• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TAITEC JGTC Exhaust: 10.8 hp, 11.2 lb/ft dyno proven power gain

We recently dyno'ed the TAITEC JGTC Exhaust to determine the actual power gains, if any. Based on feedback from customers, and our own experience, the exhaust has always had impressive perceived power along with a great sound.

The exhaust itself features a unique design of relatively narrow cross-width pipe with long-length tubing with separate canisters isolating the cylinder banks. The tuned design was developed by TAITEC in Japan for optimum low and top-end power. The exhaust is available in both parallel and center-exit designs.

The test used a 1992 NSX with 68,720 miles. The tests were completed by a local independent dyno shop that uses an advanced load-based chassis dyno. The load-based dyno (as opposed to inertia-type dynos) has the ability to introduce load based among many pre-determined factors including aerodynamic and rolling resistance. The load simulates real-world road conditions which in turn affects factors such as dynamic drivetrain loss. Due to this capability, load-based chassis dynos best measure actual power from the vehicle, and use less correction for more accurate and consistent results. These types of dynos typically measure 5-8% less peak power compared to inertia dynos such as DynoJet.

Dynos were completed back-to-back with the only change being the removal of the OEM factory exhaust and replacement of the TAITEC JGTC Exhaust.

The results were quite impressive. Through the RPM range, the exhaust increased horsepower by 10.8 RWHP and torque by 11.2 ft/lbs. The most impressive result was an almost consistent torque increase of 8-10 LB/FT through the entire powerband.

The car resulted in the following peak results:

stock configuration: 218.00 RWHP, 162.2 LB/FT
TAITEC JGTC Exhaust: 222.40 RWHP, 169.4 LB/FT

JGTC_Dyno_small.gif

for larger: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...s/NSX/TAITEC/JGTC_Parallel_Exit/JGTC_Dyno.gif

You can find out more about the exhaust here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/focus.asp?product=eap-113
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/focus.asp?product=eap-111

You can watch a movie of the dyno run here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...cts/NSX/TAITEC/JGTC_Parallel_Exit/DynoRun.WMV

Regards,
-- Chris

JGTC_wall_450.jpg

Last edited:
Dammit.. I wish I would have bought that one Tiger had!!!! ARG!!!

Hi -- We've e-mailed you back, what is your e-mail to confirm? The GRF bumper is not made for the 2002 lights. If you'd like to use it, you could buy the 2002 upper bumper we have for sale in the for-sale area and graft it to the GRF bumper. Otherwise, Kawagen has some new bumpers we will be adding to our website shortly.

Regards,
-- Chris

RedBull said:
chris,
i have emailed you a couple of time with no answer..... can i use this bumper below for the 02 conversion? would it fit? if not, any bumper that would? what do you suggest?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/GRF/bumper/

Chris, do you give discounts to NSXCA members now? I remember something about that in a mailing list, but I think it might have been only for specific items..

thank you ...i'll wait to see Kawagen bumper. when do you plan to have it in your inventory listing?

Chris@SoS said:
Hi -- We've e-mailed you back, what is your e-mail to confirm? The GRF bumper is not made for the 2002 lights. If you'd like to use it, you could buy the 2002 upper bumper we have for sale in the for-sale area and graft it to the GRF bumper. Otherwise, Kawagen has some new bumpers we will be adding to our website shortly.

Regards,
-- Chris

Chris@SoS said:
The car resulted in the following peak results:

stock configuration: 218.00 RWHP, 162.2 LB/FT
TAITEC JGTC Exhaust: 222.40 RWHP, 169.4 LB/FT

I'm having trouble with the math. You're claiming over 10 RWHP gain but your numbers work out to 4.4 RWHP difference. What am I missing?

You can find the dyno above now, or click on this link:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...s/NSX/TAITEC/JGTC_Parallel_Exit/JGTC_Dyno.gif

Ian: your calculations are based on the peak horsepower and torque reading. What is most significant is the power gain through out the powerband, and at it's most significant is 10.8 RWHP and torque by 11.2 ft/lbs. This is most clearly illustrated by the dyno we just posted. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
-- Chris

hp increase with headers?

If you add headers to this car, it would be interesting to also see those increases (especially to those of us who have ordered Taitec headers from you in the group buy).

Thanks for posting the exhaust information.

Re: hp increase with headers?

reinhart said:
If you add headers to this car, it would be interesting to also see those increases (especially to those of us who have ordered Taitec headers from you in the group buy).

Thanks for posting the exhaust information.

This car had aftermarket headers and Intake. So the dyno graph you are seeing is not accurate if you just swapped exhausts on a stock car. (seth's car was dyno'd, and he told me that)

manx469,

I have already had a SOS-confirmation (sounds funny, doesn't it) that the batch with my Taitec-headers have arrived. Since I live in Europe it will take a couple of weeks to get here because of all the paperwork. Am really looking forward to them :)
I don't think the group-buy is still active though.

Re: taitec exhaust

Hi Stephen --

We usually stock both. I'm sorry, the group buy is currently over, however, we can extend a discount if both are purchased at the same time. Give us a jingle to discuss.

Cheers,
-- Chris

manx469 said:
How long does it take to get the taitec exhaust and headers from the order date? Is the special pricing still available?

Thanks,
Stephen

Chris@SoS said:
You can find the dyno above now, or click on this link:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...s/NSX/TAITEC/JGTC_Parallel_Exit/JGTC_Dyno.gif

Ian: your calculations are based on the peak horsepower and torque reading. What is most significant is the power gain through out the powerband, and at it's most significant is 10.8 RWHP and torque by 11.2 ft/lbs. This is most clearly illustrated by the dyno we just posted. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
-- Chris

Perhaps the most accurate way to determine the gains would be to do something different than Ian's method or Chris' method. The whole curve would have to be examined, and the average gain/loss over the whole rev band would be the most telling indicator of what kind of area under the curve you're gaining.

An extreme hypothetical example of where Ian's method or Chris' method would fail is if the Taitec's curve was below stock for the majority of the rev band, and suddenly spiked at one particular rpm. The car would be performing more slowly compared to stock for most of an acceleration run, except for a brief moment where it showed a blip of superior performance. This obviously is a hypothetical case I'm describing, but you get the idea. Looking at peak gains at just a single specific rpm can be misleading.

From the graphs, it looks like the Taitec produces less hp and torque below 3100 rpm, compared to stock. So if you're a driver who tends to drive mostly in that range, then perhaps you'd be better off with stock. I can't tell from the graph at what rpm the 10.8 hp and 11.2 ft-lbs gains occur, but if you do most of your driving at that rpm, then the Taitec would be great for you. But I'd still check the gains around that rpm, not just at a single particular rpm.

-CiaoBoy

Dynos are ran with the wheels in motion. The engine speed is kept at a constant RPM before going WOT. The engine is spinning at about 2500 RPM when this happens, so anything under 3000 is not consistent enough between runs to be relevant.

As you mention though, the area difference below the curves is a very good tool for understanding net power gains through the powerband.

Cheers,
-- Chris

CiaoBoy said:
Perhaps the most accurate way to determine the gains would be to do something different than Ian's method or Chris' method. The whole curve would have to be examined, and the average gain/loss over the whole rev band would be the most telling indicator of what kind of area under the curve you're gaining.

An extreme hypothetical example of where Ian's method or Chris' method would fail is if the Taitec's curve was below stock for the majority of the rev band, and suddenly spiked at one particular rpm. The car would be performing more slowly compared to stock for most of an acceleration run, except for a brief moment where it showed a blip of superior performance. This obviously is a hypothetical case I'm describing, but you get the idea. Looking at peak gains at just a single specific rpm can be misleading.

From the graphs, it looks like the Taitec produces less hp and torque below 3100 rpm, compared to stock. So if you're a driver who tends to drive mostly in that range, then perhaps you'd be better off with stock. I can't tell from the graph at what rpm the 10.8 hp and 11.2 ft-lbs gains occur, but if you do most of your driving at that rpm, then the Taitec would be great for you. But I'd still check the gains around that rpm, not just at a single particular rpm.

-CiaoBoy

Back