• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tale Of the Dragon Drive.

hey South east Guys.

I am 7 days away from my 1 year Anniversary Purchase of My NSX and am looking at returning to the famed Dragon for a day or 2 of driving.

I know that January and February are the best months to be there because there is no traffic anywhere on the thing.

Is any one up for a weekend meet there around the end of January? If I get any interested people here I am going to solicit other regions to see if they want to join in.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
Joe

No traffic for a reason. All roads in that area need to be driven very conservatively this time of year. Some roads will be closed (sections of the blue ridge) others are passable only with 4wd (cherohola). 129 will have icey and/or sandy spots.

Go mid week in decent weather months to avoid traffic. Enjoy all the roads in the area. 129 is fun, but after a few passes you'll appreciate the long sweepers and views of the Cherohola. Wyah Bald road is just as much fun as 129 and far less traveled. On the weekend do your dragon runs in the early morning (sunrise), then park it, set your chair up and watch the show.:biggrin:

Yup, it will be snowy or potentially snowy up there through March. I would suggest going on the dragon on a Monday or Tuesday in April, that will give you good weather with a minimum of grandpa bikes (Harleys) on the road to slow you down.

I will caution you about the Dragon. It seems the Harley owners have been doing a lot of complaining recently (as old farts are known to do) about the sport bikers on the road. This has resulted in a significantly increased police presence there, mostly on the TN side of the mountain, and they are not afraid to hand out speeding tickets. Why you would take a Harley on a road like that is beyond me, but they are there, driving slow and they don't pull over when being over taken as was the custom until recently. Grrr!!!

I agree that the Cherohola is more fun to drive! And much better views!

Last year I spent a whole weekend up there in January and had sunny and 60 weather. I just assumed it was like that year round being as far south as it is. Apparently it is not :eek:

I guess Ill have to dig this back up in March/april

Joe

im interested in going... I have done the palomar canyon road and malibu road but a lot of people have had a great experience on this tale of the dragon and I would like to try out. Please post a date when you guys are going. I do know that canyon roads can get icy and i'm looking at around beginning of summer.:smile:

I plan to do the Cherohala/Dragon/Foothills pkwy on Feb 16 and Feb 18th on the way up and back. Going to gatlinburg so hopefully the weather will be good enough to take the NSX.

anyone ever drove up HWY 68 from Ducktown, TN to Telico Plains? That road looks like a lot of fun too. I sure hope I have good wx that weekend. Curvy roads the whole way!

Last edited:
Whenever you all decide to come up here and do it, let me know.

Maybe show a kid an NSX or two? Looking to buy this summer.

The Dragon is unforgiving and does not disappoint. TN State Troopers have been crawling all over it lately. Take caution.

Weather is nuts here. 70 today. 20 tomorrow. Get a good forecast.

We were planning to go back again in April - after the snow, but before the summer campers show up.

We went for the first time on Veteran's Day weekend last year- was perfect timing - little traffic, leaves were changing, cold enough to keep some of the bikes away, we'll likely go again this November.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/AlbumSlideshow.aspx?a=462823

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/AlbumSlideshow.aspx?a=464927

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/AlbumSlideshow.aspx?a=464905

Will keep an eye out here to see if it seems as though a group will be getting together.

-Dave

Maybe we could get another Tennessee meet together this time in the east. We did it mid summer last year and it was HOT. Plus we had it in Nashville and didn't even get one local NSX :eek: .

usafdarkhorse,
Even if this doesn't happen i was planning to bring mine to Knoxville in March, i'll take you for a ride :wink: .

Maybe we could get another Tennessee meet together this time in the east. We did it mid summer last year and it was HOT. Plus we had it in Nashville and didn't even get one local NSX :eek: .

I'd be up for an East TN meet, esp if the weather doesn't cooperate for me in a few weeks.

"usafdarkhorse,
Even if this doesn't happen i was planning to bring mine to Knoxville in March, i'll take you for a ride ."

Excellent. I'll bring my beater Datsun along so I can feel special.

Titanium, still lookin to hook up sometime soon but I know weather has not been cooperating lately. :tongue:

Also, I know of another Z guy in Maryville who's running with a 400hp turbo L28 240Z and wants to know when you all are coming down to the Dragon. :eek:

I'd love to make any E TN area gathering. Maybe we can organize something?

I'd love to make any E TN area gathering. Maybe we can organize something?

This needs to be discussed.

June is too far away for the upcoming SESM event. Need something to hold us over till then. I think mid March would be the earliest for something IMO, as the higher elevations could still be slippery before then.

This needs to be discussed.

June is too far away for the upcoming SESM event. Need something to hold us over till then. I think mid March would be the earliest for something IMO, as the higher elevations could still be slippery before then.

End of March is good for me. Cold enough to keep the bikes away but warm enough for the Xs to play.

:biggrin:

Hi Mark,
I will get the ball rolling :wink: .

Tennessee Meet

I think you still have my cell. Call if I can help?

The map below is a route I drive whenever I get over that way. Its a longish drive, but I always have a good time. Food for thought?

Route.jpg

Back