• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taking apart the gearbox

A_J

Experienced Member
When I bought my spare engine after my harmonic balancer failed, I also got a gearbox with the "snap ring fail" along on the purchase.

According to the manual, when taking apart the gearbox, the main and countershaft should stay in the clutch side of the housing. But on mine, they are jammed stuck in the outer half of the housing. Anyone got a good tip on how to get the shafts loose from the housing?

When looking into the "snap ring" hole, I can see that the bearing has moved a little bit out (apx. 1/8"), but wont come all the way. Could there be pieces of the snap ring stuck in the groove maybe? I have removed all the remains of the ring I gould get at and "measured" them, the combined lenght of the pieces is apx the same as a complete snap ring.

There is no question some snap-ring remains and is jammed in the groove. You will need to cut the back of the case off. There is no way to separate it otherwise, since the shift fork mechanism is bolted to the clutch housing. Been there, done that:).

Regards,
LarryB

There is no question some snap-ring remains and is jammed in the groove. You will need to cut the back of the case off. There is no way to separate it otherwise, since the shift fork mechanism is bolted to the clutch housing. Been there, done that:).

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks Larry

You were right as always :wink: There was a tiny piece of the snapring jammed between the bearing and the housing. Got it all apart and the gears and shafts look ok.

Back