• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taitec Lightweight GT Exhaust

I have a 93 NSX, with comptech headers, and a taitec GTLW exhaust. with the stock cats its a nice sound. But i wanted stupid loud and less restriction. I got the test pipes off science of speed. the new hardware was nice, did it myself. the noise is intense, in the city and suburbs it echos off the walls soooo nicely, its like race car loud. it takes away the taitecs signature sound but it doesnt sound bad. but with the testpipes, the exhaust will smell, but only to other not you and make the back of your car dirty alot faster, but no big deal really. Another guy on an NSX run in socal had the same setup but with high flow cats, it was loud, not as much but with no smell. i may be getting high flow cats soon. Trust me if you get the test pipes, the F355 wont be able to hear his car over your NSX. (if you have any kind of aftermarket headers). I also noticed alot better throttle control, it seems to gain rpm a bit faster. but who knows. Test pipes are the way to go. I also had it smogged with the test pipes on, the ppm's or whatever it measures in the percent was at around 14% the legal was less than 1% i think, so if your second car is a Prius dont get them.

Last edited:
Call me an idiot, but what's the difference btwn test pipes, straight pipes and no cats???

Straight pipes = no headers??
No cats = no C.converter, just goes, pipes to headers to engine??
test pipes = ???

test pipe=straight pipe= small tubes that replace the cats between the headers and exhaust. To the op ,yes you may get a cel but search on prime there are solutions on obd2 cars.With test pipes you will be at a pretty loud level,more than 98 db.

Because the F355 system is an octave higher than your GTLW.

Funny, I have a 91 with stock headers/cats and the GTLW and want more sound too. I'm thinking hi-flow cats but am not sure if it will increase the sound by enough (but I don't want to lose the awesome tone of the GTLW so NO Test Pipes for me). I'm actually going to open a thread to get more feedback on what the hi-flows will really do to my setup for those that have similar. I will be watching this thread closely as well. I hear you 100% on your quandry! I'm in the same boat.

I had Comptech headers Gt lightweight with test pipes and then high flow cats. My car is a 92 so no codes. You will throw a code since your car is a 98
My car with headers+test pipes was really insanely loud..I switched to the high flow cats which still was loud but not as bad. You could easily here me coming well before you saw me. Per my friends. But just remember so do the police. Reason why I put the high flows in. Had to tone it down some. After about two years I put my Taitec JGTC exhaust back on with the high flow cats. I got tired of the gt lightweight's sound. I actually liked the JGTC better but bought the Gt lightweight only to cut poundage.

Last edited:
i never believe in compromising sound quality on my cars for the sake of weight... i chose my pride v2 based on sound and sound alone. with headers, it is the perfect sound and volume for me... good thing since i have no stereo to listen to.

I'm not sure what your expectations are, but if your expecting it to sound like your friends 355 well, you'll be dissapointed. Loud yes, 355, no! If I'm off base here then my apoligies. Every NSX owner wants Ferrari sound, but their just not designed like that.:frown:

I'm not sure what your expectations are, but if your expecting it to sound like your friends 355 well, you'll be dissapointed. Loud yes, 355, no! If I'm off base here then my apoligies. Every NSX owner wants Ferrari sound, but their just not designed like that.:frown:

true it wont sound like a ferrari with the gtlw, but with other exhausts like the pride/ gt one, it has a downright exotic sound to it. some would say it sounds like a ferrari, some would say it sounds better.

I have the same exhaust with comptech headers. I put straight pipes on and I absolutely love it. The car is loud. The first day I was unsure but after driving it I'm in love. You will need anti foulers unless the test pipe has a cell correct built in. I have an 00 and no cell

I fitted top speed headers + GTLW a couple of years back and it is without doubt the best sounding sports car I've ever owned (and there have been many) and one of my favourite mods to my NSX.

This setup produces a genuine sporty note but doesn't 'boom' or resonate in the car, whether around town or on the highway. I frequently receive compliments on the note, from passengers and friends who hear me go by. And personally I think it sounds better than a Ferrari , or Lambo or any other sports car I can think of !

And definitely no need for test pipes, that would be way too loud.

I would never expect my car to sound as good or better than the 355. I believe it is the single most, best sound produced in any OEM, street legal car.

I would like mine to be louder though.

And with my experience, videoing/recording exhaust notes do very little justice, hearing it in person is the only way to go!

Last edited:
Switch cars with friend....problem solved!

Back