• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taking NSX to San Diego?

Looks like I will be moving to San Diego/La Jolla area for one year. I am thinking of shipping my NSX there as a daily driver. Will also be bringing family SUV, but for all practical purposes the NSX would be what I would be driving to work/commuting.

Most of my work will be in the La Jolla/University Area but I'm sure I will be driving into the city frequently as well. Is San Diego NSX friendly -- potholes, dips in roads/parking lots, speed bumps; safe? My car is slightly lowered (not slammed) and it's SOS supercharged. Given that i will be there for a relatively short time I am hoping to just keep my NY plates and not deal with CA emissions.

I would appreciate any advice if this is a good idea. Otherwise, will look into some other options. Thanks.

Yes. its a great idea bring your NSX to SD. 90%+ of the roads here are very good. My car is 1.5" lowered and no issues with speed bumps at an angle but I don;t have a front lip. Plenty places to drive all year around and LJ area is pretty safe but you should always be cautious. You should come to one of the club drives organized by Les/JC and meet all the players or go to the Irvine C&C if you are into that kinda thing. You can keep the NY plates on w/o hassle with CA smog. Should you get pulled over, show the cop your NY stuff and tell him you are here for a short time.

Congrats! I drive mine all the time in SD. When it gets cold the roads in La Jolla can get slippery though so just be mindful. I almost lost it on Torrey pines one night lol

Dtsd is OK if you pay attention.

Enjoy! Come meet up with us.

Come on down, you will love the weather and you may never go back to NY! Well except for the smog thing, and the COLA, and the taxes, and traffic, and....

But the drives we take are awesome! Let us know when you get to town.

Omar! Glad to hear you are moving to SD. SD and La Jolla especially will be great for your NSX and you can drive year-round. I used to live in La Jolla myself and enjoyed it despite the expense. There are a ton of great drives in the SD/SoCal area and my all-time favorite drive, Palomar Mountain, is right there (better IMHO than Tail of the Dragon and even Skyline Drive). Also the SoCal car scene is of course top-tier. I've heard Irvine C&C is competitive with Katie's C&C haha

- - - Updated - - -

Also Omar, you should definitely drive the NSX cross-country ;) you won't get too many justifiable opportunities to do that and the trip will be awesome.

If you're able to make it to SD/LJ in advance of bringing your NSX, be sure to take a look at parking where you may live or work. There are quite a few parking areas that are underground or in structures that have difficult ingress and egress for lowered cars.

Thanks, I appreciate all the responses. Sounds like bringing the NSX is the way to go. My only concern is what Fury mentioned with egress/ingress of lots. Unfortunately I won't be able to scout out the parking situation on any apartments or workplaces (there will be a few different scattered around) so I may just have to take that leap of faith.

My other options would be to bring my E46 M3 or look into a 1-year lease (if that even exists, never leased before) for something new, or buy something for a year (seems like a hassle).

Hope to meet you guys when I'm there, preferably with the NSX.

You should bring the NSX, you will regret not having it here especially when we have our monthly drives and meets. Let us know when you will be coming and looking forward to meeting you while you're here.

If you don't bring it you will definitely regret it. Unlike New York, you can drive the NSX practically 365 days/year here. If you are that concerned about dips/ingress/egress, there are only 14 small bolts holding the front lip on the car. Take the lip off and you can drive ANYWHERE without hassle. I checked into shipping my car to CT this September and the shipper told me that removing the front lip was REQUIRED before they would accept the car so I intend to take it off before shipping and will put it inside the car with makita so I can re-install once I get there.

I was at La jolla UCSD area last week. You will love driving the nsx there. Freeways transition ramps are sharp and smooth. Road elevations changes are crazy too.

would be a crime not to take the NSX with you to SoCal....

You're never gonna wanna leave:redface:

Gonna have to hit up Palomar for sure....Let us know when you'll be here.

Thanks SoCal crowd - you guys are so welcoming. There's unfortunately no NSX community here (and honestly not that much car culture in general) so I really look forward to things like drives with everybody.

I am getting the NSX serviced up and plan to bring it. I'm tentatively looking at being there sometime in September.

Oh one other downside no one mentioned; rock chips. I didn't realize until after I left SoCal how much crap there is on the roads there. Only Texas is worse. Sand, dirt, gravel, etc. just sits on the road and there is too much traffic tracking more onto the interstate than the cleaning crews can keep up with. If you can get a clear bra, do so.

Back