floor of the house, and add wireless printing with his existing printer.

Since he's constantly working on documents and powerpoints I think the part he loves best is being able to use time machine to go back and pull out any version of any file from the past. Yeah the setup cost more than the $400 acer he would have replaced it with, but it's also a lot lighter/longer battery life/better screen/faster and he never has to worry about manual backups or malware. The peace of mind it's afforded him is definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Dunno if I agree with that. If you recall, all tablets prior to the iPad WERE basically full PC's in tablet form factor -- and these were a dismal failure.

What Apple did differently was throw out the concept of trying to run a full native desktop on a tablet and introduce a more intuitive gesture based system and apps built around it.

Beyond the user interaction model, there's also the issue that tablets are substantially less powerful than traditional desktops/laptops. This is fine for web browsing/email/spreadsheets/casual gaming, and we'll see more and more cannibalization there, but there's always going to be a class of uses that will be much more efficient on a traditional desktop/laptop.

They Were a failure. Times have have changed. Battery life is far better. win8 user interface will be much more tablet friendly. We'll see.

When did you become so pro apple? Seems I recall you being more of a pc guy...

Carbonite and a hard drive format would have solved your father in laws problems.

Last edited:
They Were a failure. Times have have changed. Battery life is far better. win8 user interface will be much more tablet friendly. We'll see.

100% agree. But I don't think they were failures strictly because of battery life, it was because the interface was not suited to running full blown windows. Just like if Apple had shipped the iPad with the desktop version of OSX, it would have been a dismal failure.

Metro changes things completely on the Windows side, and I think they will make tablets very compelling. In fact, I think their tighter control (much like Apple's) will probably make for a much better user experience than Android.

Carbonite and a hard drive format would have solved your father in laws problems.

A full reformat would solve the problem but I think that would defeat the purpose... especially since he was already running the latest Norton etc. and still got infected. It's just a matter of time before he'd be back to the same state.

Carbonite is nice, but it has two big failings IMO: 1) It's not so great when you're dealing with large multimedia files 2) it does not store incremental/journaled backups. Just having backups period would have been a great first step for my FIL, but having incremental backups takes it one step further to being a really great backup solution.

Back