• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taking off the Targa by yourself

If you take it off from the driver's side, keep it in the same position and walk around to the passenger side. It should just fit in without having to adjust it or turn it in your hands. It weighs about 19lbs but is a little odd sized.

I take it off and stowe it from the driver's side. After lifting it out, I lower it vertically and rest the end on my shoe (not the garage floor). Then reverse my hands on the sides, flip it 180 degrees, and slide it into the storage compartment. It's easy for me. In fact, it's easier for me to do it alone than to have help.

You'll get the hang of it.
MikeC

Dewain27 said:
I am not having problems with it putting it in.. just the black cover wanting to slam down as I am sliding it in and opening the latch for the cover with one hand..

I thought there was a little leather strap with a snap on it that held the clamshell up close to the glass hatch? I may be mistaken on the newer ones though.

The black clamshell cover should be held open by a leather strap located at the driver's side. The strap is held in place by a snap. You unsnap the strap, then open the clamshell lid and hook the strap to the lid to hold it open. If your strap is missing, then I can see why you are having problems holding the lid up and putting in the top at the same time.

If the glass cover isn't staying up, then the gas shocks are bad and need to be replaced.

If all is working properly, the glass hatch must be open and the clamshell top must be open and held by the strap before you take the top off the car. Don't try to open it or prop it up with the top in your hands.

Good luck

Are you connecting the strap as shown in the pics below?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Or this way? (the incorrect way)
attachment.php

heathbar0 said:
I just bought a replacment strap from Acura, it was about $15

And now you have your secret sauce!!! :biggrin:

1) Get it off by unlatching both levers and sliding the locking mechanism.

2) Strongest , most coordinated arm in the middle of the roof and lift straight up and off. A rag or towel is recommended to minimize fingerprints.

3) Place the free end on my shoe and spin it 180 degrees.

4) Have the storage compartment open and ready to load.

5) Don't drop it. :frown: :eek:

Danny RED SR 71.
REPEAL V.C. 22351

All the advise above is right on. I also use a pair on leather work gloves I picked up at Sam's club to open the hatch and handle the roof and re close the hatch so I don't get finger prints and hand oils all over eveything. The gloves also add to the stability by allowing a firmer grip so the top doesn't slip in your hands. I now store my gloves in my new NSX OEM map bag I just installed behind the drives seat http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62147 :biggrin: :biggrin:

I like pass' method. The spinning on the foot is a lazy way of staying on the same side. There's risk.

Danny RED SR 71
REPEAL V.C. 22351
:smile: :biggrin: :wink:

wow! I seem to be able to take my top off and store it in under a minute with no problems. I always open and prop the clamshell first.

start the car to let the engine warm up while you stow the top; standing outside of the driver door with the windows down, pop open the back glass hatch; unlatch the driver side; lift open glass; open clam shell and hold it open with black leather snappy thing; walk around to passenger side and unlatch that side of the top; take out top and walk around car to driver side; stow top; secure clam shell; shut glass hatch.

the end of this proces puts you back at the driver door entrance where you can get in and find a good track to listen to before enjoying your NSX.

J

:redface: don't know if i should share, but my wife actually found the strap as i was struggling the first few times.... :redface:

Ok.... I now am fully aware of me being a NSX Noob.... I found the strap before actually reading the thread, but I think this is a great thread for new owners who are like me and just never really saw it till after trying it a few times. :D

So, go ahead and give me the newbie jokes......

my 1st nsx was a '00. one day my 17 y.o. son removed the top and while attempting to store it, dropped it against the left rear quarter and dented the car, slightly bent the top lip. <ouch> $1,500 later the dent was gone and panel painted.

i *hate* when that happens.

Not sure if it was in the manual or the previous seller told me, but when putting the top back on, I press down on top with a little weight before latching in. I do this for both sides.

Seems like I heard doing this would improve the seal / reduce wind noise at higher speeds.

Probably just a myth, but I do it anyway.

Back