• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tapping from the motor.

I've just recently picked up a 95 nsx and had a question about a little bit of tapping I'm hearing from the motor. The car has 46k miles on it and looks practically new. It seems as if the car was leased until about 2001 or so where it had about 20k miles on it and then titled to one owner around there. I bought the car from the only titled owner after the leased owners had traded it back. I assume the valves have never been adjusted. I checked for an exhaust leak and found none. When I put the clutch in the sound goes away. Are the fuel injectors on this car fairly loud or is it possible that the valves do need to be adjusted? I understand it's not supposed to be the quietest thing in the world but I want to know if I should look into it or not worry about it. TIA!

It's probably time for a valve job. Just for the record, when I bought my '93 3 years ago with 70,000 miles on it I was the fourth owner. The car came with complete documentation including every service receipt by each of the previous owners. 2 of them paid for valve jobs which were never done. When I took the car to MCA Motorsports in Miami for a new timing belt/water pump/tune up etc... The owner told me the valve covers had never been removed, the car still had the original fuel and air filters too.

Some dealers simply suck!

:eek: That's kind of scary! I suppose if I have it done now I'll be able to tell if they actually did the work or not. That reminds me, I should probably do a fuel filter too. The air filter looks ok so it's possible the fuel filter was done as well. Do you guys have a preferred source for parts other than the stealership? I just got reamed for ~$300 for hood and glass shocks last week. The same day I ordered them I found a pair at science of speed for ~$90 Any idea what the going rate for valve adjustment is??

Hugh said:
It's probably time for a valve job. Just for the record, when I bought my '93 3 years ago with 70,000 miles on it I was the fourth owner. The car came with complete documentation including every service receipt by each of the previous owners. 2 of them paid for valve jobs which were never done. When I took the car to MCA Motorsports in Miami for a new timing belt/water pump/tune up etc... The owner told me the valve covers had never been removed, the car still had the original fuel and air filters too.

Some dealers simply suck!

Hugh said:
For parts go to http://www.acuraoemparts.com/ that's the online parts dept for Delray Acura. Don't order online but call them at 561-265-0000 (option 3) and ask for Ciro. Tell him you're a friend of Hugh from NSXPrime and he'll take care of you.

Excellent! Thanks :biggrin:

after i got my valve adjustment done the ticking got quieter but not fully gone

Back